Friday, June 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDICAL NEWS 2018

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For the first time, the FDA approved a drug for the treatment of this, though there hadn’t been a new case in 40 years

E.J. Wolbrosky: 13000-501=12499 (3x = $66,700)
Eric Larson: 5600+2401=8001
Becky Reisig: 4000-3050=950

Correct response:
Spoiler
smallpox (E.J. – polio) (Becky – polio)

Daily Doubles
Eric: 800+1000
E.J.: 6000-3000
Eric: 9400-3000

Coryats
E.J.: 16000
Eric: 8000
Becky: 4000

Combined: 28,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
E.J.: 5200
Eric: 5000
Becky: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was funny that Eric Larson's story was about the coincidence of his name connected to travel since J! has an Erik Larsen champ and author Erik Larson has had some bestsellers.

Each player was on the board after 3 clues though by the end E.J. had done enough (and Eric not quite enough) to have the lock.

The game was neg city with (I think) 15 times a player ringing in with an incorrect response. Also, 2 of the 3 DDs were missed. Throw in 8 TS clues and not a pretty Friday leading up to the Teens next week.

E.J. will be back on July 1st and looks like he will need five wins if he wants to make the ToC.

The FJ! category had me groaning as my .345 in Current Events on LL is my worst area. The clue had me write Legionnaires Disease as I recalled the famous outbreak in the 1970s. During think time I thought about the math of 2018-40 for the year 1978 and it hit me that was not the right year.

With the blessing of polio never occurring to me I was able to get lucky and make the correct switch to match Eric with his sole solve. Alex gave it away early that E.J. had missed (not that it mattered) with his remarks about a challenger wishing they had not made a couple of mistakes which turned the game into a runaway.

Eric has his choices of places to revisit for not winning the game. If he had made the standard 2K on DD3 that would have been enough to steal the game. Even better would have been solving the clue as regular J! viewers should know what to do with Gallaudet in the communication area.

If I want to get a few extra clues right next week I need to study some music of the 2010s. And all of the Netflix shows that thing puts out each week. And mall shopping. And the worst, those texting shortcuts.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

According to this page, the value for the negbait response would have been 39 years.

I can't think of why E.J. picked exactly $501 for his wager. His safe martian wager was $1,799. In particular, I can't figure out why his wager ended with -01 instead of with -99.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 am According to this page, the value for the negbait response would have been 39 years.
Did the FDA approve its first-ever drug for that in 2018, though?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:26 am Did the FDA approve its first-ever drug for that in 2018, though?
Did I say the clue was unpinned? But Final generally isn't about knowing the arcane pinning fact; it's about being able to suss out the correct response. Because the clue doesn't specify "worldwide", and because the FDA is a U.S. institution, a player can be forgiven for thinking "new case" means a new case originating in this country. The correct response then becomes a coin flip, consistent with the actual response distribution in this game.

(For my part, I got the correct response after marktiple choice by a mental coin flip, but that was luck.)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:30 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:26 am Did the FDA approve its first-ever drug for that in 2018, though?
Did I say the clue was unpinned? But Final generally isn't about knowing the arcane pinning fact; it's about being able to suss out the correct response. Because the clue doesn't specify "worldwide", and because the FDA is a U.S. institution, a player can be forgiven for thinking "new case" means a new case originating in this country. The correct response then becomes a coin flip, consistent with the actual response distribution in this game.
RKS, I still don't understand where your 39-year figure derives from.

ETA: one thing about the clue that confused me is that the last documented case of smallpox was famously in 1977, but that was 41 years before 2018, not 40.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

"Since 1979, no cases of polio have originated in the United States."

