Monday, May 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7986, 2019-05-06

2019 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 1. Category names in the Jeopardy! Round are read by Amazon Alexa.

CONTESTANTS
Julia Rosinski Bailey, a 10th grade chemistry teacher from Austin, Texas
Joe Rengstorf, a middle school special education teacher from Poulsbo, Washington
Mariah Minges Klusman, a 12th grade English language arts teacher from Wyncote, Pennsylvania

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you very much for that warm welcome. And Johnny, I hope you will not take this as a negative, but for the very first time in 35 years of hosting this program, I finally get to work with my own Vanna.

[Laughter as Alex gestures toward the Amazon Alexa]

Alex: And she has such a lovely name--Alexa.

[Laughter]

Alex: Our current champion, ladies and gentlemen, James Holzhauer, has the two weeks off. He'll be back with us in two weeks' time. But for now, for Julia, Joe, and Mariah, class is in session. Good luck. Let's go to work. Alexa, ask Jeopardy! what today's categories are, please.

Alexa: The categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PARENTHETICAL SONGS (4/5)
OCCUPATIONS (5/5)
GEOGRAPHY (4/5)
INITIALLY YOURS (4/5)
CLASSIC NOVELS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CLICHES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joe: 15 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Mariah: 6 R, 2 W
Julia: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joe found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Mariah had no money, Joe had $1,200, and Julia was at $1,400. Joe made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

CLASSIC NOVELS $800: This Tolstoy title lady has a young son named Sergei

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joe: $4,200
Julia: $2,000
Mariah: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Julia Rosinski Bailey is from Austin, Texas. A 10th grade chemistry teacher who annually lets her students set her on fire. What's all that about?

Julia: I do. I bubble some methane through a secret solution. I don't want them to try it at home, so I don't tell them what it is. But it fills up the bubbles. Methane is flammable. So then I hold the bubbles. I give them a stick. They light it up, and I--

[Julia indicates an explosion with her hands.]

Alex: Oh, all right.

Alex: Joe Rengstorf from Poulsbo, Washington. You're a special ed teacher now here in America. But you taught in Thailand. I wanna hear about that.

Joe: I did. I taught English. I was in a classroom--about 50 kids. Fifth--fourth, fifth and sixth graders. It was my first teaching job. It let me know that teaching was for me.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Mariah Minges Klusman is from Wyncote, Pennsylvania. Twelfth grade English language arts teacher who likes to start her classes off with a just-for-fun kind of activity. Give me an example.

Mariah: That's true. I've done some things like a Yuletide festival at the holidays when we were studying Shakespeare, and taught everybody to bring a mug and shout, "Wassail!"

Alex: Oh, hello. Party time in your class.

Mariah: Party time.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GEOGRAPHY $1000: Within a former province of South Africa, you'll find the name of this river on its southern edge
(Mariah: What is the Zambezi?)
(Alex: What is [*]? Think of Transvaal.)

INITIALLY YOURS $400: In 1879 he founded his first 5-cent stores in Utica, New York & Lancaster, Penn.; the price ceiling was later raised to a dime
(Julia: Who is Woolsworth?)

CLICHES $800: A paper entitling the bearer to food, or a source of financial support, as in "That rich wife is his ____ ____"

PARENTHETICAL SONGS $400: Rihanna:
"(In The World)"
(Julia: What is "Girls"?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joe: $9,800
Mariah: $2,400
Julia: $1,400
Last edited by Archivists on Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IOWA IN ENTERTAINMENT (3/5)
THE PLANETS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ARCHAEOLOGY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BALLOONS (3/5)
THOSE WHO IGNORE HISTORY (4/5)
DOOMED TO REPEAT "IT" (5/5) (Alex: The letters "I-T" will come up twice in a correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joe: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 5 W
Julia: 9 R (including 3 rebounds), 4 W
Mariah: 2 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joe snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Mariah had $1,600, Joe had $10,600, and Julia was at $600. Joe wagered $3,000.

THE PLANETS $1600: Some have more than 60, but these 2 planets have no known moons

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joe who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Mariah had $1,600, Joe had $14,800, and Julia was at $2,600. Joe wagered $5,200.

