Thursday, June 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, June 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first time this organization invoked Article 5 was September 12, 2001

Avi Gupta: 17200+7000=24200
Lucas Miner: 7400+7400=14800
Ryan Presler: 16600-601=15999

Correct response:
Spoiler
NATO (Avi added s/o to all my teachers…Ily all v much) (Ryan – United Nations)

Daily Doubles
Avi: 3800+2000
Ryan: 6200+2000
Lucas: 7600-1400

Coryats
Avi: 15600
Lucas: 8800
Ryan: 16200

Combined: 40,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Avi: 10800
Lucas: 4000
Ryan: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9200 at the first break had Avi with the strong start while Ryan took awhile to get untracked.

Lucas saved himself from a rough game by only losing 1400 on DD2 and gaining the double-up on the FJ! clue.

The FJ! clue dashed my chance at 10/10 for they tourney as I matched Ryan. The correct org. was on my precall list though I did not know to go that way when I saw the clue. My other option after seeing the clue would have been a miss as well as I considered switching to World Court. A clean miss as I always miss at least one in the TT such as honey badger getting me back in November.

Nice lead by Avi to take into tomorrow while not substantial enough to rest easy. Each guy getting a DD and the FJ! clue going 2/3 would work well in F2 to determine the winner.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

That particular article makes it into the news fairly regularly. OTOH, one rarely hears about the
Spoiler
UN version
, which has never been invoked (or, at least, hadn't as of 2011).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think the writers overshot that YouTube category. Didn't know $200, NHO $400 or $600.

"Miser" is one of those words I've heard a million times, but never really understood what it meant.

I forgot that it was State Capitals and couldn't think of which capital would be near a glacier.

Another opportunity for "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!" squandered. For shame.

Precalled "Steven Universe" in the Gem category.

And yet again, no guess on FJ! Nothing seemed to fit. I honestly thought NATO was wrong when it was revealed. Post-9/11, NSA made far more sense to me. I still don't see how NATO makes sense here.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:02 pm I think the writers overshot that YouTube category. Didn't know $200, NHO $400 or $600.

"Miser" is one of those words I've heard a million times, but never really understood what it meant.

I forgot that it was State Capitals and couldn't think of which capital would be near a glacier.

Another opportunity for "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!" squandered. For shame.

Precalled "Steven Universe" in the Gem category.

And yet again, no guess on FJ! Nothing seemed to fit. I honestly thought NATO was wrong when it was revealed. Post-9/11, NSA made far more sense to me. I still don't see how NATO makes sense here.
why? it isn't an international organization
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:02 pm Another opportunity for "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!" squandered. For shame.
True, but at least Avi said, "What is Hahvahd?"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:51 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:02 pm Another opportunity for "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!" squandered. For shame.
True, but at least Avi said, "What is Hahvahd?"
If I get on, I sincerely hope for at least one chance at a unique response delivery. "Yoda, who is?" is another one I've always hoped for.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

When Alex introduced the category THE 1600s, I was hoping he'd say "That was a good century" or similar.

Speaking of that category, I missed the Pocahontas clue because she didn't look Native American. So, forgetting that John Alden's last name wasn't Rolfe (spoiler: It was Alden), I guessed Priscilla Mullins.

My first thought on the FJ was the UN. But then I thought of the Geneva Convention and liked that a little better. When Lucas' response of NATO was revealed, I thought that was a darn good guess. A moment later I was slightly surprised to find out it was right. Re-imagining this as a Millionaire question with four choices, I'm not sure what I'd have gone with.

a) The United Nations b) NATO
c) The Geneva Convention d) The US Constitution

If I still had the friend lifeline I might cash that in and see. If I had a 50/50 left, I'd use that and hope that D was one of the two left. I wouldn't poll the audience because they'd have no clue on something like this. But most likely I'd end up walking with the money I had.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

NATO was an instaget for me - the invocation of that article after 9/11 has been in the news a lot in response to Trump's constant criticism of other NATO members. Apparently it's the only time it's been invoked, meaning the US is the only member to have taken advantage of it (of course deservedly so).
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

A very great start to the finals! Avi was dominating the game at first and it looked like this was gonna be a shutout, but Ryan REALLY made a great comeback after the first commercial break and fought hard!

Still, congrats to Avi for holding the lead for now. Can't wait to see how tomorrow goes!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:14 pm When Alex introduced the category THE 1600s, I was hoping he'd say "That was a good century" or similar.
"You're too young to remember."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

It seems weird how the buzzer dominance pendulum swings - one player will own it and suddenly lose it as another player owns it for several clues.

I was disappointed to see three cootie-bearing boys make it through to the finals but felt better when AT reminded us the last TT was all grils. I guess I have to pull for Avi for attacking that Physics category yesterday although an 8th grade champ would be cool also.

I expected a TS for the NATO clue as that tidbit isn't really educational fare, and is basically YEKIOYD status with massive UN negbait. The youngsters must not be watching Fox News (it doesn't fit their narrative), so good for them! By and large, I think the difficulty level went up - no Boston Harbor clues here.

Well done by Lucas to get back into it. I still miss the girls and Emma's po-tay-toe response, but criss cross applesauce is the BWA of the season. (not from this game but no need to spoiler, eh?)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

No idea who will end up winning this thing, but I'm pretty sure that within the next ten years Lucas will be ruling the world.

That young man is so poised and confident and knowledgeable. Of course his opponents aren't exactly the dog's dinner, but (to me at least) he truly stands out.

Many congrats to all three for making it this far and for acquitting themselves so admirably in game 1. Really looking forward to a barn burner finish.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:30 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:14 pm When Alex introduced the category THE 1600s, I was hoping he'd say "That was a good century" or similar.
"You're too young to remember."
I felt much older when I realized the contestants were born too recently to remember 9/11/2001.
I didn't remember the members invoking the NATO article at the time, but I had heard of Article 5, so NATO was my guess. I was a bit distracted after having been nearby in lower Manhattan the day before.
bob
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:14 pm I missed the Pocahontas clue because she didn't look Native American.
Good thing Donald Trump is too dumb to watch Jeopardy!
Re-imagining this as a Millionaire question with four choices, I'm not sure what I'd have gone with.

a) The United Nations b) NATO
c) The Geneva Convention d) The US Constitution
The last two aren't even organizations.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Bethany Mota was my only miss today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Justin Timberlake, Persepolis, Kansas, Fort Benning, Esperanza Rising, (Parsec), Shannon
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I would've hoped that the contestants were smart enough to realize that it couldn't be the UN as certain members would've cheered the attacks.
I was not disappointed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:50 pm I would've hoped that the contestants were smart enough to realize that it couldn't be the UN as certain members would've cheered the attacks.
How does that rule out the UN?