Friday, May 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #8000, 2019-05-24

James Holzhauer game 27. James breaks the $2 million mark.

CONTESTANTS
Susan Waller, a K-12 school administrator from Chester, Pennsylvania
Sam Kooistra, a criminal defense lawyer from Tucson, Arizona
James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (whose 26-day cash winnings total $1,991,135)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Possibility of a big moment on our program today--a $2 million mark set by James. Well, Sam and Susan will have a considerable amount of say in that. Let's see how things work out. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. One Daily Double coming up in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLUES ACROSS TEXAS (5/5) (Alex: Each clue will be delivered by a personality from one of our affiliated stations in the great state of Texas.)
ADVERBS (4/5)
HIP-HOP TO IT (5/5)
"GREEN" BOOK (5/5)
FAMOUS LEFTIES (5/5)
THE BIG UNIT OF MEASURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 22 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Sam: 6 R, 1 W
Susan: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
James: $9,000
Sam: $1,400
Susan: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Susan Waller is from Chester, Pennsylvania. And this lady collects nesting dolls. When did that start?

Susan: Well, it started probably maybe 25 years ago. My mother got me on my way. I have an Amish family nesting doll collection, and Greek gods, and then I also have Philadelphia Phillies the year we won the World Series.

Alex: Now what about Russian dolls?

Susan: I have a few of those. One from Russia, a large one from Russia, and one from Poland as well that an aunt of mine brought back for me.

Alex: That's a fun collection you have. Good for you.

Alex: Sam Kooistra, from Tucson, Arizona. Criminal defense lawyer who once spent how many weeks in a tent in order to get tickets to a basketball game?

Sam: About six weeks.

Alex: Oh. What was the occasion?

Sam: I went to undergrad at Duke University. The home game against UNC is a big deal every year.

Alex: Yes.

Sam: So if you wanna get in the arena, you gotta sleep in a tent.

Alex: That long?

Sam: Made it in. And we won, so it was worth it.

Alex: Absolutely. Coach K has won a lot of games at Duke.

Sam: He has.

Alex: Now, our champion is James Holzhauer. We're in the middle of the baseball season. And there was a movie called Moneyball a few years ago in which statistics, analytics played a big part in determining the success of a baseball team. What do you feel about that?

James: Oh, I think the teams are doing a very good job, actually, balancing the stats and the scouts out right now. Although stats led me to bet on Tampa in that World Series.

[James inclines his head toward Susan.]

James: So you're bringing up all kinds of bad work memories for me here. If any teams are hiring...

Alex: But that's a job you would be interested in.

James: Well, before I knew that Jeopardy! contestant was a palatable career, yes.

Alex: Oh, oh, oh.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
James found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. James had $11,600, Sam had $2,000, and Susan had nothing in the bank. James made it a True Daily Double, wagering $11,600.

THE BIG UNIT OF MEASURE $400: This unit of explosive power is equivalent to detonating 2 billion pounds of TNT

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ADVERBS $800: Motherly synonym

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
James: $24,600
Sam: $2,200
Susan: -$600
Last edited by Archivists on Sat May 25, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LET'S GO TO THE OPERA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ACTORS WE MISS (5/5)
QUASI-RELATED PAIRS (4/5)
IN THE KING JAMES BIBLE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES & A BOAT (1/4)
QUEEN VICTORIA (3/4) (Alex: In honor of the 200th birthday year, a whole category devoted to...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
James: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Susan: 2 R, 0 W
Sam: 4 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. James had $24,600, Sam had $2,600, and Susan had a deficit with -$600. Sam made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,600.

IN THE KING JAMES BIBLE $2000: Isaiah prophesied peace, when "they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into" these
(Sam: What are... rakes?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sam who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 6th clue. James had $24,600, Sam was in the red with -$400, and Susan had a deficit with -$600. Sam wagered $2,000.

LET'S GO TO THE OPERA $1600: The waiting list for the annual Wagner festival in this Bavarian city can be 10 years long
(Sam: What is Munich?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
QUEEN VICTORIA $2000: Given this new anesthetic to inhale, Queen Victoria felt little or no pain in 1853 when she delivered her eighth child
(Sam: What is ether?)
(James: What is nitrous oxide?)

PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES & A BOAT $1600: A biplane called the Vin Fiz left Long Island in 1911 & 16 crashes later, completed the first crossing by plane of this

QUASI-RELATED PAIRS $1200: A declaration of victory in a card game & a musical synonym for "keynote"

PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES & A BOAT $1200: This train sung of by blues artists got its name from its 12:05 A.M. departure en route to Parchman Penitentiary
(James: What is "Midnight Train To Georgia"?)

PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES & A BOAT $800: Honda broke through in the U.S. with the 1973 this, a model still made today

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
James: $39,400 (lock game)
Susan: $1,800
Sam: -$2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AROUND THE USA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
James: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $35,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Susan: You've no hope of catching up... unless James does something stupid. So risk as much as $1,799; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Astronomy buffs visit Idaho for the USA's first dark sky reserve; oddly, part of it is this resort area with a bright name

FINAL SCORES
Susan: $1,800 - $0 = $1,800 (What ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
James: $39,400 + $35,000 = $74,400 (What is Sun Valley? Las Vegas Strip) (27-day champion: $2,065,535)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
James: $28,200, 37 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Sam: $2,600, 10 R, 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Susan: $1,800, 3 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $32,600

BATTING AVERAGES
James: 38/59 = .644
Sam: 10/60 = .167
Susan: 3/58 = .052
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ADVERBS $1000: We're heading this way, a non-ly adverb meaning toward the mouth of a river
(Susan: What is upriver?)

CLUES ACROSS TEXAS $1000: (Hi, I'm Kris Radcliffe from KCEN 6.) The "Branding the Brazos" sculptures depict a cattle drive across Waco's suspension bridge, opened in 1870 as part of this trail; there was a nickel toll for each head of cattle crossing

CLUES ACROSS TEXAS $800: (I'm Robert Hadlock from KXAN.) You may think the yellow rose is the Texas state flower, but it's actually this one named for its color

CLUES ACROSS TEXAS $600: (I'm Pooja Lodhia with ABC 13.) Opened in 1961, KTRK was the first large domed structure in Houston; a few years later, its architect, Hermon Lloyd, designed this bigger one

FAMOUS LEFTIES $600: Steve Young used his left hand to toss 6 TD passes in this team's 1995 Super Bowl route of the Chargers
(James: First bet I ever lost. Who are [*]?)

CLUES ACROSS TEXAS $400: (I'm Anne Elise Parks with TXA 21.) The George W. Bush Presidential Library is in this city where the president moved back to after the White House

HIP-HOP TO IT $600: Lil Duval provided a "Smile (Living My Best Life)" with help from this "canine" superstar & Ball Greezy
(Sam: Who is Bow Wow?)
(Susan: Who is Pitbull?)

CLUES ACROSS TEXAS $200: (Hi, I'm Deborah Knapp for KENS 5.) The Witte Museum's collection includes a fiddle filled with rattlesnake rattles that belonged to this frontiersman & onetime Congressman who met his end at the Alamo

ACTORS WE MISS $2000: This horror movie actor has been listed as a record holder for most screen credits, including the "Lord of the Rings" films

QUASI-RELATED PAIRS $2000: IBM president Thomas & a pain in the neck
(Sam: What is Crick and...)

QUEEN VICTORIA $1200: After attending this Shakespeare comedy, the queen mentioned "Mendelssohn's beautiful overture" in her diary
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

QUEEN VICTORIA $800: Victoria set a new fashion trend when she wore a white wedding dress with lace to marry this prince of a guy in 1840

LET'S GO TO THE OPERA $400: operabase.com says this city led the world with 632 opera performances in 2017-18, many at the Bolshoi
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a megaton
maternally
pruning hooks
Bayreuth
chloroform
the United States
gin and tonic
the "Midnight Special"
the Honda Civic
Sun Valley
downstream
the Chisholm Trail
the bluebonnet
the Astrodome
the 49ers
Dallas
Snoop Dogg
Davy Crockett
Christopher Lee
Watson and Crick
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Albert
Moscow
Last edited by Archivists on Sat May 25, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AROUND THE USA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Astronomy buffs visit Idaho for the USA’s first dark sky reserve; oddly, part of it is this resort area with a bright name

James Holzhauer: 39400+35000=74400 (27x = $2,065,535)
Sam Kooistra: minus 2000
Susan Waller: 1800-0=1800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sun Valley (James Las Vegas Strip) (Susan – What ?)

