Wednesday, June 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE NATO PHONETIC ALPHABET

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This discovery of November 8, 1895 by a German physicist represents a letter in the NATO phonetic alphabet

Emma Boeetcher: 24400+1201=25601 (3X = $97,002)
Jonathan Greenstein: minus 2600
Erin Garratt: 12800-12800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
x-ray (Erin – uranium)

Daily Doubles
Erin: 2000-2000
Jonathan: 1000+2000
Emma: 19800+3000

Coryats
Emma: 22200
Jonathan: minus 3400
Erin: 14800

Combined: 33,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emma: 7800
Jonathan: 1000
Erin: 1200

Edited to correct numbers.
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another opening category run for Emma though a different pattern with 6-8-10-4-2. After the first segment Emma led 7200 to minus 600 to minus 800 yet by the end of the round Emma only had 7800.

Jonathan got the laugh of the game with his cat story ending with his cat having "purr" & "hiss" on his front paws instead of "love" & "hate."

Emma found DD3 and did 19800+3000 with Erin at 10800. That had Emma in a runaway position although there were 8 clues (7 ended up playing) worth $4000 remaining. It was scoreboard ping-pong to see if Erin could prevent the lock and the 24000 to 12000 had a tiebreaker clue possibility on tap.

The FJ! category had me run all 26 to make sure I knew them all. While doing that I tried looking for connections that would make a clue such as tango with foxtrot or charlie & victor. I also told myself during the break to check first five and last five if it was a wide open search.

When the clue appeared I ignored my advice and had to use more seconds than I should have needed to lock in the solve.

It's exciting to see Emma get the wins while along the way the outcome is in doubt to the end.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

theFJguy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE NATO PHONETIC ALPHABET
...welp, there goes that set of ToC study flashcards. :)

(annoying because I know 'em cold, so they were the occasional EASY flashcards in the deck)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:17 am The FJ! category had me run all 26 to make sure I knew them all. While doing that I tried looking for connections that would make a clue such as tango with foxtrot or charlie & victor. I also told myself during the break to check first five and last five if it was a wide open search.
romeo, juliet

quebec, lima, india
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I was rooting for Erin to beat Emma until she got FJ! wrong (yes I'm still pretty upset that James lost -- I was expecting he would still be going by now because I remember Alex saying on CBS Sunday Morning that some of the episodes featuring James were taped before his cancer diagnosis and some were taped after, and this weeks episodes were taped after his diagnosis). But hopefully the "giant killer" loses tomorrow before she can be guaranteed a spot in the ToC because I would hate to see James lose again if he and Emma rematch in the ToC, especially if it's a quarterfinal match.

I even anticipated the ToC to be pushed back to Spring 2020 (unless there are a few more 5-game champs the rest of Season 35 and the first month of Season 36) since we had the four-game "curse" from October 2018 until Steven Grade won his fifth game just before Holzhauer's run began.
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:22 pmhopefully the "giant killer" loses tomorrow before she can be guaranteed a spot in the ToC because I would hate to see James lose again if he and Emma rematch in the ToC, especially if it's a quarterfinal match.
A lot of levels of speculative prediction going on there.
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:22 pm I was rooting for Erin to beat Emma until she got FJ! wrong (yes I'm still pretty upset that James lost -- I was expecting he would still be going by now because I remember Alex saying on CBS Sunday Morning that some of the episodes featuring James were taped before his cancer diagnosis and some were taped after, and this weeks episodes were taped after his diagnosis). But hopefully the "giant killer" loses tomorrow before she can be guaranteed a spot in the ToC because I would hate to see James lose again if he and Emma rematch in the ToC, especially if it's a quarterfinal match.
I'm neutral here, but if I'm a James fan, I would want a rematch with Emma. Good competition is always healthy and fun for any event. If Emma scares you, then maybe its time to admit she's every bit as good as James or James isn't as infallible as people like to declare.

