Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by zakharov »

I just got a DC invite for June 17th! Yay!

Bad news is that I'm out of the country until the 19th...hopefully they have another day open. Boo!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

zakharov wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:20 pm I just got a DC invite for June 17th! Yay!

Bad news is that I'm out of the country until the 19th...hopefully they have another day open. Boo!
Cool, hope it works out for you! Keep us posted.

Nothing in my inbox (sits in dark, stares at wall, turns lamp on and off)
DisneyFor2000Alex
Contributor

Post by DisneyFor2000Alex »

I got the email for an audition in DC on June 17! YAY!
My score was 39.
Hope to see some of you there!
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

zakharov wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:20 pm I just got a DC invite for June 17th! Yay!

...or it could be good news for the rest of us looking to get a DC audition.

Seriously though, I hope they are willing to work with you given the relative difficulty of getting an audition.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

zakharov

Post by zakharov »

They were able to reschedule me for the 13th. Yay!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

zakharov wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:57 pm They were able to reschedule me for the 13th. Yay!
congrats!!
don't forget to update your sig! hope fourth time is the charm!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

been having a little trouble with my internet...if I missed your score/audition from the first post, let me know.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

Anyone for the Denver audition receive actual info regarding the location? I confirmed to the original email but have not heard anything back and haven’t gotten a reply to my other email I sent :shock:
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

britt408 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:26 pm Anyone for the Denver audition receive actual info regarding the location? I confirmed to the original email but have not heard anything back and haven’t gotten a reply to my other email I sent :shock:
While I don't have specific experience with a Jeopardy audition, in my experience, you would receive information about two weeks prior, so hang in there, check your spam box regularly, and it should come soon.

Hopefully someone with some Jeopardy audition experience will remember the timing of the information email and reply.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

If you've been to an audition so far, let us know how many people were in your session and if you can estimate the male:female ratio, post up.

Also, I know there's been radio silence from Jeopardy regarding upcoming auditions, but with the schedule we know so far, I would expect more cities to start receiving invites in the next week.

Good luck to all!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

triviawayne wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:23 am If you've been to an audition so far, let us know how many people were in your session and if you can estimate the male:female ratio, post up.

Also, I know there's been radio silence from Jeopardy regarding upcoming auditions, but with the schedule we know so far, I would expect more cities to start receiving invites in the next week.

Good luck to all!
I went to my auddition yesterday and had a terrific time. They actually ran two concurrent auditions (different rooms) which is new in my experience. In my room, I would guess there were about 30 people, and I noticed that virtually every trio called up to the mock game had 2 men and 1 woman.
Glenn also mentioned that of the approximately 8000 people who took the online test (I am assuming he meant *passed* the online test) between 2000 and 3000 would get in-person auditions and be thrown in the pool. About 400 make it onto the show each year. In the past, I had heard about 2500 in-person auditions, so that agrees.
Teems with quiet fun.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:23 am If you've been to an audition so far, let us know how many people were in your session and if you can estimate the male:female ratio, post up.

Good luck to all!
Radio silence indeed. At this point, I'm hoping for The Call again (unlikely) or a surprise audition invite for NYC (TPTB suggested they might stop here)

Otherwise I can expect my number to come up again in 2027

And yes - good luck to everyone!
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

Video of one of the West Palm Beach auditions.

Looks like about 50-50 men vs women.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

tagNV wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:49 pm Video of one of the West Palm Beach auditions.

Looks like about 50-50 men vs women.
I was able to count 21 people, 10 female, 11 male.

21 per session jives with the number per session we've heard in the past. 30 was reported in a Boston session, either way, they seem to take multiples of three so they can have the "proper" number of players for the mock games.

For anyone who has been to auditions--in the video, we saw questions on the screen for the group to answer--were those questions directly from the in-person test you took, and they are going through the answers while they are scoring the tests?

I still don't understand why they take the time to score the tests right there, everyone plays the mock game anyway, scores can be matched up later and their auditions would go faster.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I have seen them send people home after the paper test + before the mock games. Mind you, this was many, many years ago.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

mahatma wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 am I have seen them send people home after the paper test + before the mock games. Mind you, this was many, many years ago.
"many years ago" = "before the age of the online test".
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 am
mahatma wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 am I have seen them send people home after the paper test + before the mock games. Mind you, this was many, many years ago.
Yes, that's right. It was a Brain Bus event, and I think they started with a short (5-question?) test, then put people in a room for the full written test, then cut down and did interviews/mock games.

With the online test, I guess it's quite rare for someone to do poorly on the in-person test. There has to be a small number of cheaters every year, though, doesn't there?
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

30 was reported in a Boston session
That 30 was a guess on my part. I didn't actually count. I think there was a no-show, and we ended up with a final group of only 2. (They pulled a random person up to repeat the buzzing in portion of the mock game.)
Teems with quiet fun.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

mahatma wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 am
Yes, that's right. It was a Brain Bus event, and I think they started with a short (5-question?) test, then put people in a room for the full written test, then cut down and did interviews/mock games.

With the online test, I guess it's quite rare for someone to do poorly on the in-person test. There has to be a small number of cheaters every year, though, doesn't there?

Brain Bus events had a ten-question test, you needed 7/10 to get an in-person audition at a (usually) later date.

Prior to online tests, testing was only done at in-person auditions. It was still a 50 question test. Anyone who didn't pass was sent home, and the rest stayed and played the mock game and did (probably and almost) everything that is still done during in-person auditions today.

Regarding cheaters, yeah, there's probably a few, although I think it would be very difficult to cheat when you only have a 15 second timer going. This is why they give everyone another test at the audition. If you score 45 online, but only 20 in person...yeah, they'll figure it out. I also want to believe that at the in-person testing, if someone "only" scored a 30, they might just figure it was a hard test for that person.