ARCHAEOLOGY $1200: In 2018 it was announced that the world's oldest intact shipwreck was found off the coast of Bulgaria, at the bottom of this sea

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE PLANETS $800: It was the first planet discovered in modern times; William Herschel thought it was a comet when he first saw it
(Joe: What is Venus?)
(Julia: What is Pluto?)
(Mariah: What is Neptune?)

ARCHAEOLOGY $1600: Before massive digging began, Sir Arthur Evans bought the site of this Minoan city on the island of Crete
(Joe: Uh, what is... Minos?)

ARCHAEOLOGY $2000: The body of this 2,000-year-old man was discovered in a bog in Denmark in 1950

BALLOONS $1600: An L.A. government agency says mylar helium balloons that fly free cause around 200 of these in the city every year
(Julia: What are car accidents?)

THOSE WHO IGNORE HISTORY $1600: WWI leaders didn't learn from the terrible effect of these weapons, like the Maxim, in the 1904-1905 Russo-Japanese War
(Mariah: What are chemical weapons?)

IOWA IN ENTERTAINMENT $800: This brotherly duo of "Bye Bye Love" fame got their start singing on Iowa radio stations

IOWA IN ENTERTAINMENT $1200: Iowa native Fred Grandy played Gopher on this TV show for 9 years & later was a U.S. rep from the state
(Julia: What is M*A*S*H?)

BALLOONS $2000: In 1783 these brothers sent a sheep, a duck & a rooster aloft in a hot-air balloon over Versailles

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joe: $16,000
Julia: $10,200
Mariah: $2,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Joe: Wager $4,401 to cover Julia, but no more than $11,199 so as not to fall behind Mariah's doubled score.
Julia: You have the hope of surpassing Joe if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,801 to force Joe to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $5,399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Mariah.
Mariah: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A poem by him includes, "It was grassy and wanted wear;/
though...the passing there/
had worn them really about the same"

FINAL SCORES
Mariah: $2,400 + $2,395 = $4,795 (Who is Robert Frost) (3rd place)
Julia: $10,200 + $5,000 = $15,200 (Who is Frost?) (2nd place)
Joe: $16,000 + $4,401 = $20,401 (Who is Robert Frost?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: There is another, more famous line from this well-known poem, of course. We didn't wanna give you that one 'cause that would've made it too easy.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $10,200, 14 R, 6 W
Joe: $10,200, 26 R (including 3 DDs), 5 W
Mariah: $2,400, 8 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $22,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Joe: 27/61 = .443
Julia: 15/58 = .259
Mariah: 9/58 = .155
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GEOGRAPHY $400: Lahore, this countr's second-largest city, is the capital of the Punjab province
(Mariah: What is India?)

OCCUPATIONS $800: U.S. News included this mapmaking occupation one of its 25 Best Jobs of 2019, anticipating a rise in demand
[ERRATUM: A word such as "as" is missing between "occupation" and "one" in the clue.]

INITIALLY YOURS $600: We're sure this author, noted for a 1951 classic, would not have liked to have his picture seen by millions of people

THE PLANETS $1200: Recently, the Hubble Space Telescope captured this phenomenon around the north pole of Jupiter

DOOMED TO REPEAT "IT" $1600: Restaurants like Da Nico & Il Cortile line Mulberry Street in this section of Manhattan
(Joe: Oh. What is the theater district?)

DOOMED TO REPEAT "IT" $2000: Dissociative identity disorder is more colloquially known as this psychological condition
(Joe: What is multiple personality?)
[Applause for Julia running the category.]

BALLOONS $400: The U.S. Balloon Corps was established during this war & observed enemy movements in support of the Army of the Potomac
(Julia: What's the American Revolution?)
(Mariah: What is the War of 1812?)
(Alex: Army of the Potomac.)

THOSE WHO IGNORE HISTORY $2000: In World War I Italy attacked this northeast neighbor in 12--yes, 12--battles of the Isonzo River & got whupped repeatedly
(Joe: What is Italy?)
(Alex: No.)
(Joe: Sorry. What is [*]?)
(Alex: Joe, you can't have two shots at it.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Anna Karenina
the Vaal
F.W. Woolworth
his meal ticket
"Only Girl"
Mercury and Venus
the Black Sea
Uranus
Knossos
the Tollund Man
power outages
machine guns
the Everly Brothers
The Love Boat
the Montgolfier brothers
Robert Frost
Pakistan
a cartographer
J.D. Salinger
aurora borealis
Little Italy
split personality
the Civil War
Austria
Last edited by Archivists on Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POETS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A poem by him includes, “It was grassy and wanted wear; / Though…the passing there / Had worn them really about the same”

