Friday, May 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, May 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 pm
econgator wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:33 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:42 pm definitely couldn't have been that since the clue had to do with things that are unexpected...sacrifice flies aren't unexpected at all as they are common to try and score a runner from third...well maybe not as common these days as in the past as i do believe the numbers are down, but still not unexpected
Unless there are quotes in the category name, the response is usually only required to fit the clue.
I don't have the exact wording, but the clue implied that the action is done with an element of surprise. That is an important factor in a suicide squeeze, not so much with a sacrifice fly. It's possible they would have taken sacrifice fly but I don't think it works, even though it was my first instinct as well.
Surprise is in the clue (as is 'deadly name'). So I suspect they probably would have taken sacrifice bunt, but not sac fly (those are definitely not surprising).
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:01 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 pm
econgator wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:33 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:42 pm definitely couldn't have been that since the clue had to do with things that are unexpected...sacrifice flies aren't unexpected at all as they are common to try and score a runner from third...well maybe not as common these days as in the past as i do believe the numbers are down, but still not unexpected
Unless there are quotes in the category name, the response is usually only required to fit the clue.
I don't have the exact wording, but the clue implied that the action is done with an element of surprise. That is an important factor in a suicide squeeze, not so much with a sacrifice fly. It's possible they would have taken sacrifice fly but I don't think it works, even though it was my first instinct as well.
Surprise is in the clue (as is 'deadly name'). So I suspect they probably would have taken sacrifice bunt, but not sac fly (those are definitely not surprising).
Sacrifice bunt does not necessarily score a run. It really shouldn't be accepted, it could be prompted as a suicide squeeze is a specific type of sacrifice bunt.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:09 pm Sacrifice bunt does not necessarily score a run. It really shouldn't be accepted, it could be prompted as a suicide squeeze is a specific type of sacrifice bunt.
I looked at the clue again and it states that the aim is "to score a runner from third", not that there is already one there, so I agree with you.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

econgator wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:06 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:09 pm Sacrifice bunt does not necessarily score a run. It really shouldn't be accepted, it could be prompted as a suicide squeeze is a specific type of sacrifice bunt.
I looked at the clue again and it states that the aim is "to score a runner from third", not that there is already one there, so I agree with you.
At first I thought the clue wanted "stealing home".
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

DBear wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:52 pm OK, James neutralized the DD by picking it first, & was still running away with it at the end of SJ.
If I'm remembering correctly, he's picked the J-round Daily Double first in three of the last five or six episodes. Hasn't hurt him.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Could the archive make note of James' FJ streak milestones like they have for Ken once? "James gets his tenth/twentieth/thirtieth consecutive correct Final Jeopardy! response."
yclept

Post by yclept »

Category 13 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:39 pm
StevenH wrote: Was there anything in the category or clue for suicide squeeze that would render sacrifice, sacrifice bunt, or sacrifice fly as unacceptable answers? I know that the hints in the clue pointed most strongly to suicide squeeze but I don't recall if there was anything that tied it down definitively.
The clue included something about going from 3rd base to home (scoring a run), where as plain sacrifice (bunt or fly) could be used to merely move a runner from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd.
Not to get too technical, but a sacrifice fly is only credited when a runner scores on the play. You get charged with an official AB and no sacrifice fly if you only move the runner from first to second or second to third.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

yclept wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:14 am
StevenH wrote: Was there anything in the category or clue for suicide squeeze that would render sacrifice, sacrifice bunt, or sacrifice fly as unacceptable answers? I know that the hints in the clue pointed most strongly to suicide squeeze but I don't recall if there was anything that tied it down definitively.
The clue included something about going from 3rd base to home (scoring a run), where as plain sacrifice (bunt or fly) could be used to merely move a runner from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd.
Not to get too technical, but a sacrifice fly is only credited when a runner scores on the play. You get charged with an official AB and no sacrifice fly if you only move the runner from first to second or second to third.
that is something i never understood...if you bunt and move the dude over successfully you are credited with a sacrifice...but on a fly and it accomplishes the same thing you aren't credited with a sacrifice and it counts as an 0fer in the ab column
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

Ran the TV Shows by Couple category.

Lach Trash: Johannesburg

I could only come up with vlogging.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

I thought of social media influencing which seemed like it was newer than 2008 but all I could come up with.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:45 am
yclept wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:14 am
that is something i never understood...if you bunt and move the dude over successfully you are credited with a sacrifice...but on a fly and it accomplishes the same thing you aren't credited with a sacrifice and it counts as an 0fer in the ab column
1) Few people can reliably hit the ball deep enough in the air. 2) If there is a runner on 3rd, then it is assumed that you were hitting it into the outfield for the purpose of getting the runner home. On any other base, you don't get the benefit of the doubt. More likely is that you simply didn't hit the ball hard enough or in the right spot. Bunts have much more precision and their purpose is obvious.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Started trying to figure how to phrase GoFundMe as a practice, made a jump to crowdsourcing with about 15 seconds to go and then another jump to crowdfunding close to time expiring. At the podium it probably would have been a near miss as I would've crossed out and rewrote the whole word instead of just the "sourcing" part. I'll have to take a neg on it.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

By the time he's done James could wind up with the top forty individual game winnings.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I'd love to see a ToC style tournament comprised only of James, Ken, and Brad.

And by that I mean clone each of them four times and pit them against eachother in five Quarterfinals, like usual. Could you imagine a James vs James vs James game? My money would be on James in that one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I said "crowdsourcing." Pretty sure that wouldn't have cut it.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:38 pm I said "crowdsourcing." Pretty sure that wouldn't have cut it.
Not specific enough. Plus, the clue was pinned to the Time article.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
davey

Post by davey »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:37 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:03 pm This board was awful for me.

Was there anything in the category or clue for suicide squeeze that would render sacrifice, sacrifice bunt, or sacrifice fly as unacceptable answers? I know that the hints in the clue pointed most strongly to suicide squeeze but I don't recall if there was anything that tied it down definitively.

The clues on camels and Johannesburg seemed to be lacking in useful hints. It was not surprising to see those both be TS.

I knew exactly what FJ wanted but the word wouldn't get past the tip of my tongue. I had crowd but couldn't finish it with anything other than source.
2 of the few clues i got correct
It was not the first disappointment in the game, but a major one when James passed on the South Africa clue and neither of his opponents, already down by $12,000, could hazard a guess...
Clues like that one helped me to keep up with James in this game but it was all for naught in the end, since the best I could come up with for FJ was e-commerce...and that took me 35 seconds!... :roll:
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

Did anyone else hear a note of annoyance in Alex's voice when James interrupted him as he was saying, "That begins and ends with W"?

I can't believe that I'm actually looking forward to the Teachers Tournament - an unnecessary tournament restricted to members of an occupation that is already well represented in the contestant pool. (I'm also not a fan of the Teen or College Tournaments, but then again, I'm not the target audience for those.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:29 pm Should have gotten it, but didn't. Had nothing at all.
Same here. I'm not completely sure I've ever heard of the term before, but suspect I have but it just never registered and stuck.

Unlike James, who seems to have heard of everything and managed to make it stick, available for split-second retrieval at times such as this.

I'm looking forward to a 2-week break so we can watch some normal mortals (teachers) play the game.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Creamed, Johannesburg, Nonsense, Camels

James running off the lectern after the streaker response was hysterical. :lol:

Seriously, no one was brave enough to have a crack at Johannesburg? Cape Town isn't too big. Camels was also a surprising stumper.
Douglas Squasoni