Wednesday, May 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph »

We've seen what, three bottom row DDs in the first round the last few games? If the producers wanted to cut back on James's winnings that is a good way to do it. Are they legally allowed to change the random placement of DDs as a reaction to a particular player?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
OK, I guess I'll be the first...only??

When I saw the FJ clue, My immediate thought was, Death...it can't be that easy, can it?? (I also thought it was so creepily on the nose, considering recent events...) Overlooking how many FJs have been easy lately, and not remembering the exact quote, I talked myself out of Death and into Famine...if I'd had a few more seconds I would have considered that F is sort of a child of D...Don't know why my first thought was not good enough!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

harrumph wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:48 am We've seen what, three bottom row DDs in the first round the last few games? If the producers wanted to cut back on James's winnings that is a good way to do it. Are they legally allowed to change the random placement of DDs as a reaction to a particular player?
I don’t think it’s ever been claimed or implied that they were random. It is interesting to think about not just the daily double placement but how the writing could be influenced by a long-term champion.

They aren’t usually writing for any specific player as they have no idea who the players will be but in the case of James and Ken, at some point in the run they obviously were writing new games and had to at least in the back of their minds be well aware that they’re probably writing for the current champion. I think it would absolutely be unethical and therefore I don’t think anyone in the writers room would ever say out loud “that category would be good/bad for Ken/James, let’s try to put in more/fewer of those” but it seems to me like a subconscious bias could come into play. Of course this is largely moot if Ken or James never actually shows a significant weakness and I think that’s pretty much where we are, unless we start getting a run of final Jeopardy clues about 1980s videotapes.

The daily double placement is a pretty interesting subject as well, as the bottom row 1st DD placement absolutely could be saving Sony significant amounts of money, Someone would have to run the data and see how common this was over an entire season and then see how common it is going forward to know if it’s a significant change or simply a fluke with the three days in a row.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

From the url https://laughingsquid.com/an-analysis-o ... 1-seasons/ :

FlowingData analyzed the placement of Daily Double clues in the popular game show Jeopardy! over the course of 31 seasons. The data used in the project comes from J! Archive, which is a fan-maintained database of Jeopardy! clues and players. Though it doesn’t include every single clue from every single episode–the earlier seasons are particularly spotty–it still represents a decent sample size.

According to this, 26% of DDs appear on the bottom row.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

davey wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 pm :oops: :oops: :oops:

When I saw the FJ clue, My immediate thought was, Death...it can't be that easy, can it?? (I also thought it was so creepily on the nose, considering recent events...) Overlooking how many FJs have been easy lately, and not remembering the exact quote, I talked myself out of Death and into Famine...if I'd had a few more seconds I would have considered that F is sort of a child of D...Don't know why my first thought was not good enough!
This was my process too, so you're not alone. Overthinkers unite!
davey

Post by davey »

squarekara wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks...I take consolation that James would have wiped the floor with me anyway...(Since they both got FJ, his opponents probably would have too!)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed Law $2000, Blade, $1200 and $1600 in "L" Drug and Port Charles.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Aardvark, Ratification, 1969 Dodge Charger, General Foods

Aardvark a stumper?!?! :shock:

Yeah, I've been on the Archive enough to remember 1969 Dodge Charger. Also recalled Matthew Ridgeway from the Archive.

I honestly would be shocked if anyone my age ran the "L" Drug category. Lipitor of course the only "L" drug I could think of beforehand.

Knew Iceland just from "Former flight attendant." :ugeek:
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I, on the other hand, went from "famine" to "pestilence."
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

econgator wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:36 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:30 pm
soxfan99 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:12 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:38 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 pm Any reason I should know some random Z-string politician from Iceland with no TOM whatsoever?
It's the custom in Iceland for females to take on their fathers' first name +"dottir" as their surname. That was the giveaway.
The bigger giveaway was "island nation" in Europe. Forgetting the name, the only options are Iceland, Cyprus, Malta and UK. Add that with the Nordic- sounding name, and you get Iceland. If they didn't give the island, I probably wouldn't have risk a guess.
"Nordic sounding" my ass. That name could be from anywhere.
It is 100% Nordic-sounding. You not knowing that is on you.
It's no excuse, but, to be fair, it didn't sound very Nordic the way Alex mangled it.
Last edited by gnash on Thu May 02, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Pestilence for me too.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 pm
harrumph wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:48 am We've seen what, three bottom row DDs in the first round the last few games? If the producers wanted to cut back on James's winnings that is a good way to do it. Are they legally allowed to change the random placement of DDs as a reaction to a particular player?
I don’t think it’s ever been claimed or implied that they were random.
Right. Not only that, but it was always clear that they are not random. Presumably, they select clues with higher-than-average TOM for DDs. Contestants are warned that, if a DD is mistakenly uncovered (e.g., due to Alex giving the wrong contestant control of the board, perhaps because a reversal is pending), the game will stop and the judges will select a different clue to be a DD. (This could lead to interesting situations if only 1st-row clues remain.)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

gnash wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:40 pm
Right. Not only that, but it was always clear that they are not random. Presumably, they select clues with higher-than-average TOM for DDs. Contestants are warned that, if a DD is mistakenly uncovered (e.g., due to Alex giving the wrong contestant control of the board, perhaps because a reversal is pending), the game will stop and the judges will select a different clue to be a DD. (This could lead to interesting situations if only 1st-row clues remain.)
I should have been more specific in my wording - certain kinds of clue categories are avoided in DD placement. But we don't see all that many in the bottom row, and now we've had three days in a row with them, which raises a question about it not being a coincidence.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

harrumph wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:49 pm
I should have been more specific in my wording - certain kinds of clue categories are avoided in DD placement. But we don't see all that many in the bottom row, and now we've had three days in a row with them, which raises a question about it not being a coincidence.
It does seem like a bit of a slippery slope if the show consciously placed DDs in the bottom row in order to affect James' game play strategy. Doesn't really seem like that would be copacetic with S&P.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:55 pm
harrumph wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:49 pm
It does seem like a bit of a slippery slope if the show consciously placed DDs in the bottom row in order to affect James' game play strategy. Doesn't really seem like that would be copacetic with S&P.
Early in James' run, I found it odd that there were 4 2nd-row DDs in one week, but more knowledgeable (or more data-savvy) people presented evidence that there had been as many as 7 2nd-row DDs in a single week. Bottom-row DDs are considerably more common that 2nd-row ones, so nothing could be concluded from a streak of a few of those.
davey

Post by davey »

harrumph wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 pm

Pestilence for me too.
Pestilence has a certain Biblical grandeur. (Disease is so much more ordinary...) I considered it too. It's used 48 times in the KJV, but not, alas, in Revelation.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/se ... bsec=&qte=
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

Ditto. Pestilence here too.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Kindof late posting for yesterday's game, but adding another member to the 10% failure club. I actually was stymied completely, only remembering 3 of the 4 after the game (death, pestilence, and famine). I did know they all had names, and assumed they were assigned by an author after the Bible. I Wagged "armageddon" for lack of a real guess.

The aardvark picture was way too cute but I guess I've never really seen a photo of one. Looks way more like Alf the Alien than I would have realized.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.