Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Jeopardy 2019 North American Audition Tour

Post by Ironhorse »

squarekara wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm I had to cancel my Savannah audition at the last minute because I lost my job and couldn't afford to go. It was one of the worst feelings of my life.
Sorry about this. If you keep in touch with TPTB, maybe you can reschedule for another city before the next online test. Hope it works out!
I emailed them and explained in my cancellation message and never heard back, so I figure that is that. I just hope I'm not permanently blacklisted going forward.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:43 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm I had to cancel my Savannah audition at the last minute because I lost my job and couldn't afford to go. It was one of the worst feelings of my life.
Sorry about this. If you keep in touch with TPTB, maybe you can reschedule for another city before the next online test. Hope it works out!

I emailed them and explained in my cancellation message and never heard back, so I figure that is that. I just hope I'm not permanently blacklisted going forward.
Maybe email once more and ask to be considered for an upcoming audition. I’d contribute to your travel fund
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Peachbox wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:23 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 pm
Well that really sucks.

Next time, don’t be afraid to ask for help in such a situation...we might have got you there
Yep. In these circumstances, I would definitely try to help a boardie get to an audition.
Can confirm. When I got The Email I was between jobs. I scraped together every last penny and didn’t think to ask the board for help (or was too proud). Regardless the board knew and helped get a go fund me together for what was one of the top five moments of my life.

I’m always grateful for the board and now that I’m working would’ve gladly paid it forward had I known.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Maybe email once more and ask to be considered for an upcoming audition. I’d contribute to your travel fund
Haven't people posted here about missing out due to unforeseen/ uncertain circumstances and then successfully transferring their reservation to another locale? Maybe in the "Timing of audition e-mails" thread?

Don't worry about being blacklisted. You were courteous enough to notify them about your situation, and I bet some folks just blow off the audition without bothering to send word. TPTB may not ever acknowledge your e-mail, but, yeah, make it clear that you'd be willing to "stand by" for any upcoming auditions in your area--maybe anything south of the Mason-Dixon line.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

squarekara wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:28 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Haven't people posted here about missing out due to unforeseen/ uncertain circumstances and then successfully transferring their reservation to another locale? Maybe in the "Timing of audition e-mails" thread?

Don't worry about being blacklisted. You were courteous enough to notify them about your situation, and I bet some folks just blow off the audition without bothering to send word. TPTB may not ever acknowledge your e-mail, but, yeah, make it clear that you'd be willing to "stand by" for any upcoming auditions in your area--maybe anything south of the Mason-Dixon line.
1. I'm confident there's no way you've been blacklisted. The CC's aren't like that.

2. Give them a little more time to get back to you. As was mentioned upthread, they've been very busy with all their travelling to road auditions. If you still don't hear back, send a low-key follow-up email in a week or so.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

squarekara wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:28 am ...

Fwiw, I overlooked an audition invitation (not sure exactly how that happened) and emailed them later, well past the reply date. I didn't hear back, but I did get another audition invitation.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

On FB there was a post about a pub trivia night and J! contestant coordinators coming up in Washington, D.C., so Austin's place has company for that format of potentially finding contestants.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 am On FB there was a post about a pub trivia night and J! contestant coordinators coming up in Washington, D.C., so Austin's place has company for that format of potentially finding contestants.
Yeah, Mehrun is apparently setting that up. It is at 7PM tomorrow night at Cafe Saint-Ex. Anyone who wants to join the DC Jeopardy People group I had set up on FB, just go ahead and ask. I, unfortunately, am out of town and disconsolate about that fact.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 am On FB there was a post about a pub trivia night and J! contestant coordinators coming up in Washington, D.C., so Austin's place has company for that format of potentially finding contestants.
The way I read the thread about it on the LL message board, it was ambiguous, but it sounds like Mehrun's event in DC will be an opportunity to chat with contestant coordinators but not an actual audition.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Thanks for your kindness/generosity/support, everyone. This has been a nightmare summer for me but it's helpful to know that there are really good people out there. I think I will reach out; if nothing else, perhaps it could help for next year.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Any word on Columbus yet? I picked that because it was slightly closer than Chicago for me.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:15 pm Any word on Columbus yet? I picked that because it was slightly closer than Chicago for me.
not a whisper

do you remember your score?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DisneyFor2000Alex
Contributor

Post by DisneyFor2000Alex »

Did the DC audition on Sunday - I was sick with a cold and laryngitis but still had a great time!

For my 2pm audition, there were about 40 people, split into two rooms. I'd say it was about 60% M, 40% F.

We took two tests as well, and they said they'd take the best of two. They didn't say they were testing out new questions, but that is always my thought when they do two tests.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:25 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:15 pm Any word on Columbus yet? I picked that because it was slightly closer than Chicago for me.
not a whisper

do you remember your score?
I actually got quite a lot right. I think it was somewhere around 40.
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

Has anyone seen the Chicago audition invitations go out yet? I'm hoping it hasn't - I scored a 45 on the test and have my fingers crossed!
dts

Post by dts »

Nothing here for Chi. You should see some smiley faces on the first page when they start coming in
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

dts wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:38 am Nothing here for Chi. You should see some smiley faces on the first page when they start coming in
or at the very least, the dates (could happen we find out about it elsewhere, and nobody here gets that magic invite)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I got my invite to Columbus today.
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

I didn't post before, but I got an invitation for July 26th in Columbus.
Edit to add my score was 44 (I'm counting Lautrec for Toulouse-Lautrec).
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Just replied to my invite to Columbus!!!!!!