Monday, May 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7996, 2019-05-20

James Holzhauer game 23.

CONTESTANTS
Adam Stone, an associate professor of political science from Marietta, Georgia
Jenny Gibbs, a handywoman and gardener from Charlottesville, Virginia
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 22-day cash winnings total $1,691,008)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome back to our regular series of competitive games on Jeopardy!. As impressive as the teachers were for the past two weeks, let me tell you that our current champion, James, is even more impressive. He holds the one-day record of $131,000, the most money won in a single episode of Jeopardy!. As a matter of fact, he holds the top 12 spots in the most money won in a single episode of Jeopardy!. He's good. Jenny and Adam, our challengers, they know that. But let's see what happens today. Good luck. Here we go. Let's do it. Here are the categories for the first round of play. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A DEGREE IN LITERATURE (5/5)
MURPHY, BROWN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET'S GO TO THAT SPORTS THING (5/5)
HAMMER TIME (5/5)
STOCK SYMBOLS (5/5)
THE DOUBLE L WITH YOU (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 20 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Adam: 6 R, 0 W
Jenny: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. James had $1,000, Jenny had $200, and Adam was at $1,000. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

MURPHY, BROWN $1000: Among the items she lost on the Titanic were crates of ancient artifacts that she had acquired for the Denver Museum

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $7,200
Adam: $3,400
Jenny: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Over the past few years, I've gotten a lot of press about facial hair. Adam Stone, you have a unique cut to your mustache, and I don't know what you would call it. It's not a beard. What is it?

Adam: I don't know. It doesn't have a name these days. But it just kinda happened. My wife's dad, my wife, Julie--her father had a full handlebar mustache. I wanted to do something different.

Alex: Okay. Thank you very much.

Alex: Jenny Gibbs is from Charlottesville, Virginia. Handywoman and gardener who has completely shaved her head how many times?

Jenny: Three times.

Alex: Why?

Jenny: The first was for giggles, just to see what people's reactions would be. Spoiler alert, they weren't great.

[Laughter]

Jenny: Second time was just summer expediency. It was really hot. And the third time was for a dear friend who was going through chemo, so.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: All right, James Holzhauer is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. Some people have wondered how you know so much. Where did you get your education? Where did you go to school?

James: I went--

Alex: Did you go to college?

James: Yes, I went to the University of Illinois. And I would say I majored in online poker.

[Laughter]

Alex: Were you a good student in the subjects you did attend?

James: I attended class as little as necessary.

[Laughter]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $12,000
Adam: $4,200
Jenny: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Mon May 20, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ART SCHOOL OF FISH (4/5)
NEW TO THE SCRABBLE PLAYERS DICTIONARY (5/5)
A SHAPELY CATEGORY (5/5)
A PRINCE AMONG MEN (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"O" THE PLACES YOU'LL GO (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE MONTHLY MOVIE TITLE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 17 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 0 W
Jenny: 7 R, 3 W
Adam: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. James had $13,200, Jenny was in the red with -$200, and Adam was at $5,800. James wagered $10,617.

"O" THE PLACES YOU'LL GO $1600: Pack your bags for this city, Japan's third-largest & the first in Asia to host a World's Fair

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was James who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. James had $25,017, Jenny was in the red with -$1,400, and Adam was at $5,800. James wagered $9,812.

A PRINCE AMONG MEN $1600: In the mid-19th century, Prince Felix of Schwarzenberg helped restore this Austrian line to prominence

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ART SCHOOL OF FISH $2000: This Frenchman, who inspired the Impressionists, painted some controversial works, & his fish were unorthodox too
(Adam: Who is Van Gogh?)
(Jenny: Who is Cezanne?)

A PRINCE AMONG MEN $2000: Charlemagne had a son with this name who found he had "Magic To Do" in Italy
(Jenny: Who is Pepin the Short?)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled incorrect before the Final Jeopardy! Round. Alex did not give the correct response.]

