Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by mahatma »

I think there is only an excess of candidates from the candidates' point of view. As far as the show's concerned, there's no such thing.
davey

Post by davey »

mahatma wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 pm I think there is only an excess of candidates from the candidates' point of view. As far as the show's concerned, there's no such thing.
Yes, agreed. Also, promoting a product that is already sold out is pretty common. That's how it stays that way. Live in NY and you'll see endless ads for The Book of Mormon, and lately To Kill a Mockingbird, on Broadway...often during Jeopardy!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

dts wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:55 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:23 pm
dts wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:24 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:05 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 pm In this special resurrection of "The Final Wager" in which Keith starts by discussing the correctness of James's FJ wager on Monday's episode, special guest Austin Rogers announces that "in the coming weeks," on his Twitter and Instagram, he'll be announcing a J! "casting call" to be held at one of his trivia nights in NYC. The mention of it starts at approximately the 14:00 mark.
Oh!!! So first Vegas and now NYC for unlucky online test takers!
Has J! done this for years or is this relatively new? I have nothing against Trivia Nationals or Austin's trivia night but I don't quite understand why J! would go out of their way to find MORE people to audition when they already have a lottery in place to audition through the normal process. Is this just for community outreach, excitement/hype, fun?
Travelling from Culver City to Las Vegas isn't exactly going out of their way; and they'll have many trivia-savvy people there and many of the ones who haven't already been on J! have been on other game shows so they've proven that they're TV-ready. Plus, Maggie will be speaking on a panel at Trivia Nationals. (J! held an open audition at the very first TCONA in Las Vegas in 2011, although I think only one person made it onto the show from that audition.)

And as for the Austin pub quiz audition in NYC, it did seem difficult to imagine TPTB skipping NYC for an entire year of auditions.
I didn't mean geographically out of their way. Just that they're scheduling one-off events to add to a candidate pool that already has an excess of qualified candidates. It's like promoting a product that is already sold out. Presumably, those folks who would be interested would have taken the online test like everyone else. I didn't know if this was a tradition or a new thing. I forgot about Maggie being there already which makes a difference.
maybe it's so they can find people that have passed many times, but never won the random lottery
Total game show career losings = $171,522
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I don't know about the NYC pub trivia audition, but I know they'll get some amazing quiz minds at the Vegas audition. Maybe they are coming around to promoting the ratings boost they have when great players are on the show? The business of ratings and the contestant selection priorities are a mystery to me.
Tencent
Contributor

Post by Tencent »

boson wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:16 pm I don't know about the NYC pub trivia audition, but I know they'll get some amazing quiz minds at the Vegas audition. Maybe they are coming around to promoting the ratings boost they have when great players are on the show? The business of ratings and the contestant selection priorities are a mystery to me.
I think this makes a ton of sense. TPTB certainly know how to run a TV show. It would be surprising that they would not make some effort to find players like James.
4 time pool swimmer
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

And as for the Austin pub quiz audition in NYC, it did seem difficult to imagine TPTB skipping NYC for an entire year of auditions.
I'm pretty sure that for the past several years, they have alternated Boston and NYC as an audition city. I used to be out of sync with that schedule, and there were several times I had to go down to NYC for an audition. This was a Boston year. There were several people from NYC in the audition I attended.

I suspect the Austin pub quiz audition is just an extra
Teems with quiet fun.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

immaf wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:12 am
I'm pretty sure that for the past several years, they have alternated Boston and NYC as an audition city. I used to be out of sync with that schedule, and there were several times I had to go down to NYC for an audition. This was a Boston year. There were several people from NYC in the audition I attended.

I suspect the Austin pub quiz audition is just an extra
agreed

I don't think they actually "skip" cities for the most part, especially in the northeast. They go to both Boston and DC, they can invite NYC people to Boston and Philly people to DC, while still listing those as home audition cities. I know from experience that WOF has done this.
Nespy

Post by Nespy »

I have no idea what I scored on the online test. I received my invitation to the June 5th Savannah (10:00 am) in-person audition email on April 29th. I believe there were 19 of us there; maybe a split of 13 male / 6 female? This was my first in person audition and I was very excited..it was kind of a blur!

We took the two written tests, as well, and I believe that she mentioned they were comparing tests from this year and last year. There's every chance I am remembering that incorrectly, though. I found the second test to be much easier, which seems to put me in the minority.
Nespy

Post by Nespy »

Oh...and Sarah from the Clue Crew was at our audition, as well. She was our "free entertainment" while they graded our written tests. She was very engaging and friendly and answered any questions we asked of her.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

If Twitter is any indication, Seattle should be checking their spam folders.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had to cancel my Savannah audition at the last minute because I lost my job and couldn't afford to go. It was one of the worst feelings of my life.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm I had to cancel my Savannah audition at the last minute because I lost my job and couldn't afford to go. It was one of the worst feelings of my life.
Sorry to hear this! :(
Nespy

Post by Nespy »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm I had to cancel my Savannah audition at the last minute because I lost my job and couldn't afford to go. It was one of the worst feelings of my life.
I'm sorry to hear that. Missing out on Jeopardy is a bummer but, more importantly, I hope your job situation gets rectified quickly!

I was scheduled for an in person audition in 2006 in Memphis and due to circumstances that were out of my control, I was unable to attend so I understand, at least in part, your disappointment.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Well that really sucks.

Next time, don’t be afraid to ask for help in such a situation...we might have got you there
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Just auditioned in DC. A few notes.

We got two tests. I thought the second was easier. My brain was pretty fried after 100 questions.

Maggie wasn't there. I was disappointed.

They explicitly said that the order of being called up to play means nothing.

Corina stumbled over her words more than once and said how tired she was after their exhausting travel schedule. I can imagine.

I think I did well, definitely broke 45 on at least one of the tests. Here's hoping!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

zakharov wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:04 pm Just auditioned in DC. I think I did well, definitely broke 45 on at least one of the tests. Here's hoping!
Fourth time's the charm?
choplakecity
Contributor

Post by choplakecity »

Does anyone know when "The Call" starts going out when production is in hiatus? Supposedly the new season will begin taping July 26th and the coordinators said a month's notice is given to those being called...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

choplakecity wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:10 pm Does anyone know when "The Call" starts going out when production is in hiatus? Supposedly the new season will begin taping July 26th and the coordinators said a month's notice is given to those being called...
Back in the aughts I auditioned in May and got The Call in June just about a month later to tape for what was the third week of the season. Between Twitter and Reddit (not always so much here) expect reports of calls to tape in S36 popping up throughout the summer. I would say such a post is possible starting next week and certainly by the following week.

If J! wants you they will get hold of you.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 pm
Well that really sucks.

Next time, don’t be afraid to ask for help in such a situation...we might have got you there
Yep. In these circumstances, I would definitely try to help a boardie get to an audition.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Sorry about this. If you keep in touch with TPTB, maybe you can reschedule for another city before the next online test. Hope it works out!