Also TPTB have historically been very good about setting up the TOCs quarters and semis to ensure the cream of the crop stay away from each other until a potential match up in the finals. If hypothetically Emma were to qualify she certainly has the makings of being one of the top "seeds", so to speak, and I doubt they would pair her with James right out of the gate.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

If anything I'd like to see the producers do a special three-week tournament in which James is automatically in the finals and Ken and Brad receive byes to the semifinals. I'll explain more in another thread.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I haven’t watched the show, but it seems to me that the numbers given up thread don’t add up. If Jonathan earned $2000 on his only DD, he earned at least as much as the clue is worth at face value, so his pre-FJ score should be at least as high as his Coryat. However, the recap shows him as having a score of -2600, lower than his listed Coryat of -1800.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

countyguy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:18 pm I haven’t watched the show, but it seems to me that the numbers given up thread don’t add up. If Jonathan earned $2000 on his only DD, he earned at least as much as the clue is worth at face value, so his pre-FJ score should be at least as high as his Coryat. However, the recap shows him as having a score of -2600, lower than his listed Coryat of -1800.
All fixed, thank you so much. I did the 800 difference the wrong way. Usually I check my work to compare with TJF and failed to do it today. I should know better by now to get that second opinion.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

That was a fun Final. I know the alphabet but it took awhile to get to X, not sure I'd have had time to write it down if I were on TV.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

$3,000 is virtually never a good DD wager.

I cut Emma some slack the first time she did it, as I know very well how much the excitement of the situation she was in can mess with your brain. But the second offense deserves a citation. Incidentally, my rule of thumb of "at least 5,000" is holding up pretty well, even though I've began to consider it too conservative.

Emma's other weakness is inability to maintain her buzzer dominance. I can very much empathize with that. It's even more frustrating when the mojo leaves you in DJ.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:17 am Another opening category run for Erin
I think you have your left and right mixed up. :P
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Sketchers. Blanked on who sculpted David.

Got only Dr. Scholls in Shoes.

All but tete-a-tete in Converse, all but Brazil in Timberland.

What was the TOM for purse/handbag in Croc for $200?

Redwall for Wheel of Time was a very amusing miss. Lucky for me I got it right thanks to TV Tropes.

I thought "waking up a sleepwalker" was an entirely contrived and ungettable clue. I didn't see a single TOM and that could be literally anything that isn't putting them in a car.

Just couldn't get the wheels turning on this FJ! I tried attacking from both ends. Alpha Bravo Charlie something Echo something something, nope. Zulu Yankee Xylophone something something, nope. Uh. Whiskey... tango... foxtrot... victor... Nope nope nope, I'm hosed. Wait, X really is X-Ray? I could've sworn it was Xylophone...

Lach Trash: "chit-chat", Lake Placid. Also got the Van Cliburn DD.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

gnash wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:17 am Another opening category run for Erin
I think you have your left and right mixed up. :P
Yeah first names with the same letter are no fun. Will be adding a Mitch & Michael game tomorrow to the Archive after doing a Michael & Mike one today. It's fixed, thank you. Apologies to Emma as by day 3 I should know her name.
Golf

Post by Golf »

gnash wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:13 pm $3,000 is virtually never a good DD wager.

I cut Emma some slack the first time she did it, as I know very well how much the excitement of the situation she was in can mess with your brain. But the second offense deserves a citation. Incidentally, my rule of thumb of "at least 5,000" is holding up pretty well, even though I've began to consider it too conservative.
You're not taking into account category or clue row level. You can't just say at least any figure.

Aside from endgame scenarios, I believe either $5 or everything offers the best winning chances.

But yes, $3000 is virtually never a good DD wager.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Erin's guess of Oregon for "Timber' wasn't a bad guess, with the Portland Timbers of MLS (and before that, NASL). :|
I so wanted Jonathan to say "Make this a true daily triple, Alex" at the start of DJ. :geek:
Military alphabet is one of those lists a J! player should know, along with the Presidents, Greek Alphabet, etc. 8-)
looked at scientific discoveries of the era. Thought of quark first, knew that wasn't it, easily switched to x-ray.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:08 pm Erin's guess of Oregon for "Timber' wasn't a bad guess, with the Portland Timbers of MLS (and before that, NASL). :|
I so wanted Jonathan to say "Make this a true daily triple, Alex" at the start of DJ. :geek:
Military alphabet is one of those lists a J! player should know, along with the Presidents, Greek Alphabet, etc. 8-)
looked at scientific discoveries of the era. Thought of quark first, knew that wasn't it, easily switched to x-ray.
i went with oregon as well