Monday, June 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Monday, June 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by StevenH »

I read The Ringer and 538 every day, and both have already spoiled James's loss. I don't particularly care and was spoiled last night from reading this board, but really, those articles could have waited until tomorrow or even later in the week.

Anyway, big congrats to James on the run! I can understand both the love and loathing (but only from those who know him from the quizzing community in the latter case) towards him, but TPTB still made a good choice by letting him on. Very few people can reasonably have James's knowledge base, but I always like seeing contestants who at least understand strategy. Which brings me to...

Congrats to Emma for being a giant killer! I hope that she'll join James in the next ToC.

FJ was an instant get for me, and I really liked the clue.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

choplakecity wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:20 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:12 pm
choplakecity wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:01 pm As someone in the contestant pool, I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

As a fan, sad to see him go. What a run.
What is ambivalence? :)
I never was totally altruistic...
that word i do know
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Ken lost on a corporate question. Parlayed that into paid advertisements for both FedEx and H&R block.

James lost on a Shakespeare question. He’s been dead for 400 years.

Willy_Wonka_you_get_nothing_sir.gif
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I LOL'd at that, David, but then realized it's not true. Unlike Ken, James lost prior to Final.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Has anyone figured out what James said to Jay during the Final reveals?
roey
Grandpa

Post by roey »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:54 pm Ken lost on a corporate question. Parlayed that into paid advertisements for both FedEx and H&R block.

James lost on a Shakespeare question. He’s been dead for 400 years.

Willy_Wonka_you_get_nothing_sir.gif
Maybe if he's lucky, some local Shakespeare performing company will give him free tickets to their shows!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:04 pm I LOL'd at that, David, but then realized it's not true. Unlike Ken, James lost prior to Final.
And as James has been saying in interviews for weeks, he's already had a number of (to him) intriguing opportunities flooding his inbox.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

(Haven't actually watched the game yet, but got spoiled on Saturday via Reddit and really wanted to share my thoughts. Not a big deal I guess, seeing as how I'd have been spoiled by the bleeping national media anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). Long live King James! As incredible as he was, I'm looking forward to a return to normalcy for a little while, and for his return in ToC play.

Considering what was feasibly at stake today, this has to be the biggest upset in J! history. Tough day for those on the ToC bubble as well, as the field just opened right back up with a lot of time to fill the four remaining auto-qualifier slots.

Nice to see that all three players posted competitive Coryats, and that Emma didn't fall backward into the victory, a la Zerg. Reading articles about how she prepared and how much of a fan of the show she is, I bet she's not content with just the one win. I'm really pulling for her to win a few more and maybe join James in ToC play as well. ETA: Just re-read MB's opening post - had no idea she was a Boardie!! Congrats if you're reading this, and here's hoping for some firsthand comments on the experience soon!

Here's an article sharing that she's friends with former College champ and ToC semifinalist Terry O'Shea (roughly halfway down the page). Got a good laugh at "it's unclear if she did as well" :lol: )

What a time to be a J! fan!!
Last edited by threearruda on Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:45 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:04 pm I LOL'd at that, David, but then realized it's not true. Unlike Ken, James lost prior to Final.
And as James has been saying in interviews for weeks, he's already had a number of (to him) intriguing opportunities flooding his inbox.
i wonder if he will turn tout (scamdicapper) and sell his picks of the day since he has made a name for himself....plenty of sheep out there that will flock his way so he can give them crappy picks like the rest of the touts out there
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:37 am While many of us are mourning today's regicide, let's give major props to the new reigning champion Emma. She played significantly better than Nancy Zerg did in Ken's game 75.
Ken lost to Nancy. Emma beat James.

Big difference.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What an incredible run and what an incredible game today. There was no huge error of the kind that many of us had been saying would lead to James's downfall, like betting too much on a daily double and missing. James was simply outplayed.

I will be eager to see whether James's style of play becomes a regular thing or whether it was just a flash in the pan. I guess we will see what the next few weeks and months of contestants will bring

James must be relieved in one sense: Losing means that he will get paid now instead of having to wait longer until a longer run ends.

I wonder what the handicapping will be for the TOC. I have to believe that the the five-time champs who will be competing there will be better prepared than the regular contestants that James has been up against for the past 32 games.

Last edited by floridagator on Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 pmfive-time tramps
Damn you autocorrect?
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Was spoiled, came to watch anyway because maybe the spoiler was a lie. That was a fun game to watch!

I WTF'd the wagering initially too, but after doing a bit of reading and running the numbers, James did what he had to do to give himself the best chance of survival. (I'm honestly more confused by Jay's bet.) I've been in James's shoes in FJ!. Those are the worst shoes.

And yes, I've already heard babbling about how he threw the game. My eyes just rolled boxcars.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Interview with Emma in the Chicago Tribune:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertai ... story.html

Some notes from the article:
  • Boettcher said she taped Monday’s episode in March, and she didn’t know that Holzhauer was a 32-day champion until that information was revealed as contestants gathered before taping got underway
  • English major at Princeton; wrote her undergrad thesis on Shakespeare's plays
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 pm
I wonder what the handicapping will be for the TOC. I have to believe that the the five-time champs who will be competing there will be better prepared then the regular contestants that James has been up against for the past 32 games.
James will be a prohibitive favorite, of course. His opponents will be prepared for his style of play, but it'lll be harder to overcome his formidable knowledge base that contributed to his record Coryat average that was north of $30,500 and going 32 of 33 on FJ's. He'll also have the luxury of being able to work full-time on preparing for the TOC, as he did for his regular run. I think this is the year a 10+ game winner finally wins a TOC.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:54 pm
i wonder if he will turn tout (scamdicapper) and sell his picks of the day since he has made a name for himself....plenty of sheep out there that will flock his way so he can give them crappy picks like the rest of the touts out there
Doesn’t seem like a business model that would lead to many repeat customers.
Golf

Post by Golf »

What a well played game by all three.

Emma did what she should on the early DD in DJ, it was a 2nd row clue which should always be an auto wager everything almost regardless of circumstance. Of course against James it's also an automatic. But, on the 2nd DD, she went small. Now it was a bottom row clue, but she's up against a monster.

Recently Nate got roasted, and rightfully so, for not wagering near enough to ensure the lead going into FJ. Emma was in the almost exact same position. Of course she won't get the same comments as Nate because the game played out differently. Even after that DD, James was probably still the mathematical favorite.
roey
Grandpa

Post by roey »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 pm I will be eager to see whether James's style of play becomes a regular thing or whether it was just a flash in the pan. I guess we will see what the next few weeks and months of contestants will bring
I'm not sure if you'll be able to tell until next season. Most of the remaining episodes were taped before James's run started so most contestants after this week were likely in the dark about his approach to the game. But I'm also curious about how many people try to repeat his strategy (and how many succeed)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

GaryG wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:58 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:54 pm
Doesn’t seem like a business model that would lead to many repeat customers.

tell that to brandon lang (dude who the movie "2 for the money" is based on)...dude is still raking in the bucks because there are a bunch of morons out there that continue to buy his picks...though there are those who buy them to fade him
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

ParrotRob wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:39 am What's hilarious is watching all the Twittiots saying he made the wrong FJ wager and that's why he, uh, finished where he did.
tons of morons out there that have no clue about wagering...heck...plenty of jeopardy contestants don't have a clue and go with dumb wagering as we have seen on a regular basis through the show's history....his understanding and utilization of wagering strategy is the only thing i actually liked about this dude...so now he is dethroned....hope we can get back to 1 and doners again for a while