Monday, May 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Wheatley »

yclept wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:22 am Not that I have a horse in this race, but damn - if I was up to $20K in a QF tournament game I would choose carefully which clues I am ringing in on the rest of the round. No more DDs, so while it is possible that someone can get within 50%, nobody is going to overtake you.

At first, I wondered why someone with $400 would ring in on a $2K clue at the end of the game - may as well just hang around for the final. However, strange things happen in these tournaments so having the potential to get to $4,800 is worth the risk if the Wild Card field collapses.

As for the game itself, there is nothing that will compare to what James is doing - but that doesn’t mean a solid player like Colby or Larry won’t emerge. I don’t know the order of taping, but I guess if I was one of the 15 contestants, I would he grateful to have a shot at $100K and a TOC berth without having James at one of the podiums.
She has nothing to lose. A final score of $800 is effectively a 0% chance of a wildcard, whilst $4800 is a slim chance, meaning her chances increase by infinity percent.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

That's more like the J! I love. At least two of the contestants seriously battling it out and ending with respectable results. Even a few TSs for those of us at home longing to pick up some scraps: F.W. Woolworth, Everly Brothers, Knossus, Love Boat, Montgolfier.

Congrats to Joe (and almost certainly Julia) for advancing, and thanks for a nice game.

Have to say, on LPN I ALMOST said what several people I know have said who actually ARE LPNs: it stands for "low-paid nurse." But that's another story.

Instaget on Frost.

On a completely unrelated note, I see that in the Kentucky Derby Country House was awarded the win after Maximum Security and his jockey prevented other horses from passing in the final stretch. And of course the president was outraged, tweeting "The best horse DID NOT WIN!" How ironic that Donald Trump sticks up for the horse disqualified for obstruction.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

RKane wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:56 pm I mean that was... fine, but people really prefer this to the King, who has recorded scores literally double and triple their combined score, has Coryats far above their combined Coryat, and takes weeks to get as many incorrect responses as they did?
I, for one, definitely preferred this game to what we've been seeing. A Harlem Globetrotters game with all of the antics is fun once in a while, but not day after day.

I was trying to answer Kilmer, couldn't think of his name, and went with Frost just to have an answer.

Joe is lucky he got it right since his name almost anagrams to "Neg Frost" (I fully expected Stefan to beat me to that one).
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

I wonder if I'm the only one who got to the right poem (though I might not have gotten the name right) but didn't know the author?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Meal Ticket was my only miss today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Vaal, F. W. Woolworth, Only Girl, Uranus, Knossos, Tollund Man, Power Outages, Machine Guns, Everly Brothers, The Love Boat, Montgolfier Brothers

Knew Knossos just from Sir Arthur Evans. :ugeek:
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 pm Did anyone besides me get Tollund Man this time around? http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1576
Count me in. Denmark 1950 == Tollund Man. Archaeology is one of my strongest suits.
Douglas Squasoni
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 pm Did anyone besides me get Tollund Man this time around? http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1576
Count me in. Denmark 1950 == Tollund Man. Archaeology is one of my strongest suits.
You misspelled “everything”
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:35 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 am
You misspelled “everything”
LucarioSnooperVixey is actually the person who ultimately takes down James. He's just being coy about it.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

alietr wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:25 am
RKane wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:56 pm I mean that was... fine, but people really prefer this to the King, who has recorded scores literally double and triple their combined score, has Coryats far above their combined Coryat, and takes weeks to get as many incorrect responses as they did?
I, for one, definitely preferred this game to what we've been seeing. A Harlem Globetrotters game with all of the antics is fun once in a while, but not day after day.
On the one hand, fair enough to prefer this. On the other hand, comparing it to the Harlem Globetrotters is a little unfair. He is still playing the default game. A better comparison would be to a preposterously dominant team.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

RKane wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:02 pm
On the one hand, fair enough to prefer this. On the other hand, comparing it to the Harlem Globetrotters is a little unfair. He is still playing the default game. A better comparison would be to a preposterously dominant team.
i have been comparing it to the likes of duke men's basketball playing an hbcu...over before it even begins
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:36 pm
RKane wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:02 pm
i have been comparing it to the likes of duke men's basketball playing an hbcu...over before it even begins
...or four-on-four against a barbershop quartet....
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was on vacation in Buffalo, and I got super sick on the way back.

Loved the use of Alexa. It was something different.

You could tell Johnny was dubbed in post since his booth was empty, yet Alex still referred to him by name to mask this.

Somehow I knew both Anna Karenina and Tolstoy, but never put the two together.

NHO "writing on the wall" as a reference to disaster. My only miss there.