THE MONTHLY MOVIE TITLE $2000: In 1964 Burt Lancaster played a general attempting a military takeover of the government in this film

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $49,229 (lock game)
Jenny: $4,600
Adam: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAME THE FRENCH AUTHOR

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $40,028 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Jenny: Wager $3,801 to cover Adam.
Adam: Risk between $401 and $3,400, covering Jenny's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"I am making myself liable to Articles 30 & 31 of the law of 29 July regarding the press, which make libel a punishable offense"

FINAL SCORES
Adam: $4,200 - $4,199 = $1 (Who is ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jenny: $4,600 + $4,201 = $8,801 (Who is Zola?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $49,229 + $40,000 = $89,229 (Who is Emile Zola?) (23-day champion: $1,780,237)
(Alex: [To Jenny] His famous "I Accuse".)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $32,000, 37 R (including 3 DDs), 0 W
Jenny: $4,600, 11 R, 3 W
Adam: $4,200, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,800

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 38/61 = .623
Jenny: 12/58 = .207
Adam: 10/58 = .172
Team: 60/63 = .952

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HAMMER TIME $1000: The first of his name, this 13th-century English king was called the Hammer of the Scots

ART SCHOOL OF FISH $1600: A Winslow Homer has this weather condition in the title--the fisherman & his halibut catch are threatened by a bank of it

ART SCHOOL OF FISH $1200: Shades of Spielberg--John Singleton Copley's scary 1782 painting is titled "Watson and" this beast

ART SCHOOL OF FISH $800: E.S. Hardy's 19th-century depiction of this Hans Christian Andersen character is seen here

A PRINCE AMONG MEN $1200: You could call Cyrus the Younger, son of Darius II, by this title, also the name of a popular video game series
(Jenny: What is god of war?)

A SHAPELY CATEGORY $2000: In TV & movies, the shape of the screen is measured by this 2-word term--standard HDTV is 16:9
(James: What is display ratio?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the Final Jeopardy! Round.]

"O" THE PLACES YOU'LL GO $2000: Step on, up or down the Potemkin steps in this city
(Adam: What is Moscow?)

THE MONTHLY MOVIE TITLE $800: In 1990 Sean Connery could have sung, "We all live in a non-yellow submarine" in this film, but thankfully, did not
(James: I would have loved to hear it. What is [*]?)

NEW TO THE SCRABBLE PLAYERS DICTIONARY $2000: This cute canine, a cross of a toy breed & a hound dog

A SHAPELY CATEGORY $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a photograph with flare on the monitor.) The shape of a flare in photographs is based on the shape of this camera lens opening

A PRINCE AMONG MEN $800: In the Sutras he gave up being a prince on his journey towards enlightenment
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

ART SCHOOL OF FISH $400: The title subject of Henri Matisse's 1914 work, these popular pets were introduced to Europe in the 1600s

CORRECT RESPONSES
Molly Brown
Osaka
Habsburg
Edouard Manet
Pepin
Seven Days in May
Emile Zola
Edward
fog
a shark
the Little Mermaid
prince of Persia
aspect ratio (or display ratio)
Odessa
Hunt for Red October
a puggle
an aperture
Buddha
goldfish
Last edited by Archivists on Mon May 20, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAME THE FRENCH AUTHOR

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“I am making myself liable to articles 30 & 31 of the law of 29 July 1881 regarding the press, which make libel a punishable offense”

James Holzhauer: 49229+40000=89,229 (23x = $1,780,237)
Jenny Gibbs: 4600+4201=8801
Adam Stone: 4200-4199=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Emile Zola (Adam – Who is ?)

Daily Doubles
James: 1000+1000
James: 13200+10617
James: 25017+9812

Coryats
James: 32000
Jenny: 4600
Adam: 4200

Combined: 40,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 12000
Jenny: 1800
Adam: 4200
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex opened the DJ! round by commenting that the players did not miss any clues in the J! round. Naturally, clue 1 then had each of the challengers dropping $2000 on misses.

My scoresheet does not like scoring changes before the reveal of the FJ! clue as I had to adjust the numbers for both James and Jenny thanks to neg-to-get and get-to-neg on two separate $2000 clues.

With all of the people out of the woodwork to watch James it won’t be long until a post appears somewhere wondering why James got $4000 more or why Jenny lost $4000.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I sure did that on the FJ! clue. “Emil” had me off to a good start with my writing for solving the clue and then I started to think. Wait, he’s 1898. Who’s that other “libel” guy? I switched to Zenger.

If only I had a little more recall about Zenger to know I had a problem with more than 100 years off in addition to him being American. Of course it was the first guy. Why expect any variety from the writers?

Also with the writers there was little chance James could lose as he is more likely than the others to find the DDs and the 3 clues chosen for Daily Doubles were not even close to difficult to solve.