Mariah Minges Klusman: 2400+2395=4795
Joe Rengstorf: 16000+4401=20401 (Semi-Finalist)
Julia Rosinski Bailey: 10200+5000=15200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Robert Frost

Daily Doubles
Joe: 1200+1200
Joe: 10600+3000
Joe: 14800+5200

Coryats
Mariah: 2400
Joe: 10200
Julia: 10200

Combined: 22,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Mariah: 2400
Joe:9800
Julia: 1400
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon May 06, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After DD3 Joe led 20,000 to 2600 to 1600 and yet he managed to put his advancement to next week at risk by the end of the DJ! round. Tsk tsk.

Nice run by Julia in DOOMED TO REPEAT “IT” to get herself in the match.

By the time of the balloon brothers clue it was a predictable TS as if they players were not going to get the photo of the duo singing brothers or the Fred Grandy TV show then they were not going to have that kind of depth of knowledge.

The FJ! clue took care of my 10/10 tourney dreams right off the bat. I played it like a simpleton and wrote Walt Whitman in going off “grassy” towards a Leaves of Grass connection. :oops:

I knew I had a perfectly good chance of being wrong and considered the standard poets that J! likes, during think music. The right guy was in the mix along with Thoreau for an outdoorsy feel from the quote. Without “diverged” or “less traveled” I was not going to sniff out the necessity to make the switch.

The players made up for their 22,800 combined Coryat to close well with the 3/3.

I had to double check my work today to make sure I did not have “James” anywhere by force of habit and I did have one I needed to change to Joe.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Hell yeah my wild guess in my one of my weaker FJ categories was right. Still counts, baby.

No disrespect to James but it's fun to watch competitive games again.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Any mention of Larry Martin?
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:06 am The FJ! clue took care of my 10/10 tourney dreams right off the bat. I played it like a simpleton and wrote Walt Whitman in going off “grassy” towards a Leaves of Grass connection. :oops:
You're not the only one. I guess I should have paid more attention to the quote itself, but like you, I latched onto that one word, wrote his name down and then comfortably waited out the rest of the think music.

After being spoiled by James' run for so long, it feels both refreshing and unusual to see a game that's, well... competitive.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:06 am After DD3 Joe led 20,000 to 2600 to 1600 and yet he managed to put his advancement to next week at risk by the end of the DJ! round. Tsk tsk.

By the time of the balloon brothers clue it was a predictable TS as if they players were not going to get the photo of the duo singing brothers or the Fred Grandy TV show then they were not going to have that kind of depth of knowledge.

The FJ! clue took care of my 10/10 tourney dreams right off the bat. I played it like a simpleton and wrote Walt Whitman in going off “grassy” towards a Leaves of Grass connection. :oops:

I knew I had a perfectly good chance of being wrong and considered the standard poets that J! likes, during think music. The right guy was in the mix along with Thoreau for an outdoorsy feel from the quote. Without “diverged” or “less traveled” I was not going to sniff out the necessity to make the switch.

The players made up for their 22,800 combined Coryat to close well with the 3/3.

I had to double check my work today to make sure I did not have “James” anywhere by force of habit and I did have one I needed to change to Joe.
i also went with whitman...poet and grass..what else is there? well i guess there are others if you have knowledge of poetry...which i don't...doubt i can even name 5 poets throughout history
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

The Talking Mime wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:06 am The FJ! clue took care of my 10/10 tourney dreams right off the bat. I played it like a simpleton and wrote Walt Whitman in going off “grassy” towards a Leaves of Grass connection. :oops:
You're not the only one. I guess I should have paid more attention to the quote itself, but like you, I latched onto that one word, wrote his name down and then comfortably waited out the rest of the think music.

