Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by morbeedo »

britt408 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:57 pm Denver auditions today got two tests. I also think the first was easier. Pretty sure I passed the first one but the second one was probably a no - I blanked on too many!
I'm really curious to know how much harder this second test is! I know you can't share the questions, but do you think the questions were fair game? Were they all $2,000 level clues?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

They were in Nashville and Denver on May 30th??????
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:28 am
britt408 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:57 pm Denver auditions today got two tests. I also think the first was easier. Pretty sure I passed the first one but the second one was probably a no - I blanked on too many!
I'm really curious to know how much harder this second test is! I know you can't share the questions, but do you think the questions were fair game? Were they all $2,000 level clues?
Because one test is the real test and the other is a sample test so they can decide which questions to use in the future, I would think the 2nd test (the test questions test) would be harder simply because they will be tossing out questions that are too difficult.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

I believe the test was fair. I'm probably exaggerating that I didn't pass, though I think there's definitely a few questions that won't make the cut. The very first question would probably have been $2000 literature, although again I definitely had a chance to come up with it and just couldn't pull it. It set the tone for the early section for many people in my group. One question in particular, though I should have been able to come up with it because I do actually have familiarity with it, in talking to other people was probably not a good question because it is likely regional.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

triviawayne wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:11 am They were in Nashville and Denver on May 30th??????
They have enough people and equipment to run two rooms at once; there's nothing keeping them from putting one room in Denver and one room in Nashville.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:43 am
triviawayne wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:11 am They were in Nashville and Denver on May 30th??????
They have enough people and equipment to run two rooms at once; there's nothing keeping them from putting one room in Denver and one room in Nashville.
of course any show COULD do this...but have we seen it before for any show? Or even Jeopardy?
britt408
Contributor

Post by britt408 »

Yes I think they were still fair game - things I know I should’ve studied and honestly by the time I got to the second half of the second test I was exhausted after being up since 3:30am! 😂 First half of each test were similar to me - it was the second half that held me up.
molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

I took the test on Thursday morning in Denver and my husband took it Friday and from comparing notes (talking only to each other after we'd both already auditioned! just to be clear), the first test we took was the same and the second one was different--my group found both our tests equally difficult, his found their second test much easier. I think I got 45ish right on both, based on what I was certain of, what I remember guessing, and which guesses turned out right/wrong when I checked later.
Be that as it may, Alex, those people have never been in my kitchen.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

Any word on Milwaukee or Chicago audition dates yet?
LanceJ
Contributor

Post by LanceJ »

to contribute (very late) to this thread,

LA - 46-47ish correct online, got the invite for may 10, the room was overwhelmingly male. 20:3 was the ratio by my count. Took two tests.
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

nklotz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:09 pm Any word on Milwaukee or Chicago audition dates yet?
I have yet to hear about the Chicago audition, fwiw.
choplakecity
Contributor

Post by choplakecity »

I'm not entirely sure about the test being $2000 clues... There were some absolute gimmes and some Pavlovs and some that viewership and archive reading helped with. It's entirely possible that the stars aligned and everything was relatively in my wheelhouse, but who knows?

I was surprised with the bevy of questions on the second test that were current in nature; at least two clues asked about events in the news from the last two weeks! I was also surprised to see a word for word clue from the test be on the show the exact same night (at least I know I got THAT one right ;) ).

Overall an incredible experience and an excellent affirmation of trivia knowledge and the ability to hang with Jeopardy! types.
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

I am still waiting to hear on Columbus as a audition invite site, but as someone in the 1 year game show blackout until September, I'm in no hurry for it to happen.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

In this special resurrection of "The Final Wager" in which Keith starts by discussing the correctness of James's FJ wager on Monday's episode, special guest Austin Rogers announces that "in the coming weeks," on his Twitter and Instagram, he'll be announcing a J! "casting call" to be held at one of his trivia nights in NYC. The mention of it starts at approximately the 14:00 mark.

Another of the recent J! All-Stars, Monica Thieu, appears in the video as well.

Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 pm In this special resurrection of "The Final Wager" in which Keith starts by discussing the correctness of James's FJ wager on Monday's episode, special guest Austin Rogers announces that "in the coming weeks," on his Twitter and Instagram, he'll be announcing a J! "casting call" to be held at one of his trivia nights in NYC. The mention of it starts at approximately the 14:00 mark.
Oh!!! So first Vegas and now NYC for unlucky online test takers!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:05 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 pm In this special resurrection of "The Final Wager" in which Keith starts by discussing the correctness of James's FJ wager on Monday's episode, special guest Austin Rogers announces that "in the coming weeks," on his Twitter and Instagram, he'll be announcing a J! "casting call" to be held at one of his trivia nights in NYC. The mention of it starts at approximately the 14:00 mark.
I CAN MAKE IT TO NYC!!!
dts

Post by dts »

Has J! done this for years or is this relatively new? I have nothing against Trivia Nationals or Austin's trivia night but I don't quite understand why J! would go out of their way to find MORE people to audition when they already have a lottery in place to audition through the normal process. Is this just for community outreach, excitement/hype, fun?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

dts wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:24 pm
Has J! done this for years or is this relatively new? I have nothing against Trivia Nationals or Austin's trivia night but I don't quite understand why J! would go out of their way to find MORE people to audition when they already have a lottery in place to audition through the normal process. Is this just for community outreach, excitement/hype, fun?
Honestly? I think they're doing everything they possibly can to get me on the show for S36!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Travelling from Culver City to Las Vegas isn't exactly going out of their way; and they'll have many trivia-savvy people there and many of the ones who haven't already been on J! have been on other game shows so they've proven that they're TV-ready. Plus, Maggie will be speaking on a panel at Trivia Nationals. (J! held an open audition at the very first TCONA in Las Vegas in 2011, although I think only one person made it onto the show from that audition.)

And as for the Austin pub quiz audition in NYC, it did seem difficult to imagine TPTB skipping NYC for an entire year of auditions.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dts

Post by dts »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:23 pm
Travelling from Culver City to Las Vegas isn't exactly going out of their way; and they'll have many trivia-savvy people there and many of the ones who haven't already been on J! have been on other game shows so they've proven that they're TV-ready. Plus, Maggie will be speaking on a panel at Trivia Nationals. (J! held an open audition at the very first TCONA in Las Vegas in 2011, although I think only one person made it onto the show from that audition.)

And as for the Austin pub quiz audition in NYC, it did seem difficult to imagine TPTB skipping NYC for an entire year of auditions.
I didn't mean geographically out of their way. Just that they're scheduling one-off events to add to a candidate pool that already has an excess of qualified candidates. It's like promoting a product that is already sold out. Presumably, those folks who would be interested would have taken the online test like everyone else. I didn't know if this was a tradition or a new thing. I forgot about Maggie being there already which makes a difference.