Even though it was a new game, today’s episode felt like I had already seen it with the pattern of James’s dominance so familiar.

$1,780,237 divided by 23 games? $77,402 (hair of rounding up) per victory. Astounding!
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Correct response is missing from Final Jeopardy!. And as noted above, James's average (mean) win now exceeds the previous one-day record. --Bob
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

Bob78164 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 am Correct response is missing from Final Jeopardy!. And as noted above, James's average (mean) win now exceeds the previous one-day record. --Bob
Mondays. Fixed, thanks.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Holy crap, the simulator on TJF now predicts that James wins an average of 73.6 games. Which rounds up to 74.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I loved that James wrote his name in the style of the logo today. Reminds me of the weird ways Ken wrote his name (my favorites being "dictionary pronunciation" and "cuneiform").

Double overturn before FJ!? That has to be a rarity.

Hammer didn't run Hammer. Didn't get the bottom 2.

Murphy Brown, Degree in Literature, Prince, and Movie Title. Despite my affinity for word categories, I was somehow also 0/5 in Double L.

"Hotel chain whose stock symbol is H" seemed like MASSIVE negbait for "Holiday Inn". Naturally, that cost me the run.

NHO "Born on the Fourth of July". That seemed very obscure for the top box.

All but the top box in Shapely. Just couldn't put the pieces together on that one. Didn't know "asteroid" could be an adjective, and my brain snagged on "stellar". Also just somehow never made the star->aster->asteroid connection on that word, since "asteroid" just seemed too short a word to even have a prefix or suffix in the first place (same problem I had with "diode").

All but "puggle" in Scrabble.

French Authors? Yeah, I'm screwed here. Correct response doesn't ring any bells for me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I negged on "August, Osage County" by guessing "Death in August". At least I got the month right. :D

Before the scoring corrections I calculated James' maximum safe bet and figured his daily average would go down slightly. We'd have to wait a while to see James' average game exceed Roger Craig's one-day record. After the corrections I figured today would be the day.

When Alex announced there were "corrections" I knew one of them would be "display ratio". I knew as soon as James said it that it would likely be accepted. Then, by the time the FJ category was announced, I'd forgotten. I'd also forgotten about being surprised by "Pepin the Short" since I'd thought that was the father of Gross Karl, not the son. Alex did not tell us what response they actually wanted. I'm guessing "Pepin" would have been sufficient, even though Charlemagne had two sons with that name--Pepin the Hunchback and Pepin of Italy.

Of those two, which one were they really talking about? The son found he had "magic to do" in Italy. So you might think they were going for Pepin of Italy. But Pepin the Hunchback is also associated with Italy AND he's the loose basis for Pippin of Broadway musical fame. Since that musical features the song "Magic to Do," the hunchback must be the one they were going for.

So the reversal was completely right but still tough for Jenny. On the plus side, she got to "keep" the $2000 from her rebound on "aspect ratio". But that's a small comfort when you've put up such a good fight (including battling back from the red) and are still locked out and then get told you didn't even do as well as you thought. That's a bitter pill.

As an aside it doesn't surprise me that the "aspect ratio" clue was at the bottom of the category. You don't have to visit many restaurants or waiting rooms to realize most people have zero clue that that's even a thing. I've seen so many stretched pictures that should be pillarboxed and squashed pictures that SHOULDN'T be letterboxed etc. etc. Years ago I watched a DVD of Anchorman with a friend. He had it on his widescreen TV, but he'd bought the DVD from one of those grocery store bins for cheap. He didn't even notice that the picture was stretched. I had to show him on the DVD case where it said the picture had been formatted to fit his screen and then explain that meant it was formatted to fit a screen he DIDN'T have. Then I had to fiddle with his remote to get it to show in 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't think he really cared. I had a similar experience with my parents three years ago, but you expect it from people their age. Still, it was irritating because they wouldn't let me fix the problem. The picture looked fine to them. So I was stuck watching a movie I didn't really want to watch AND it was being displayed wrong. Grrrrrr....

Irritatingly, even my subconscious mutinies and tells me there's no difference between widescreen and "standard". Every time I see that something is in 16:9, my mind automatically tries to "reduce" the ratio to 4:3 by taking the square root of both sides.