"Only Girl" was my only miss in Parenthetical.

I'm surprised Alex didn't nudge Joe when he missed the "It" part of the category twice.

Joe seemed really sloppy despite his dominance.

I ran "It", but had only three other gets in DJ! Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Everly Brothers, and Twister.

Didn't see a TOM in this clue at all. Even if I had gotten to "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood", I wouldn't have gotten to Frost. Apparently I need to work on matching works to authors...

Lach Trash: F. W. Woolworth, meal ticket, Everly Brothers
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 am I was on vacation in Buffalo,
That was your first mistake
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 am And I got super sick on the way back.
Oh, no, what did you infect Ontario with? Did you stop at the dead mall just past the Peace Bridge?

Get well soon!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:34 pm Oh, no, what did you infect Ontario with? Did you stop at the dead mall just past the Peace Bridge?

Get well soon!
I don't have a passport, so Canada is safe for now, eh?

Got to see Red Green on one of his last US tours. I'm feeling better now, but I don't think I'll be taking Greyhound again for a while.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 am Didn't see a TOM in this clue at all. Even if I had gotten to "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood", I wouldn't have gotten to Frost.
I hadn't thought about that but this really is a TOM-less clue. You had to recognize the quotes (or at least the feel of them) or you were hosed. Boardies who tried to go the TOM route are telling us they ended up keying in on "grassy" and guessing Whitman.

I wonder how many poems there are where Jeopardy! can quote non-title lines and reliably expect contestants to provide the name of the poet and/or poem. The list can't be terribly long.

A few possibilities:

1. I grow old … I grow old …/ I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
2. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height/ My soul can reach
3. And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,/ Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
4. But I have promises to keep,/ And miles to go before I sleep
5. My name is [title], King of Kings/ Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
6. Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun/ The frumious Bandersnatch!
7. Thou art more lovely and more temperate
8. Old age should burn and rave at close of day;/ Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
9. The Carriage held but just Ourselves – / And Immortality.
10. Once upon a midnight dreary,/ while I pondered, weak and weary
11. And I will luve thee still, my dear,/ Till a' the seas gang dry:
12. Does it dry up/ Like a raisin in the sun?
13. Give me your tired, your poor,/ Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
14. Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all/ Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
15. What immortal hand or eye,/ Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?
16. They also serve who only stand and wait.
17. One short sleep past, we wake eternally/ And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.
18. I am the master of my fate,/ I am the captain of my soul.

Check your answers and report your score.
Spoiler
1. T. S. Eliot - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
2. Elizabeth Barrett Browning - Sonnets from the Portuguese #43 "How Do I Love Thee?" (Two points possible for the title--one for the number, one for the name. In this case three of the title words appear in the quote. That makes it easier.)
3. William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming (TOC level maybe? Or do you guys know this one?)
4. Robert Frost - Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening (Another gotcha from Frost. Easy to neg with "Stopping by THE Woods..." if asked for a title.)
5. Percy Shelley - Ozymandias
6. Lewis Carroll - Jabberwocky
7. Shakespeare - Sonnet 18 "Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day" (Two points possible for the title--one for the number, one for the name. Maybe gettable if the clue talks about the poet contemplating a certain action and then raising this objection? Or would the clue need "compare" or "comparison" in there to jog the memory?)
8. Dylan Thomas - Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night (No title point if you said "Gently" rather than "Gentle")
9. Emily Dickinson - Because I Could Not Stop for Death (Is the title gettable? Were you tempted to say "SINCE I could not..."? Give yourself a bonus point if you sang the lines to the tune of either Yellow Rose of Texas or the theme from Gilligan's Island.)
10. Edgar Allan Poe - The Raven (How much easier does this become if I quote a line containing the word "nevermore"?)
11. Robert Burns - A Red, Red Rose (Take a bonus point if you remembered to say R-r-r-r-r-r-obbie Burns. If you don't, Alex will.)
12. Langston Hughes - Dream Deferred (Jeopardy! rules let you take the point on this title even if you stuck "a" or "the" up front.)
13. Emma Lazarus - The New Colossus (It's almost impossible to imagine Jeopardy! asking for this information without making some reference to the Statue of Liberty in the clue. Would that make a difference for you?)
14. John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn
15. William Blake - The Tyger (1 bonus point for correct spelling. Would this have been easier or harder if I'd chosen the line "Did he who made the Lamb make thee?")
16. John Milton - On His Blindness (I'm thinking TOC level?)
17. John Donne - Death Be Not Proud (gets a great deal harder if I choose a line without the word "death")
18. William Ernest Henley - Invictus (I could come up with the title but not the author)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:45 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 am Didn't see a TOM in this clue at all. Even if I had gotten to "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood", I wouldn't have gotten to Frost.
I hadn't thought about that but this really is a TOM-less clue. You had to recognize the quotes (or at least the feel of them) or you were hosed. Boardies who tried to go the TOM route are telling us they ended up keying in on "grassy" and guessing Whitman.
I think one of the other problems is that I tend not to have titles and authors matched up very well in my head. It happend twice today: I know both Anna Karenina and the name Leo Tolstoy, but never managed to match the two. Same with The Road Not Taken/Robert Frost.

