Monday, June 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, June 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash »

Golf wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:56 pm
polaris wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:17 pm Anyways, I get that in theory, he made the right wager, and also in practice it was the right wager, but I have a question for the vikings: could a wager of $11,399 (to stay above Jay's DJ score) or even $7,799 (to stay above Jay's score if he wagers at most $4,600 which is the right move for him) be justified? I just hate the thought of allowing the leader to win with a $0 wager when I could have stopped it (I would hate to find myself between 2/3 and 3/4 of the leaders total), I respect James for having the balls to hold himself to $1,399; I don't know if I could do it.
My first thought was no way could it be justified. But then again, with his 97% get rate on FJ combined with the fact that third should (in theory, but few contestants understand this) not wager everything, it probably should be at least considered. Another reason would be this, James will always wager optimally, which means Emma can wager $0 and win regardless.

I hate second level thinking on Jeopardy because contestants are typically so sub-optimal when it comes to wagering. It is just useless. But in this case.....

This is why the best poker players always balance their ranges, if you always bet in the same manner, even if it's optimal, you can be exploited. James could have easily been exploited in FJ.
There's no sound theory saying that the third should not wager everything. In fact, Jay should have wagered either everything or nothing.

It would be pretty crazy for Emma to wager nothing, and she gave no impression that she was timid or unwilling to control her destiny. Also, she's a librarian and a student of Jeopardy!, and the category is about Shakespeare... Hello!

It may still be optimal for James to bet big if he believes 97% is his long-run FJ average. But I would guess it's lower. If it's more like 85%, he for sure needs to follow standard betting strategy, and his bet was the maximum recommended.
Prizes
Just Started Her First Lap in the Jeopardy! Pool!

Post by Prizes »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:26 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:07 pm Has anyone figured out what James said to Jay during the Final reveals?
Any lip readers want to give it a shot?
"I wish you good luck!"
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

So I guess I was wrong in that "breach of confidentiality" thread. I actually wasn't spoiled until this afternoon, on Facebook. Two compensations: I wasn't going to watch the game anyway, and it gives me an excuse to unfollow the particular moron. With KJ, somewhere around #13 was the last game I watched with any suspense.

I guess it was "Shakespeare in Love" that made this titbit* seem accessible enough for FJ.

* I found the British preference more suitable given the subject, but "tidbit" is not actually a lame euphemism, as this informative article explains.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 pmJames must be relieved in one sense: Losing means that he will get paid now instead of having to wait longer until a longer run ends.
Do we know that this is true -- that if his run had been longer, his winnings would have been withheld until he lost?

I thought that when Ken's run spanned seasons, there was some minor news item when he got partial winnings during the summer hiatus.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

What was the ribbon James was wearing? It wasn't explained and I couldn't tell if it was black. Purple is the color for pancreatic cancer. A poster on one of the news articles said they were at this taping, which was the first after Alex announced his diagnosis and thought that the news threw James off his game.
It will be interesting to see how players who have watched James' run play the game going forward. Great run James and good luck Emma!
Last edited by Danmel on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I always record "Jeopardy" to watch right before I go to bed or first thing when I wake up in the morning. This evening, I was watching the NCAA Baseball Tournament on ESPNU when an item scrolled across the ticker that "James Holzhauer's streak had ended", spoiling the episode for me before I could watch it. I was really surprised ESPN would run an item like that on their sports ticker.

Then, I decided to go ahead and watch the episode. Emma played a great game. We'll see James again in the next TOC and, no doubt, in every special tournament going forward.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

SBurrus wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:20 pm I was really surprised ESPN would run an item like that on their sports ticker.
I'm not. He's been in multiple segments on High Noon, Highly Questionable, and PTI.
Golf

Post by Golf »

gnash wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:12 pm There's no sound theory saying that the third should not wager everything.
Huh?

His only chance to win is to hope both competitors miss and 2nd wagers poorly. It doesn't matter whether he answers correctly or not so long as he doesn't wager more than $4600. Which he did.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Congrats to all three contestants tonight on a terrific match, and to James for his incredible run and Emma for getting it done!
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I saw that this thread was already at 3 pages before it even aired in my market, so I figured something big had to happen. The tiny wager was a shocker.

Ran I Am Not a Cook and Idiom, all but Hot Glue in 3-4, but 0/5 in the Capital A and TV category. NHO "The Crown".

I actually had a Jimmy Dean breakfast bowl for breakfast.

