Friday, May 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7985, 2019-05-03

James Holzhauer game 22.

CONTESTANTS
Carol Hansen, a retired database administrator from San Francisco, California
Pete Vanderhyden, an airline pilot from Murrieta, California
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 21-day cash winnings total $1,608,627)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. This is a big game for us because whoever wins today gets to relax for the next two weeks as Jeopardy pays tribute in our annual Teachers Tournament. Those people who are so very important to our children and our families. Pete and Carol, welcome aboard today. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TV SHOWS BY COUPLE (5/5)
BEGINS & ENDS WITH "W" (5/5)
CLASSIC LITERATURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SCI-FI STUFF (5/5) (Alex: And then in honor of tomorrow's date, "May the 4th be with you"...)
NOBODY EXPECTS (5/5)
THE SPINACH ACQUISITION (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 23 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Pete: 4 R, 1 W
Carol: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 1st clue. James had no money, Pete was scoreless, and Carol had nothing in the bank. James wagered $1,000.

CLASSIC LITERATURE $1000: Part one of "Les Miserables" is "Fantine"; part two is named for this daughter of hers

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $8,200
Carol: $1,800
Pete: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Carol Hansen is from San Francisco, California. Carol, you can make yourself happy in a number of ways. But sometimes, making yourself happy can make a lot of other people unhappy. You got married on the Golden Gate Bridge. Did you have to stop traffic?

Carol: That's right. Paul and I got married--I think it's legal. We just did it. My sister was the officiant, and if it's not legal, don't tell anyone.

[Laughter]

Alex: But didn't you manage to tick off a lot of drivers who wanted to--

Carol: No, you just walk on.

Alex: Oh, walking.

Carol: Yes.

Alex: You didn't park your car.

Carol: Oh, no, no, no.

Alex: All right, good. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Alex: Pete Vanderhyden from Murrieta, California. Pilot who once had lunch with me. I cannot recall.

Pete: Yes, sir.

Alex: What were the circumstances?

Pete: Well, it was a long time ago. It was probably '86, '87. You were a guest at the Air Force Academy. I don't know if you remember that. It was a little while ago.

Alex: But I was only 10.

[Laughter]

Pete: Yeah, anyway, I said hello from below, and you kinda gave me a dirty look or something.

Alex: No, I wouldn't--I wouldn't do that, because I'm very fond of the Air Force. As you discovered that day, I'm sure.

Pete: Yes, and thanks for coming.

Alex: That was a good visit.

Alex: James Holzhauer is our champion. Takes classes at a ninja gym.

James: That's right. So you've seen the show American Ninja Warrior. They've inspired a line of these gyms now, where you get to run around on a--basically, an adult playground. They call it an obstacle course, but it's an adult playground. And uh, yeah.

Alex: What prompted you to get involved in this kind of activity?

James: People just looked like they were having fun on the television. I said, "That's for me."

Alex: That's a great way to look at it.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE SPINACH ACQUISITION $800: Each day Berghoff's restaurant in Chicago makes a giant cauldron of delicious spinach in this form
(Pete: What is...yeah, sorry.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $13,200
Carol: $1,800
Pete: $1,400
Last edited by Archivists on Sat May 04, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLASSICAL DANCE MIX (5/5)
GOVERNMENT & POLITICS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD CITIES (4/5)
A BUNCH OF HOOEY! (4/5)
THINGS THAT HAPPENED (4/5)
GETTING ALL SCIENCE "E" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 20 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Pete: 3 R, 1 W
Carol: 4 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. James had $24,400, Pete had $1,400, and Carol was at $1,400. James wagered $11,381.

GETTING ALL SCIENCE "E" $1200: Proprioception is a synonym for this sense of balance

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Carol who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. James had $42,181, Pete had $1,400, and Carol was at $4,200. Carol wagered $2,000.

GOVERNMENT & POLITICS $1200: He became U.S. Attorney General in 2019, 27 years after taking the job for the first time

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD CITIES $1600: If you're gonna lie in the heart of something, make it the gold field of the Witwatersrand, like this huge South African city

A BUNCH OF HOOEY! $1600: "Stuff and" this is an idiom to be interjected when you hear something untrue

THINGS THAT HAPPENED $400: In the mid-19th century, the U.S. Army imported these creatures from Africa as pack animals--it didn't
(Pete: What are elephants?)
(Carol: What are zebras?)
(Alex: They brought in a lot of [*] to work in the American Southwest.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $47,381 (lock game)
Carol: $5,800
Pete: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDS OF THE 2000s

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $35,780 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Carol: Wager $3,401 to cover Pete.
Pete: Risk between $1,201 and $2,200, covering Carol's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2008 Time Magazine described this new practice as "one part social networking and one part capital accumulation"