Compare "That Road Not Taken" by Joe Diffie.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Spoiler
1. T. S. Eliot - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
2. Elizabeth Barrett Browning - Sonnets from the Portuguese #43 "How Do I Love Thee?" (Two points possible for the title--one for the number, one for the name. In this case three of the title words appear in the quote. That makes it easier.)
3. William Butler Yeats - The Second Coming (TOC level maybe? Or do you guys know this one?)
4. Robert Frost - Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening (Another gotcha from Frost. Easy to neg with "Stopping by THE Woods..." if asked for a title.)
5. Percy Shelley - Ozymandias
6. Lewis Carroll - Jabberwocky
7. Shakespeare - Sonnet 18 "Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day" (Two points possible for the title--one for the number, one for the name. Maybe gettable if the clue talks about the poet contemplating a certain action and then raising this objection? Or would the clue need "compare" or "comparison" in there to jog the memory?)
8. Dylan Thomas - Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night (No title point if you said "Gently" rather than "Gentle")
9. Emily Dickinson - Because I Could Not Stop for Death (Is the title gettable? Were you tempted to say "SINCE I could not..."? Give yourself a bonus point if you sang the lines to the tune of either Yellow Rose of Texas or the theme from Gilligan's Island.)
10. Edgar Allan Poe - The Raven (How much easier does this become if I quote a line containing the word "nevermore"?)
11. Robert Burns - A Red, Red Rose (Take a bonus point if you remembered to say R-r-r-r-r-r-obbie Burns. If you don't, Alex will.)
12. Langston Hughes - Dream Deferred (Jeopardy! rules let you take the point on this title even if you stuck "a" or "the" up front.)
13. Emma Lazarus - The New Colossus (It's almost impossible to imagine Jeopardy! asking for this information without making some reference to the Statue of Liberty in the clue. Would that make a difference for you?)
14. John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn
15. William Blake - The Tyger (1 bonus point for correct spelling. Would this have been easier or harder if I'd chosen the line "Did he who made the Lamb make thee?")
16. John Milton - On His Blindness (I'm thinking TOC level?)
17. John Donne - Death Be Not Proud (gets a great deal harder if I choose a line without the word "death")
18. William Ernest Henley - Invictus (I could come up with the title but not the author)
32 points: 15 poets/titles (1-15), one orphan title (18), two blanks (16-17), one bonus point for #15. I gave myself credit for calling #12
Spoiler
"Harlem."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

LOL at Alex mentioning James in his opening monologue, as if his last game had actually been played three days earlier.

I didn't have a problem with Julia's wager, she has a decent shot at a WC if she is wrong and also locks out Mariah.

I said Clark Kent instead of Superman just because.

Instaget FJ.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 am I was on vacation in Buffalo, and I got super sick on the way back.

Loved the use of Alexa. It was something different.

You could tell Johnny was dubbed in post since his booth was empty, yet Alex still referred to him by name to mask this.

Somehow I knew both Anna Karenina and Tolstoy, but never put the two together.

NHO "writing on the wall" as a reference to disaster. My only miss there.

"Only Girl" was my only miss in Parenthetical.

I'm surprised Alex didn't nudge Joe when he missed the "It" part of the category twice.

Joe seemed really sloppy despite his dominance.

I ran "It", but had only three other gets in DJ! Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Everly Brothers, and Twister.

Didn't see a TOM in this clue at all. Even if I had gotten to "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood", I wouldn't have gotten to Frost. Apparently I need to work on matching works to authors...

Lach Trash: F. W. Woolworth, meal ticket, Everly Brothers
did you hit up the buffalo music hall of fame? cannibal corpse would have appreciated it
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I wonder how many poems there are where Jeopardy! can quote non-title lines and reliably expect contestants to provide the name of the poet and/or poem. The list can't be terribly long.
Add on Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat, maybe? "A jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and thou" has come up enough times over the years (at least, per the Archive) for me to count it. They asked about it earlier this year, in fact ($1200, Poet ID, Please). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host