Wednesday, May 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

Just a couple of weeks ago, James's FJ wager today would have set a new record. Now it's just like, "Oh, he wagered about $40,000 and ended up a little north of $101,000. NBD."

I don't know whether James will win 75 games or even come close. But his streak of 14 consecutive correct FJ's and counting also looks like a record that will stand for a long time.

On today's FJ, I couldn't have named all 4 of the horsemen. But I knew about death riding a pale horse (thanks in part to reading a certain Piers Anthony novel when I was growing up), and locked in death for my response because I figured he was the most famous of the equestrians at issue and thus likely to be the right one.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed May 01, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
soxfan99
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by soxfan99 »

squarekara wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 pm Any reason I should know some random Z-string politician from Iceland with no TOM whatsoever?
It's the custom in Iceland for females to take on their fathers' first name +"dottir" as their surname. That was the giveaway.
The bigger giveaway was "island nation" in Europe. Forgetting the name, the only options are Iceland, Cyprus, Malta and UK. Add that with the Nordic- sounding name, and you get Iceland. If they didn't give the island, I probably wouldn't have risk a guess.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

boring games in terms of clues 2 days in a row....was even shut out in the geography category...probably my strongest area, but when it is us geography specific, then i am struggs big time most of the time...and the final category...bible? come on....why must impose that stuff on the masses? though i did get it correct on a guess
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 am The airing out of Cleveland, MS showed a promo that included James saying, "Hey, Julia, I'm coming for you!"

James has her easily for money and is on the doorstep of going past her 20 wins. J! made sure I knew where things stood with the email sent out today. I'm glad I'm current on games as the subject header was: Will James Holzhauer beat Julia Collins’ 20-game record?

James needs to read some more kiddie animal books as the TS for one looking like an anteater is a staple. Arthur Chu would have known it. ;)

Ouch on Kate taking the opening skunk segment and only managing 4R. Her mom, Roz Jay: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=12260 also lost to a heavy hitter. Her picture is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=637&p=288173#p288173

James does not have the Archive memorized:

#6404, aired 2012-06-21 TV & MOVIE CARS $400: Bo & Luke Duke hot-rodded around Hazzard County in the souped-up Dodge Charger called this
#4990, aired 2006-04-28 1980s TV $600: We salute you if you know the Dukes of Hazzard raced about in a souped-up Dodge Charger called this
#3857, aired 2001-05-15 "GENERAL" ASSEMBLY $1000: It was the nickname of Bo & Luke's fast-moving 1969 Dodge Charger on "The Dukes of Hazzard"
#3509, aired 1999-12-02 CAR & DRIVER $200: On '80s TV: The General Lee, a souped-up Dodge Charger

We'll find out later how Lucario does it that clue.

The FJ! category was funny with "King James" currently on the throne. The clue was very welcome to get me off that schneid for this week.
i got it correct and know nothing about kiddie books..what is the connection?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

soxfan99 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:12 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 pm Any reason I should know some random Z-string politician from Iceland with no TOM whatsoever?
It's the custom in Iceland for females to take on their fathers' first name +"dottir" as their surname. That was the giveaway.
The bigger giveaway was "island nation" in Europe. Forgetting the name, the only options are Iceland, Cyprus, Malta and UK. Add that with the Nordic- sounding name, and you get Iceland. If they didn't give the island, I probably wouldn't have risk a guess.
what about ireland?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

StevenH wrote: I loved that there was a clue on Simple Minds! I enjoyed that category in general.
Seeing the Go-Go's come up made my day.
I've been binge watching Go-Go's concert clips on YouTube nearly every night for the last couple weeks. :D

I never would have got that (without the video) by simply doing the math back to 1981 though.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed May 01, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The drummer for Type O Negative had a side project called A Pale Horse Named Death.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 pm
StevenH wrote: I loved that there was a clue on Simple Minds! I enjoyed that category in general.
Seeing the Go-Go's come up made my day.
I've been binge watching Go-Go's concert clips on YouTube nearly every night for the last couple weeks. :D
weird thing...about 1 hour before i watched jeopardy i saw a tweet from belinda carlisle saying she was going to central asia...the go gos entering my mind 2 times in about an hr...weird
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:15 pm The drummer for Type O Negative had a side project called A Pale Horse Named Death.
loved type o negative...saw them at the milwaukee metal fest in 1995...fabulous show
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Not the toughest boards today. Ran BEFORE AND AFTER and BILLBOARD, not usually my best categories, though I did horribly on US Geography

DD 3/3 + FJ, though I panicked at the FJ category reveal. Someone please tell me what was the point of this Final? Name one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse? How should we know that Death is the only named rider in the King James version?

Pfizer on the board again with Lipitor AND Lyrica. Do they pay for these shout-outs?? I suppose I could start asking around at work, but I figure someone here might know ;)

What's so funny about bipolar disorder??

Imar looked strong out of the gate with 'libidinous', then goes up to the $200 box. In DJ, James pulls ahead on DD2, Imar gets control and goes back to EUROPEAN LEADERS with DD3 still in play. Bad strategy, my man.

Man, these challengers looked defeated when Alex said "This is exciting!"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This is permanently burned into my brain:

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I think I win for dumbest neg of the day. I said "aardwolf" instead of "aardvark".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 am ...

James needs to read some more kiddie animal books as the TS for one looking like an anteater is a staple. Arthur Chu would have known it. ;)
What I was thinking of is a picture book of animals from A to Z with an animal for each letter. Z of course is a Zebra and for A some books might have an aardvark. James has mentioned doing studying in the children's section of the library.

For the mention of Arthur Chu I was hinting toward Arthur the famous aardvark: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Read

On video clues I sometimes fail to take into account that studio conditions for seeing the monitor are not as favorable as home viewing may be for such clues.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:48 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 am ...

What I was thinking of is a picture book of animals from A to Z with an animal for each letter. Z of course is a Zebra and for A some books might have an aardvark. James has mentioned doing studying in the children's section of the library.

For the mention of Arthur Chu I was hinting toward Arthur the famous aardvark: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Read

On video clues I sometimes fail to take into account that studio conditions for seeing the monitor are not as favorable as home viewing may be for such clues.

makes sense
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 am James needs to read some more kiddie animal books as the TS for one looking like an anteater is a staple. Arthur Chu would have known it. ;)
I'm gonna hit the children's reading room at the NYPL and ask for books on LSD and bipolar disorder
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 am James needs to read some more kiddie animal books as the TS for one looking like an anteater is a staple. Arthur Chu would have known it. ;)
I'm gonna hit the children's reading room at the NYPL and ask for books on LSD and bipolar disorder
yeah that doesn't sound creepy
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Johnny Cash's song "The Man Comes Around" begins with a recitation from Revelation that ends with "and the name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him." I've listened to that album a few times and that sticks in your head.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:41 pm This is permanently burned into my brain:
Wonderama was one of my favorite shows growing up.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Nordic sounding" my ass. That name could be from anywhere.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:30 pm
"Nordic sounding" my ass. That name could be from anywhere.
It is 100% Nordic-sounding. You not knowing that is on you.