After being spoiled by James' run for so long, it feels both refreshing and unusual to see a game that's, well... competitive.
except they went through the board in order...that is the only thing i like about holzhauer...not going systematically top to bottom
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:06 am After DD3 Joe led 20,000 to 2600 to 1600 and yet he managed to put his advancement to next week at risk by the end of the DJ! round. Tsk tsk.

i can see them missing those iowa clues....they aren't that old and those clues were of a pop culture nature...the fact they missed the balloon dudes was kind of odd to me since they are of a historical nature
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:42 pm Any mention of Larry Martin?
there was no in memoriam on screen after or before a segment...not sure about the end of the program...not sure if any mention was made verbally as i ffwd through trebek's talk leading up to the reveal of the categories and also contestant interviews
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

Your Honour, I also plead guilty to this.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Another Whitman.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Frost here.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was eager to look up J. Rengstorf's Coryat, because M.J. Rengstorf is a pseudonym that's been used by Karl Coryat.

I had Frost before the music started.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:06 pm Another Whitman.
Seems like there were a lot of us. I blame it on James :lol: ...I was so relieved not to have his "competition" that I was over-confident by the end and never really considered the meaning of the quotation...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm on the opposite side of those who felt it was refreshing to see a competitive game again. I get the sentiment and might even have predicted that I would share it. Instead I found this game dragging. And the stakes seemed so small that it was hard to gin up a lot of interest.

I shared Alex's reaction to the TS on the first planet discovered in modern times:

And it wasn't a quiet TS either. With 7 planets to choose from (Earth being, one would hope obviously, excluded), each teacher took a swing and a miss. Two of the misses were... surprising. Joe guessed Venus (postulating some seriously inattentive pre-moderns since Venus can be seen with the naked eye) and Julia guessed the planet Pluto (1930-2006). Mariah is the only one who rang in with a plausible guess (of the two available, really). But Neptune was also incorrect.

Put it down to jitters since Joe correctly responded that Mercury and Venus were the two moonless planets. And Julia correctly associated the name Cassini with Saturn's rings. Both clues were lower on the board than the Uranus clue and deservedly so.

Regarding the picture above, Alex's hair looks different. Are we seeing signs of cancer treatment or is the timeline wrong for that? I also note the impressive desk he's sitting behind. Does he normally do that? Cuts to Alex in other games don't normally show any furniture. I guess for this one they wanted to show Alexa sitting there, helping out.

This FJ was a softball that could've been made into a wicked curve. If they'd asked the name of the POEM, we likely wouldn't have seen a triple get. In the archive there are two cases where the first contestant to ring in on a variant of that clue got it right. The other three times the first buzzer negged with "The Road Less Traveled". And in one of those cases, no one picked up the rebound. I'm betting at least one of tonight's contestants would have written "The Road Less Traveled" as the title.
Spoiler
The title, of course, is "The Road Not Taken." (The Road Less Traveled is the title of M. Scott Peck's 1978 pop-psychology book.) Oh, and for those who quote Frost's poem for its deeply inspirational message, Frost was being sarcastic. No, I'm not kidding.
So will the quarterfinal FJs be true to form this year--four gimmes and a stinker? That's a caricature, but I think there's truth behind it. There always seems to be one game or occasionally two where the contestants get the shaft. Their wildcard dreams go up in smoke courtesy of a measurably (via the weekly poll) more difficult FJ.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

We were spoiled rotten the last 22 games. Never thought I'd see a game like this again but here we are!
The biggest head-scratcher wasn't the triple-neg on "Which planet did Herschel discover*?" but "Which war did the Army of the Potomac fight in?" Without all the negs, it would've been a decent game, since they combined for 48R and all got the trap FJ.
*William and his sister Caroline were both accomplished astronomers; he discovered Uranus while she discovered several comets.
Hoping for a third lap
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Whitman Frost. "Grassy" just wasn't enough for me to put the pen down

I drew a total blank on Fred Grandy / Gopher, and I'm a child of the 80's! :oops:

I'll make a mental note of Vaal (Transvaal) and William Herschel, but I won't bother remembering the frères Montgolfier. There's only so much space up there

Podium #1 took a risk with the Superman guess at $2000. With $400 on the board and no clues left (or few), Final could have been a 2-teacher affair
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:49 pm Regarding the picture above, Alex's hair looks different.
The first public appearance he made with the wig was the TCM Classic Film Festival in mid-April. He didn't have it for the March 6 diagnosis announcement nor the March 8 paparazzi shots. A source on reddit (confirmed by OntarioQuizzer) says this tournament taped April 1 and 2. So the timeline fits. This is post-treatment. We may see him go back to pre-wig for the next episodes of the James Show.