This FJ was just a variation on an old Jeopardy! chestnut. Zola, Dreyfus, and J'Accuse...! have figured in many clues over the years. I don't think I learned of the incident through Jeopardy!, but I don't know if I'd remember it without all the repetition. But with the reinforcement over the years, this FJ was a gimme.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Welcome Back James!!

RETURN OF THE KING!! 73 TO GO!!
Spoiler
Really hope he can clear out this week without missing another clue; that would get him down to 1.00 wrong per game.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

James only left $28 on the table in Final Jeopardy. That is the smallest amount ever!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

whoever zola is
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

good to see holzhauer finally was credited with a correct response when answering with rally
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Today is World Metrology Day, and not a clue or category? This year is actually quite profound, the IPK (International Prototype Kilogram) is no longer a primary standard any more than the length of King John's foot. I've inquired with the BIPM if I can keep my car keys under those 3 bell jars in that basement in France. We could have had one last clue about that hunk of metal :).
Deeper dive:
Spoiler
The kilogram was the last physical artifact tied to the SI units. We also are decoupling the Kelvin unit (not degree K, lol) from the triple point of water. Now the Kelvin is defined via the Boltzmann constant, which is fixed by definition. As a result, the triple point of water now has an uncertainty to it's real value. In the ninth decimal place, but there it be.
I've had the pleasure of watching these proceedings from the ASTM temperature committee and our many friends at NIST. The amp, mole, and candela also have new footings. Every unit is now tied to a constant of nature.
Sorry for the off-topic, but I always get a little giddy on WMD :).
I missed half the show today due to tornado alerts, including the reveal of FJ. I knew it was the XYZ dudes and came up with J'Accuse, but couldn't pull either name. James' solve was a given, props to the other player for pulling it.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Tue May 21, 2019 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm Today is World Metrology Day, and not a clue or category? This year is actually quite profound, the IPK (International Prototype Kilogram) is no longer a primary standard any more than the length of King John's foot. I've inquired with the BIPM if I can keep my car keys under those 3 bell jars in that basement in France. We could have had one last clue about that hunk of metal :).
Deeper dive:
Spoiler
The kilogram was the last physical artifact tied to the SI units. We also are decoupling the Kelvin unit (not degree K, lol) from the triple point of water. Now the Kelvin is defined via the Boltzmann constant, which is fixed by definition. As a result, the triple point of water now has an uncertainty to it's real value. In the ninth decimal place, but there it be.
I've had the pleasure of watching these proceedings from the ASTM temperature committee and our many friends at NIST. The amp, mole, and candela also have new footings. Every unit is now tied to a constant of nature.
Sorry for the off-topic, but I always get a little giddy on WMD :).
I missed half the show today due to tornado alerts, including the reveal of FJ. I knew it was the XYZ dudes and came up with J'Accuse, but couldn't pull either name. James' solve was a given, props to the other player for pulling it.

what are the odds of getting it right for that lucy snoopy dude that comes on here?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:58 pm I knew it was the XYZ dudes and came up with J'Accuse, but couldn't pull either name. James' solve was a given, props to the other player for pulling it.
what are the odds of getting it right for that lucy snoopy dude that comes on here?
[/quote]

I think our resident pre-revolutionary Russian scholar will be accurate to the ninth decimal place. I have only been here on the board a couple of years but know that this is a J! staple based on the XYZ affair which we never quite made it to in World HIstory class in school.

ETA - apology for conflation of XYZ - must increase Google rate before posting. Thanks econgator.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Mon May 20, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 pm I think our resident pre-revolutionary Russian scholar will be accurate to the ninth decimal place. I have only been here on the board a couple of years but know that this is a J! staple based on the XYZ affair which we never quite made it to in World HIstory class in school.
J'accuse was about the jailing of Alfred Dreyfus. It had nothing to do with the XYZ affair (which was about 100 years earlier).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:20 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 pm I think our resident pre-revolutionary Russian scholar will be accurate to the ninth decimal place. I have only been here on the board a couple of years but know that this is a J! staple based on the XYZ affair which we never quite made it to in World HIstory class in school.
J'accuse was about the jailing of Alfred Dreyfus. It had nothing to do with the XYZ affair (which was about 100 years earlier).
damage minimized. thanks.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had to take a second to make sure I had Zola and Dreyfuss straight, but other than that, it was smooth sailing. This has showed up so often.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 pm
econgator wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:20 pm
damage minimized. thanks.
Not quite. It's still in your first post in this thread.