Someone wanna break down that "tax on cigarettes" clue for $400? Given that a top box was literally the only TS in the entire game, I think the writers had a misfire there. I had no idea how to attack it.

No guess on FJ! Don't recognize the correct response at all.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Strange bet by James. Through the 32 game run he leaves $49,978 on the table going into a locked FJ.
This game he decides to secure second place for the extra $1,000 more than 3rd place?

WOW! Nothing like going down without a fight!
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

MFalk wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:18 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 pmJames must be relieved in one sense: Losing means that he will get paid now instead of having to wait longer until a longer run ends.
Do we know that this is true -- that if his run had been longer, his winnings would have been withheld until he lost?

I thought that when Ken's run spanned seasons, there was some minor news item when he got partial winnings during the summer hiatus.
From what I recall at my only live audition in the online era, they now pay airfare and lodging for anyone who gets over 10 wins as a result of Ken suggesting he wouldn't be able to keep coming out without getting his winnings after his streak started lengthening.

Pretty sure that's what they told us.
Golf

Post by Golf »

PeteMoss wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 pm Strange bet by James. Through the 32 game run he leaves $49,978 on the table going into a locked FJ.
This game he decides to secure second place for the extra $1,000 more than 3rd place?

I am speechless.

Unless I can't see the sarcasm sign.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

DavidRosen wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:32 pm BTW, am I the only one who thought that both rounds tonight were on the easy side? That minimized James' knowledge advantage, making an upset more likely.
Yeah, I thought these boards were pretty player-friendly. Only missed a few clues and even got the TS. And hey, David, I was in your audition in July 2017*

Spoiled 10 times over and my DVR didn't record (my fault - I turn off wi-fi at night and forget to turn it on some mornings) but I did find a way to watch and wow, that was so thrilling. I teared up when Emma won, maybe because Alex got weepy, too. Who knows.

My favorite moment was when the audience cheered for Emma's TDD. That must have given her a boost. That, and well, getting it right :)

I don't care much about records, but I think it's just that James was denied at least one little piece of glory. The gods are fickle!

*After a year, I got tired of waiting so I did another game show and of course The Call came 2 weeks after taping so I was ineligible. At the risk of repeating myself, THE GODS ARE FICKLE!
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Golf wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:54 pm
PeteMoss wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 pm Strange bet by James. Through the 32 game run he leaves $49,978 on the table going into a locked FJ.

I am speechless.

There is no sarcasm. I am serious.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

PeteMoss wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:07 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:54 pm

I am speechless.

There is no sarcasm. I am serious.
*Sigh* Even -I- can see James did the right play here and I stay far away from wagering debates.

So just do this on your own with pencil and paper:
Take the game's wagers and your ideal wagers. Who wins? Now turn the triple get into a triple stumper. Who wins this time?

Sometimes the best play is a bunt.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Jeopardy actually put the entire episode on Youtube.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

As Chad Mosher pointed out, that's a first!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Golf wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:05 pm
Recently Nate got roasted, and rightfully so, for not wagering near enough to ensure the lead going into FJ. Emma was in the almost exact same position. Of course she won't get the same comments as Nate because the game played out differently. Even after that DD, James was probably still the mathematical favorite.
Thank you Golf, for making my post. IMHO Nate played perfectly, and Emma deployed the same multi-lane approach to victory. Unexpectedly, the spoiler in the middle spoiled James more than he did Emma.

I was semi-spoiled from the other thread here (thanks OQ for stopping it but it's my own damn fault). It didn't bother me and actually made me look forward to an episode for the first time in months. No hate on James, but the other two dimensions on Jeopardy are an acquired taste.

I should make a separate post but once again want to give Mark Barrett his props for his recaps of the games here. Like a good sports reporter, it's nice to hear the highlights and lowlights after watching the event.

Not that anybody cares, but this FJ was almost a NHO for me. Hope Emma goes a long way, but not against any boardies!
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:38 pm
Someone wanna break down that "tax on cigarettes" clue for $400? Given that a top box was literally the only TS in the entire game, I think the writers had a misfire there. I had no idea how to attack it.
I didn't take a chance on it either. There was nothing pinning it to cigarette tax unless you happen to know that Iowa did it in that particular year. I would have liked the clue a lot better if it had stated that it was an excise tax so that at least one could eliminate sales and income taxes. And the year fell during prohibition so it couldn't have been an alcohol excise tax.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.