2018 - 1979 = 39
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 am
I can't think of why E.J. picked exactly $501 for his wager. His safe martian wager was $1,799. In particular, I can't figure out why his wager ended with -01 instead of with -99.
Any ties to Arkansas, home of the 501 area code?
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:30 am
But Final generally isn't about knowing the arcane pinning fact; it's about being able to suss out the correct response. Because the clue doesn't specify "worldwide", and because the FDA is a U.S. institution, a player can be forgiven for thinking "new case" means a new case originating in this country. The correct response then becomes a coin flip, consistent with the actual response distribution in this game.
I think this is backwards. The clue doesn't specify "in the U.S.," so IMO if a player reads that geographical limitation into the clue it's on the player. I think the bigger problem with the clue is the one I edited into my post above after you responded to it: the clue was asking for a disease that last occurred "40 years" prior to 2018, which would be 1978. But the last known case of smallpox was diagnosed in 1977 - 41 years before 2018. So arguably there's no correct response to this FJ.

Full disclosure: I responded with smallpox anyway.

ETA: According to the CDC, the final case of smallpox in 1977 was the last naturally-occurring case, but a medical photographer contracted the disease in 1978 in a medical school where smallpox research was being conducted. So this FJ is indeed correct. I shouldn't have doubted the writers. :)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:38 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 am
Any ties to Arkansas, home of the 501 area code?
Maybe E.J. likes darts?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:53 amthere's no correct response to this FJ
That's silly. The last case could've been in 1776 and it still would've been accurate to say that there hadn't been a case in 40 years.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:16 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:53 amthere's no correct response to this FJ
That's silly. The last case could've been in 1776 and it still would've been accurate to say that there hadn't been a case in 40 years.
I assume you read my entire post, including the ETA that was added 12 minutes before your post, and that you're just trying to make a point. But if a clue is based on an event that happened in a specific year and it's sufficiently off in the year given or implied (202 years, as in your hypothetical, certainly qualifies), then it would be ambiguous and/or misleading - to the point where a contestant who responded incorrectly would likely be brought back if that response could have affected the outcome of the game.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 pmambiguous and/or misleading
Except that you did not say ambiguous or misleading--you said no correct response, which was an error of grammar or logic or both.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:30 am Final generally isn't about knowing the arcane pinning fact; it's about being able to suss out the correct response.
Increasingly often, FJ seems to penalize players who happen to know more of the arcane facts than the writers know. Knowing more than the writers opens the door to unproductive literal readings and to careless over-readings of the writers' careless or unknowingly ambiguous wording.

Jeopardy in its heyday was awfully good about keeping its clues accurate and precise. In recent years, sadly, the show seems to be slipping in this area, such that a player too often must think, "Despite such-and-such problem, the writers must have intended..." rather than "The clue correctly leads to this one accurate response." Of course, now that this is too often the case, players may become TOO quick to assume imprecision even when the writers get it right, which can lead the over-thinking player down all sorts of treacherous rabbit-holes to the wrong answer or to no answer at all.
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

I used to do polio communications for a job, including the last time I was on the show, and let me say it is not clear at all that people know that polio is still a going concern in many places (specifically in Pakistan and Afghanistan), even if it's been a while in the US. If anyone feels like they want to do something about that, Rotary International is a great place to send your money.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Poll request for "George" magazine. Seems like a very obscure pick since it was only around for 6 years and I don't see any popcultural impact it could've made.

Surprisingly, Tamagotchi was my only get in 1990s.

Another bad performance in an animal category, as i got only Timon.

The horse clue in Circus was my only miss there. I couldn't think of anything that could be done between two horses. However, I ran 2-Letter Words.

I bit on the Ulysses negbait in Dust Jacket for $400, and like the contestants had no idea how to BMS "horse".

Rosa Parks + transport not equaling bus was also a bizarre clue. Any reason I should know Parks had anything to do with streetcars?

I got only two right in DJ!, both in communication.

No guess on FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:30 pm Any reason I should know Parks had anything to do with streetcars?
No reason, as she had nothing to do with them. I think this was just an oddly-worded clue that was basically saying that Parks is to buses what Truth was to streetcars.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

This was the cr not an enjoyable game. I'm pretty sure EJ shot off all of his toes, but he ended up with a lock, because sure why not.
*checks Andy's site* Only 17 negs? Boy it felt like more. Bring on the teens :(

Perhaps it's the part of me that's still annoyed about missing this FJ a couple of years ago, but 'no new cases in 40 years' = instaget for me. Finally a 5/5 week.