James wouldn't have lost pre-James

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: James wouldn't have lost pre-James

Post by floridagator »

Austin, since you know so much, can you tell me how the 2000-01 "Fugitive" revival was supposed to end? Last thing we saw, Lt. Girard was unconscious in his car, and an unsub pulled the trigger on either Dr. Kimble or the one-armed man. Then the screen went to black and the series was cancelled.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:54 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:45 pm
Spoiler
Kristen shot J.R..
Spoiler
Oswald shot JFK
Spoiler
Stanley Kubrick shot the moon landing.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Spoiler
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:25 am
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:17 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am Emma came in cold. She made that bet without having seen James play once.
Sure. But she certainly is capable of dividing $2 million+/30+games
Still, though. Emma has literally studied the game more than maybe three or four people here on JBoard. She knew what she was doing, James or no James.
This. The OP is absurd.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Spoiler
Snape killed Dumbledore
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 am Does anyone know the timing of calls vs. taping? Emma came in cold knowing nothing about James and his run, but what did the powers know? Emma got "The Call" prior to any of James's games being taped? Or did the CCs have an idea of just what James was capable of doing and there was the possibility for them to adjust their contestant selections?
I don't know, but can make educated guesses. It was James's 7th week/taping day, so 4th taping week. Unless there were off-weeks in the schedule, Emma probably got the call before James started taping. Even if there was one off-week, she maybe could have gotten the call after James had played at most 7 games. As good as he already proved to be, would this be the point they reach for secret weapons to deploy 25-30 games ahead? And how would they know who the secret weapons are?

Also, Emma said in an interview that she had auditioned 4 times. That means she was in the pool for like 6 years before getting the call. If they were aware of her strengths, why did they not call her before? They save top players for clashes of titans? There's no explanation that doesn't sound like a huge stretch.
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

gnash wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:04 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:25 am
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:17 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am Emma came in cold. She made that bet without having seen James play once.
Sure. But she certainly is capable of dividing $2 million+/30+games
Still, though. Emma has literally studied the game more than maybe three or four people here on JBoard. She knew what she was doing, James or no James.
This. The OP is absurd.
It would have been extremely rare in the pre-James era for a contestant to bet all of that. She needed 5000 to tie, but in the end she needed every bit of that 7600 to win. Whether she knew anything at all about James prior to recording is irrelevant, and I think she's not the first to figure out what she needed to do quickly.

I still contend that if James is an ordinary $25K champ instead of more than three times that she bets $5K or less and almost certainly doesn't win. I don't know if you think I'm trying to minimize her win or something, but I'm merely stating that it seems like her aggressive betting is as large a part of her win as her knowledge and it stands to reason that she doesn't bet like that if she's not facing James.

It's of course possible that a longtime devotee and skilled player like Emma had that strategy on her own, but both Alex and I seemed to think otherwise.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Spoiler
Kristen shot J.R..
Spoiler
the first time
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

How do we know she didn't come to the studio the week before to watch a taping?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

gnash wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 am Does anyone know the timing of calls vs. taping? Emma came in cold knowing nothing about James and his run, but what did the powers know? Emma got "The Call" prior to any of James's games being taped? Or did the CCs have an idea of just what James was capable of doing and there was the possibility for them to adjust their contestant selections?
I don't know, but can make educated guesses. It was James's 7th week/taping day, so 4th taping week. Unless there were off-weeks in the schedule, Emma probably got the call before James started taping. Even if there was one off-week, she maybe could have gotten the call after James had played at most 7 games. As good as he already proved to be, would this be the point they reach for secret weapons to deploy 25-30 games ahead? And how would they know who the secret weapons are?

Also, Emma said in an interview that she had auditioned 4 times. That means she was in the pool for like 6 years before getting the call. If they were aware of her strengths, why did they not call her before? They save top players for clashes of titans? There's no explanation that doesn't sound like a huge stretch.
Thanks for the response. I was just curious trying to figure out the timing. For James getting the call it took more than one try and with the ToC field filling up well ahead of November the powers needed to slow down the qualification pace. James certainly did the trick though is it enough?

The powers only needed to see 4 games for James hitting $110,000 and change so that would be enough for them to go all Joker, "Oh, we got a live one here!"

You are probably right that this week's pool of players were already set in motion before James played a game.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:57 pm
How do we know she didn't come to the studio the week before to watch a taping?
Official Jeopardy! and press interviews?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:50 am
JayK33 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:39 am Shouldn't this thread be considered a spoiler since the mentioned game happened not long ago?
The game made the cover of major newspapers. It was on ESPN’s Bottom Line scroll. It was the highest rated episode in ten years.

Also Jon kills Dany.
who are they?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Caboom wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:15 am
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:50 am
Spoiler
Also Jon kills Dany.
Wow, what an asshole. I hope you're happy you ruined the ending for me. But then knowing how arrogant and condescending you regularly are, I'm 100 % sure you couldn't care less.
i see now it is that lame show game of thrones....that show ended the other week and you had been able to avoid spoilers until now?
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

gnash wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:18 pm Also, Emma said in an interview that she had auditioned 4 times. That means she was in the pool for like 6 years before getting the call. If they were aware of her strengths, why did they not call her before? They save top players for clashes of titans? There's no explanation that doesn't sound like a huge stretch.
Plenty of future champs need multiple auditions to get on the show. Often, it's just a "too many teachers from Texas this year" situation, or being so nervous that you're having trouble speaking up, and freezing in the mock game. And presumably, Emma's a much stronger player in every way at 27 than she was when she first auditioned as a teenager (her first audition was in high school, according to press).

My guess is that the contestant coordinators keep notes about auditionees with potential who aren't quite ready for prime time yet, and sometimes wait out promising candidates with the hope that they'll come back in a couple years with some extra polish and poise.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:33 pmMy guess is that the contestant coordinators keep notes about auditionees with potential who aren't quite ready for prime time yet, and sometimes wait out promising candidates with the hope that they'll come back in a couple years with some extra polish and poise.
Notes? Maggie remembers EVERYTHING and EVERYONE.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

These spoilers are getting out of hand. Next thing you know you're going to tell me something really crazy, like
Spoiler
Vader is Luke's father
or
Spoiler
the professor can do all kinds of science-y stuff on that island, but he can't fix a hole in the boat.
--Peter
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Off thread topic, but on the subject of spoilers--my husband recently scored some standardized math tests, and in the space where students are supposed to "show their work," one kid wrote out a bunch of spoilers for Avengers: Endgame. We're not really into the superhero stuff, but what a way to stick it to the man!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Spoiler
Kristen shot J.R..
Spoiler
Oswald shot JFK
Spoiler
I shot the sheriff.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

harrumph wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:51 pm
Spoiler
Kristen shot J.R..
Spoiler
Oswald shot JFK
Spoiler
I shot the sheriff.
Spoiler
But you did not shoot the deputy.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

It's my fault, really. I should have fully expected untagged spoilers from a completely unrelated topic that only happened a few weeks ago. Silly me, thinking trolling is limited to Facebook and Twitter.