J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: J! in the Media

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:38 am
alietr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:43 am Well, this is certainly an interesting projection of 98 more wins:

How many more Jeopardy! games will James Holzhauer likely win? Professors crunch numbers
At the current rate, he's more than halfway to dethroning Brad Rutter and his lifetime J! earnings record. He'll likely do that BEFORE he breaks KJ's 74-game streak.
which is amazing...but he would have to get that far.

If he finishes out the season still the champ, that would put him around 60 wins, wouldn't it?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:50 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:38 am
alietr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:43 am Well, this is certainly an interesting projection of 98 more wins:

How many more Jeopardy! games will James Holzhauer likely win? Professors crunch numbers
At the current rate, he's more than halfway to dethroning Brad Rutter and his lifetime J! earnings record. He'll likely do that BEFORE he breaks KJ's 74-game streak.
which is amazing...but he would have to get that far.

If he finishes out the season still the champ, that would put him around 60 wins, wouldn't it?
If James finishes the season still the champ that would put him at exactly 62 wins. 8 weeks left in the season is 40 games. 10 off for the teens leaves 30. 30+32 wins after Friday's 5/31 game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

The article is updated with today's result, so don't click if you don't wish to know what happened!!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

EDITED BY MOD: The article is updated with today's (6/3) result, so don't click if you don't wish to know what happened!!
got to love syracuse math...they might be losing prospective students with that debacle
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:56 am Norman Chad's always been one of my favorites, and this is his second Holzhauer column:

Quit rooting against James Holzhauer’s must-watch ‘Jeopardy!’ run. Appreciate greatness.
of course he has been a favourite of yours...he is from maryland
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

Discussion of betting strategy in JH’s own words, in line with what many posters here have stated:

https://www.actionnetwork.com/entertain ... d-run-2019
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

GaryG wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:08 pm Discussion of betting strategy in JH’s own words, in line with what many posters here have stated:

https://www.actionnetwork.com/entertain ... d-run-2019
Unfortunately with an idiotic headline ("controversial").
Last edited by gnash on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gnash wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:52 pm Unfortunately with an idiotic headline ("controversial") and an incorrect fact ("the actual check he received" - he won't receive it for another 2 months or so).
It said just above that they gave him the check immediately.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

econgator wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:11 pm
gnash wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:52 pm Unfortunately with an idiotic headline ("controversial") and an incorrect fact ("the actual check he received" - he won't receive it for another 2 months or so).
It said just above that they gave him the check immediately.
That's true, though it's not a quote and I'm not convinced it isn't misinterpreted. Checks for photo-ops aren't always real. In any case, I edited my post in light of this.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

holzhauer is back to posting on 2+2 poker forums...he goes by the name of crockpot

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/159/ ... ex414.html
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 am They have been looking for the leaker ...

‘Jeopardy!’ producer: ‘Appropriate’ action planned in leak of James Holzhauer’s loss
Apparently I have used my 1 free view for my lifetime ...
davey

Post by davey »

Here's a non-firewalled version of the story-
https://pressfrom.info/us/news/entertai ... -loss.html
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 am They have been looking for the leaker ...

‘Jeopardy!’ producer: ‘Appropriate’ action planned in leak of James Holzhauer’s loss
why are they only doing that with episode? many of his episodes had been posted over night on daily motion before
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:26 pm

why are they only doing that with episode? many of his episodes had been posted over night on daily motion before
Not the same thing. Those were done by viewers ripping broadcasts of the show, whereas the footage of James's loss was uploaded before being broadcast anywhere. (Never mind that there's a virtually unlimited field of potential perpetrators of the former, whereas the latter could only conceivably have been done by an employee of a station that J! is syndicated to.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:25 pmthe latter could only conceivably have been done by an employee of a station that J! is syndicated to.
My understanding is that that is not the case. I do not know the particulars of how shows are intercepted, but it does not require being an insider.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Here's OQ's radio appearance. Fine job, Andy!

https://omny.fm/shows/kgo-810/june-4-20 ... ardy-super
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:25 pm
Not the same thing. Those were done by viewers ripping broadcasts of the show, whereas the footage of James's loss was uploaded before being broadcast anywhere. (Never mind that there's a virtually unlimited field of potential perpetrators of the former, whereas the latter could only conceivably have been done by an employee of a station that J! is syndicated to.)
Spoiler
Jeopardy! along with many other TV shows get released online before being broadcast. Scene groups have been doing this for many, many years. BTN and TrollHD are usually the two that get Jeopardy! out. I believe the video files are sent to networks the business night before the episode airs, so Monday's Jeopardy! episode is often available the Friday before and almost always by Sunday. It's been pretty routine of me to watch Monday's episode while eating breakfast Saturday mornings. And I luckily saw Emma's win before that clip was posted and before anyone said anything online. It was actually posted a little later than average last weekend, Sunday morning. This is an example of what the raw file looks like when you start it.

You are right in that an employee of a station was responsible. But it's far bigger than one man leaking it to spoil James's loss. It was simply the usual, and someone like me posted the clip online. Hell, I could have uploaded it hours before that person did.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Deadspin uses an outdated graphic of the J! board for some reason.

https://deadspin.com/james-holzhauer-wa ... 1835233700

ETA: They've been doing that for a while, wtf?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

From the underlining I'd say that looks like it's from somebody's PowerPoint template.