Daily Doubles
James: 11600+11600
Sam: 2600-2600
Sam: minus 400-2000

Coryats
James: 28200
Sam: 2600
Susan: 1800

Combined: 32,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James: 24600
Sam: 2200
Susan: minus 600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A couple of prior betting things came up for James with the Chargers being his first betting loss and Susan mentioning the Phillies World Series win when James bet on the Rays that year.

James got a good reaction from Alex at chat time when James said about possibly working for a baseball club, “before I knew that Jeopardy! contestant was a palatable career.”

Sam managed to find DD2 & DD3 and it did him nothing but harm although the damage would have been worse if James played them to the good for $20K+

The FJ! clue was one I could handle with no detour to NV like James had. The place has come up enough times over the years:
Spoiler

#7800, aired 2018-07-06 U.S. GEOGRAPHY $400: It isn't just for skiers; Sun Valley in this western state also has some great trails for mountain bikers
#7045, aired 2015-04-10 HERE COMES THE SUN $1000: This winter sports resort area in Central Idaho is found along the Big Wood River
#6639, aired 2013-06-27 ADDEND"UM" $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Idaho.) Near the Sun Valley ski resort, this town of central Idaho is perhaps best known as the last home of Ernest Hemingway
#6518, aired 2013-01-09 U.S. PLACE NAMES $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Idaho.) This Idaho ski resort was developed by the Union Pacific Railroad & named by a press agent who brought Hollywood stars to popularize the area
#6514, aired 2013-01-03 STATE OF THE ART MUSEUM $1600: The Sun Valley Center for the Arts
#6412, aired 2012-07-03 TRANSPORTATION $800: Based on banana-hanging hooks, it was invented in 1936 to transport skiers at Sun Valley, Idaho
#4774, aired 2005-05-12 DIDN'T YOU GET YOUR INVITATION? $2000: July 2004: Herbert Allen's media power pow-wow at this resort
#4348, aired 2003-06-25 THE "SUN"s $800: This Idaho ski resort is located in the Sawtooth Mountains
#4060, aired 2002-04-05 DOWN IN THE VALLEY $400: Ernest Hemingway's grave lies near this Idaho valley, a year-round resort developed by the Union Pacific
#3004, aired 1997-09-25 1966 $300: On the 67th anniversary of his birth, a bronze bust of this author was unveiled near Sun Valley, Idaho
#1242, aired 1990-01-16 U.S. GEOGRAPHY $400: State in which you can find both Sun Valley & Craters of the Moon National Monument
#277, aired 1985-10-01 U.S. STATES $400: Both Sun Valley & the Craters of the Moon are tourist attractions in this state
that while I may not have known the 1985 clue, by 2019 I’m in much better shape for the solve.

Ken Jennings won $2,520,700 for 74 wins. James has 76,501 a pop for his wins making it possible to pass Ken’s regular play total next week.

On the subject of next week, ABC viewers in the west will have the NBA Finals begin on Thursday the 30th.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

theFJguy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:05 am

New record. This is the kind of game in which I really wanted him to find all the DDs to see what kind of bets he would make. Only thing is I wonder if he would have been able to come up with "pruning hooks."
hscer

Post by hscer »

So we were that close to the first 4-figure total from James
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Golf

Post by Golf »

hscer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:54 am So we were that close to the first 4-figure total from James
I beg to differ. I don't think for a second he's going to seriously answer Las Vegas when the clue specifies Idaho. If you ask me, he's circumventing the new shout out rule.

I could be wrong, but that's what immediately came to mind.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Golf wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:58 am
hscer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:54 am So we were that close to the first 4-figure total from James
I beg to differ. I don't think for a second he's going to seriously answer Las Vegas when the clue specifies Idaho. If you ask me, he's circumventing the new shout out rule.

You're probably right actually.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:58 am

Nothing indicated that James was being cutesy or attempting to get around the shout out rule although it is possible that is exactly what he was doing.