FINAL SCORES
Pete: $4,600 - $4,600 = $0 (What online banking) (3rd place: $1,000)
Carol: $5,800 - $3,401 = $2,399 (What is cyber) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $47,381 + $35,000 = $82,381 (What is Crowdfunding?) (22-day champion: $1,691,008)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $37,200, 43 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Carol: $5,000, 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Pete: $4,600, 7 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $46,800

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 44/60 = .733
Pete: 7/58 = .121
Carol: 6/59 = .102
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SCI-FI STUFF $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Profiles in History in Calabasas, California.) Repurposed black, padded hockey gloves were part of a Cylon from this '70s sci-fi show, but balancing out the cool factor, the helmet is outfitted with the awesome red Cyclops eye

SCI-FI STUFF $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Profiles in History in Calabasas, California.) This maquette was a model for the alien queen who in a classic movie moment faces off against this character, played so powerfully by Sigourney Weaver

NOBODY EXPECTS $600: David Niven & the audience were taken unawares when one of these rushed the Oscars stage in 1974
(James: What is [*]?)
(Alex: [*], yes.)
[James runs out from behind his lectern, then returns.]
(Alex: Oh, don't go out of our shot, because we have to take a break right now. We want you to be there when we come back.)

SCI-FI STUFF $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Profiles in History in Calabasas, California.) Seen in Dr. Zaius' private chambers, the Lawgiver statue from this 1968 film looks to be stone, but is actually made of cast & carved rigid polyfoam

SCI-FI STUFF $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from Profiles in History in Calabasas, California.) The piece here is really green cast resin in crystal form, but in "Superman III", it was called this, & appeared onscreen with Christopher Reeve

CLASSIC LITERATURE $200: "The horror! The horror!" are Mr. Kurtz' dying words in this novella
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCI-FI STUFF $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Profiles in History in Calabasas, California.) The latex prosthetic ears worn by this "Star Trek" actor in the late '60s even have some residual makeup left on them
(James: [Giving the Vulcan salute] Who is [*]?)

THINGS THAT HAPPENED $1200: A Russian team showed up too late to the 1908 Olympics because they were still using this calendar
(Carol: What's Gregorian?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Cosette
creamed spinach
equilibrium
(William) Barr
Johannesburg
stuff and nonsense
camels
crowdfunding
Battlestar Galactica
(Ellen) Ripley
a streaker
Planet of the Apes
kryptonite
Heart of Darkness
Leonard Nimoy
the Julian
Last edited by Archivists on Sat May 04, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDS OF THE 2000s

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2008, TIME Magazine described this new practice as “one part social networking and one part capital accumulation”

James Holzhauer: 47381+35000=82381 (22x = $1,691,008)
Pete Vanderhyden: 4600-4600=0
Carol Hansen: 5800-3401=2399

Correct response:
Spoiler
crowdfunding (Pete – onlinebanking) (Carol – cyber)

Daily Doubles
James: 0+1000
James: 24400+11381
Carol: 4200+2000

Coryats
James: 37,200
Pete: 4600
Carol: 5000

Combined: 46,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 13200
Pete: 1400
Carol: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Is James getting orders to have fun like Arthur Chu was given? It was very difficult for Arthur to lighten up. James went for an unexpected jog on the David Niven clue and it was a hilarious coincidence as the same thing happened on Millionaire today. (photo in spoiler to cut down on size of the post)
Spoiler
James had another coninkydink moment when Alex called on him for the author of The Bostonians.

A good game for me with 47R and 37,000 Coryat. What do the writers do? WORDS OF THE 2000s for the FJ! category. Yuck. I ended up with a blank page as the closest I was getting was “gig economy” and did not bother to write it. Exactly the kind of the clue that is trouble for me more often than not.

James will return on May 20 after the Teachers Tournament with $76,864 as his average winning total. He would have been justified going all-in at DD2 with his opponents both at 1400 at the time. Eh, what's another $13,000 at this point?
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

If my mental arithmetic is correct (I'm too lazy to track down a calculator), if James wins his next game with at least $80,000, he'll bring his average over the previous record of $77,000. --Bob
Last edited by Bob78164 on Fri May 03, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

In yesterday's game thread I wrote the following:
How many times during his run have we been in a position to say something similar to the following: barely more than 3 weeks ago, the score he racked up today would have set an all-time record. But because it happened today, it's only the 10th-highest 1-day score of all time.
The same exact statement applies to today's game!

Mistakenly viewed by some as winning because of risky DD wagers, James is simply dominating his opponents in all phases of the game. A Coryat today of $37,200, which I understand is the 5th highest of all time (at least according to what I read on reddit); 21 of 22 on FJ's, including 16 in a row - that's how he can gain "only" $12,381 on DD's and still win by a margin of nearly $80,000. After 22 games, he's $829,692 behind Ken's 74-game winnings total. At the rate he's going, that milestone could be reached in 10 games or even less, and if you want to be conservative and allow for a low payday or 2 due to missed FJ's, he should still do it in fewer than 3 full weeks of games. Assuming, of course, that he keeps winning and an opponent in the near future after the Teachers Tournament doesn't accomplish what Adam Levin almost did.

