Monday, May 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 pm ...NHO "Born on the Fourth of July". That seemed very obscure for the top box.
That movie is anything BUT obscure. Won two Oscars including Best Director, nominated for several more including Best Picture. Did pretty well at the box office, too... I think.

It was a very much-talked-about movie during its release... HAS to be considering that I, an anti-movie guy if there ever was one, has heard of the flick. Of course, I haven't actually seen it, but that's par for the course...

Has over 30 hits on J! Archive, too.
Seems super generational. I doubt anyone under 40 has heard of it.

pretty good chance they have...especially if they do trivia on a regular basis...it won academy awards
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

John Boy wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:12 pm
RKane wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:07 pm Welcome Back James!!

RETURN OF THE KING!! 73 TO GO!!
OK, I give up. 73 WHAT to go until WHAT?

He needs another 51 games to tie KJ's record for wins, and even with "normal" wins (not the kind he has been cranking out) he passes KJ's regular season $$ total long before that.

Soooooo, again what is 73???
He has 23 wins now. He needs 77 more to get to 100, aka the Holzhauer Hundred. 73 is an embarassing typo on my part; sorry for the confusion.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 pm ...NHO "Born on the Fourth of July". That seemed very obscure for the top box.
That movie is anything BUT obscure. Won two Oscars including Best Director, nominated for several more including Best Picture. Did pretty well at the box office, too... I think.

It was a very much-talked-about movie during its release... HAS to be considering that I, an anti-movie guy if there ever was one, has heard of the flick. Of course, I haven't actually seen it, but that's par for the course...

Has over 30 hits on J! Archive, too.
Seems super generational. I doubt anyone under 40 has heard of it.
EDITED BY MOD: Personal attacks have no place here.

I'm not only below 40, but below 30, and I've not only heard of it, I've seen it, and own it on two different formats.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

RKane wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:41 pm I'm not only below 40, but below 30, and I've not only heard of it, I've seen it, and own it on two different formats.
Half the archive hits I get by doing "born on the fourth of july" site:j-archive.com are false positives (i.e., category names, clues saying that a famous person was born on the Fourth of July, etc.). The few that are actual hits are much further down the board, and the next-most recent is from 2009. Things can be popular and award-winning in their heyday yet fade from consciousness in the intervening years.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm 32, probably the most non-movie person on this board (haven't been to a theater in over seven years), and I've definitely heard of Born on the Fourth of July.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:07 pm
RKane wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:41 pm I'm not only below 40, but below 30, and I've not only heard of it, I've seen it, and own it on two different formats.
Half the archive hits I get by doing "born on the fourth of july" site:j-archive.com are false positives (i.e., category names, clues saying that a famous person was born on the Fourth of July, etc.). The few that are actual hits are much further down the board, and the next-most recent is from 2009. Things can be popular and award-winning in their heyday yet fade from consciousness in the intervening years.
trivia does exist outside of jeopardy
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:11 pm I'm 32, probably the most non-movie person on this board (haven't been to a theater in over seven years), and I've definitely heard of Born on the Fourth of July.
I'm mid-50s, lived on another continent when the movie came out, hate most popular movie genres, never pay attention to the Oscars, and the last film I saw in a cinema was the final Harry Potter film. Yep, I've heard of Born on the Fourth of July.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:59 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:11 pm I'm 32, probably the most non-movie person on this board (haven't been to a theater in over seven years), and I've definitely heard of Born on the Fourth of July.
I'm mid-50s, lived on another continent when the movie came out, hate most popular movie genres, never pay attention to the Oscars, and the last film I saw in a cinema was the final Harry Potter film. Yep, I've heard of Born on the Fourth of July.
the last film i saw in the theatre was the day after tomorrow...even longer without having gone to the cinema than you (2004)
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:07 pm
You know what: You win. I'm done. Have a nice life, boardies. Go James Go.

Final comment: I wasn't the one saying it had Archive hits. I was responding to your claim no one under40 had heard of it, which would in principle be up to you to prove, by giving accurate information that categorically disproves you.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

This was a good FJ. I looked at first to Voltaire, then The French Revolution, and got to Emile Zola.
Was wondering what was up w/ Pepin the Short getting negged..
I could challenge Iron horse for being the most non-movie person on the board, and I knew "Born on the Fourth of July". That movie was huge at the time.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I kind of hate to weigh in on the "Born on the Fourth of July" discussion, since it seems to have become a hot button for some reason. However, I can't say I've ever heard of it as a theatrical release in spite of being over 40 by a year or 25. I know nothing about it yet, but would confuse it for those Independence Day farcical movies.

I'm not claiming the low ground for non-movie awokeness either, it just doesn't surprise me either way that I missed the buzz at the time, whenever the hell that time was. Happens regularly, just like the whole handmaid's tale and most of the Game of Thrones run. One nice thing about being out of the loop, we regularly find a feature movie that we enjoy on the DVR on demand that I didn't know existed - we caught Sherlock Holmes with the Iron Man guy just this weekend.

Hope we can all get along :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

I don't think anyone's mentioned in this thread that the star of the movie was Tom Cruise. That's why most people have heard of it...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

RKane wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:41 pm
He has 23 wins now. He needs 77 more to get to 100, aka the Holzhauer Hundred. 73 is an embarassing typo on my part; sorry for the confusion.
James seems like a super nice guy, and obviously one of the greatest players ever. Still I don't think I could stand to watch 77 more games like this. The games and even the money have lost all meaning. It's like what I would imagine it would be to watch some guy break into MLB and hit 150 home runs every season for 100 years.

No thanks.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:56 am
RKane wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:41 pm
James seems like a super nice guy, and obviously one of the greatest players ever. Still I don't think I could stand to watch 77 more games like this. The games and even the money have lost all meaning. It's like what I would imagine it would be to watch some guy break into MLB and hit 150 home runs every season for 100 years.

No thanks.
Twilight Zone, anyone??
They always say about fishing - if you caught one every cast it would be boring. To this I say: TRY MEEEE!!
But, this is very old. I think his gameplay is a paradigm shift, but don't think the game will change long term after he is gone. We might see more volatility.

It seems like James is less interrupt-y. Maybe I tuned it out or missed it? Maybe Alex adapted and quit trying to add color? Could the CC's have coached James that he is hurting his likeability?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:28 am

It seems like James is less interrupt-y. Maybe I tuned it out or missed it? Maybe Alex adapted and quit trying to add color? Could the CC's have coached James that he is hurting his likeability?
That would be fair game for the CCs to do that. There is nothing that makes me dislike players more than their being rude to Alex by interrupting him.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.