When Alex commented on James's response James said something about, "I didn't think it was in Idaho." What was not clear was which place James meant. Did James really think Las Vegas was a viable guess but then noticed "Idaho" in the clue's wording? Or did James think of the correct place, but have doubts that it was in Idaho?

It could be like someone with Glacier National Park doubting it is in Montana.

With the correct response written first and the question mark added compared to the Las Vegas Strip crossed out below I would take that as the order in which James wrote.

James is too good to have somehow made a "bright star" to Vega to Vegas connection as he would have to know "the meadows" translation.

Perhaps James was down to a Dawson Crossin' of right and wrong with both written and had to decide over correct place he was not sure about being in ID over for sure wrong place to go for humor on miss? The only previous miss we have to look at is the Madonna error and that one had no other guess to go along with the shout out.

James has played the other FJ! clues after the rule enforcement straight up making me unsure he was doing any horsing around today. Hard to know what he was thinking of course.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

It seemed to me that James probably knew Sun Valley right away and was setting up a joke.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Le Master wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:44 am
Only thing is I wonder if he would have been able to come up with "pruning hooks."
+1 on this. I'm a mod on a theology forum and a former seminary student and I'd NHO that.

I came up with Hailey (as in Halley's comet). I think the only reason I even know of it is for being Ezra Pound's hometown. Turns out it is in the Sun Valley.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:22 pm It seemed to me that James probably knew Sun Valley right away and was setting up a joke.
Yeah, I didn't even expect people to not think it was a joke, especially considering his shit eating grin during the think music.

mgiusto
Contributor

Post by mgiusto »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:22 pm It seemed to me that James probably knew Sun Valley right away and was setting up a joke.
Pretty certain James was setting up a joke, the clue is "...resort with a bright NAME" Las Vegas Strip is not a bright NAME, it's a bright location, but the NAME has absolutely nothing to do with the clue, so James for sure knew the answer was SUN Valley. No question in my mind.

Now that the show has aired I am sure there will be some interview with James concerning the episode he crossed $2m in winnings and his FJ answer will be explained. It quite possibly was a shout out to his hometown on the day he crossed $2m in winnings and that's all. Which would explain why he hasn't done any cross-out shout outs to this point, he wanted to save it for a special episode.
ACW

Post by ACW »

mgiusto wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:34 pmNow that the show has aired I am sure there will be some interview with James concerning the episode he crossed $2m in winnings and his FJ answer will be explained. It quite possibly was a shout out to his hometown on the day he crossed $2m in winnings and that's all. Which would explain why he hasn't done any cross-out shout outs to this point, he wanted to save it for a special episode.
You're probably right. And also, smart way to get around that stupid no shoutout rule :idea:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The FJ joke/shoutout was clear to me, and on this occasion let him have it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I know Mark showed the times Sun Valley has come up, but it's not a name I recall. My response matched Susan's.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Naturally the sports clue was this lefty's only miss in Lefty.

DJ! board was tough. There's a Stephen in the Bible?!

Idaho + Bright... uhhhhhhhhh....... uh.... Oh! Sun Valley, that's in Idaho, right? After so many clues where I've just stared blankly, this one felt good to get right.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Le Master wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:44 am
theFJguy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:05 am

New record. This is the kind of game in which I really wanted him to find all the DDs to see what kind of bets he would make. Only thing is I wonder if he would have been able to come up with "pruning hooks."
Holy mackerel, not only was it a new record, it is more than I had at the end of the DJ round in my first game, a lock win after which people in the green room were making predictions that kept me busy spitting over my shoulders (but not enough to neutralize the jinx).

Pruning hooks was a really hard DD. "Here's a common Bible quote, now you give me the rarely heard continuation!"
Last edited by gnash on Fri May 24, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

econgator wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:30 pm I know Mark showed the times Sun Valley has come up, but it's not a name I recall. My response matched Susan's.
My wild guess was close-sounding yet clearly wrong. I came up with "Sunnyvale", which turns out to be a place in CA.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

gnash wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:55 pm Pruning hooks was a really hard DD. "Here's a common Bible quote, now you give me the rarely heard continuation!"
Much like how everyone ignores the fourth through ninth words of "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall"?

I confess I missed Pharaoh because I thought they wanted a specific name. At least I remembered the word "pharaoh" when it actually won me something...