Today's FJ ruined my chance for a perfect week. I knew conceptually what they were going for, and I've come across the word "crowdfunding" multiple times, but there was no way I was going to pull it. The best I could come up with in the 30 seconds was "kickstarting."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mgiusto
Contributor

Post by mgiusto »

I think when James finally loses I will have the same jaw-drop reaction I had when I saw Mike Tyson on the canvas on all fours looking for his mouthpiece during the Buster Douglas fight.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Should have gotten it, but didn't. Had nothing at all.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Couple, Spinach Acquisition, Classic Literature, and Nobody Expects, but ran the W category.

Didn't do much better in DJ!, where I think I got maybe 3 or 4 right. I found this board extremely difficult overall. Lots of NHOIs or clues that just didn't click for me somehow.

No guess on FJ! Even when James's answer was revealed, it just didn't seem to jive with the clue for me at all. I had no idea what to even put down.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This board was awful for me.

Was there anything in the category or clue for suicide squeeze that would render sacrifice, sacrifice bunt, or sacrifice fly as unacceptable answers? I know that the hints in the clue pointed most strongly to suicide squeeze but I don't recall if there was anything that tied it down definitively.

The clues on camels and Johannesburg seemed to be lacking in useful hints. It was not surprising to see those both be TS.

I knew exactly what FJ wanted but the word wouldn't get past the tip of my tongue. I had crowd but couldn't finish it with anything other than source.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

StevenH wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:03 pm This board was awful for me.

Was there anything in the category or clue for suicide squeeze that would render sacrifice, sacrifice bunt, or sacrifice fly as unacceptable answers? I know that the hints in the clue pointed most strongly to suicide squeeze but I don't recall if there was anything that tied it down definitively.

The clues on camels and Johannesburg seemed to be lacking in useful hints. It was not surprising to see those both be TS.

I knew exactly what FJ wanted but the word wouldn't get past the tip of my tongue. I had crowd but couldn't finish it with anything other than source.
2 of the few clues i got correct
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

StevenH wrote: Was there anything in the category or clue for suicide squeeze that would render sacrifice, sacrifice bunt, or sacrifice fly as unacceptable answers? I know that the hints in the clue pointed most strongly to suicide squeeze but I don't recall if there was anything that tied it down definitively.
The clue included something about going from 3rd base to home (scoring a run), where as plain sacrifice (bunt or fly) could be used to merely move a runner from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd.
Last edited by Category 13 on Fri May 03, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

why is trebek selective when it comes to pronouncing words correctly and doing accents....he didn't do it for witwatersand....he pronounced it like an english speaking north american....the w should have had a v sound
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

first time during holzhauer's run that i was actually rooting against the challengers....felt no empathy toward them...beat down city was enjoyed by me for the first time during this streak
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

StevenH wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:03 pm This board was awful for me.

definitely couldn't have been that since the clue had to do with things that are unexpected...sacrifice flies aren't unexpected at all as they are common to try and score a runner from third...well maybe not as common these days as in the past as i do believe the numbers are down, but still not unexpected
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:03 pm The best I could come up with in the 30 seconds was "kickstarting."
Same for me in FJ. :x
OK, James neutralized the DD by picking it first, & was still running away with it at the end of SJ.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I originally said "kickstarting", but I knew that had just celebrated its 10th anniversary, which was a year later than the clue. It took me a bit, but I got the right answer with about 10 seconds left. I think I could have written it down in that time.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:42 pm definitely couldn't have been that since the clue had to do with things that are unexpected...sacrifice flies aren't unexpected at all as they are common to try and score a runner from third...well maybe not as common these days as in the past as i do believe the numbers are down, but still not unexpected
Unless there are quotes in the category name, the response is usually only required to fit the clue.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:33 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:42 pm definitely couldn't have been that since the clue had to do with things that are unexpected...sacrifice flies aren't unexpected at all as they are common to try and score a runner from third...well maybe not as common these days as in the past as i do believe the numbers are down, but still not unexpected
Unless there are quotes in the category name, the response is usually only required to fit the clue.
I don't have the exact wording, but the clue implied that the action is done with an element of surprise. That is an important factor in a suicide squeeze, not so much with a sacrifice fly. It's possible they would have taken sacrifice fly but I don't think it works, even though it was my first instinct as well.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was a hard set of boards IMHO, and James blew it up anyway. Kudos to Mark B for his good hair day of 47 right. The daughter's name in the second chapter of Les Mis? Say what? The lame named conqueror? And then nailing a well crafted FJ clue to extend his streak :o

I got derailed trying to come up with those sites that charge for fake followers, or maybe the few cents you can get for giving good reviews. I did know about the camels in the southwest. Brave guesses of elephants and zebras. The latter of which I now pronounce as zeb-ras instead of zee-bras because of a Tarzan movie recently.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.