Monday, July 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, July 1, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

You can add me into the "not a prayer" group.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Does Polynesia even have a defined area to know the size of? I was trying to make Oceania fit, but it wasn't. I'm torn between calling it a terrible clue and one that could have been a decent one with better wording.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:54 pm Does Polynesia even have a defined area to know the size of? I was trying to make Oceania fit, but it wasn't. I'm torn between calling it a terrible clue and one that could have been a decent one with better wording.
The Polynesian triangle is defined as the area between Hawaii, Rapa Nui, and New Zealand.

An absolutely brutal, vaguely-worded FJ clue.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Debbie had such a perfect opportunity to wager twice the difference between her and EJ's score and give herself the best chance (and, given the responses, the win).

The FJ clue would have been much easier if it had mentioned how many countries the region included, or that its name is Greek for "many islands".
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

gnash wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:04 pm Debbie had such a perfect opportunity to wager twice the difference between her and EJ's score and give herself the best chance (and, given the responses, the win).

The FJ clue would have been much easier if it had mentioned how many countries the region included, or that its name is Greek for "many islands".
If you are a miss then I count 3/17 on this board for 17.65% and including the contestants makes it 15%. Tough one.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

There’s been talk recently of recognizing Zealandia as an “8th continent,” so I went with that.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:06 pm
gnash wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:04 pm Debbie had such a perfect opportunity to wager twice the difference between her and EJ's score and give herself the best chance (and, given the responses, the win).

If you are a miss then I count 3/17 on this board for 17.65% and including the contestants makes it 15%. Tough one.
Yeah, I had no clue. Couldn't even come up with a 9-letter WAG.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mahatma wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:59 am Wow. I came up with the correct answer, but I can almost guarantee I would not have gotten it on the show. Did anybody else find the clue to be oddly worded?
Clunky, but I guess I'm in the minority who could decipher it. Area almost the size of Africa with its own name over water, has to be a subset of an ocean, odds on Pacific. Oh, Micronesia! Wait, 9 letters, Melanesia? No. Polynesia!

Does the Jeopardy clue curse count if someone's associated tangentially? Tyler Skaggs, LA Angels pitcher, died today.
https://www.mlb.com/news/tyler-skaggs-passes-away
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

It was funny when the show did their movie promo and Josh showed he was out of date - then for the easy rebound EJ reached even farther into the past...Maybe not the best way of convincing viewers we need to see another in the series...I had the right name even though I've never seen any of the Spidermans mentioned.

I had Josh's response for FJ, knowing it was doomed but happy that at least it had 9 letters... :roll:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Pretty competitive game, and I think the best player got the victory (I won't say he "won"). I think he could easily repeat a game or two.

I went straight to Greenland even knowing that Mercator just makes it seem to be 4/5ths of Africa size. The nine letters seemed to help deter from Antarctica, and the phrasing made it sound like un-dry land vs. terra firma. I thought it to be a terrible clue if my answer was right - is permafrost dry land? (and etc..). It's still a bad clue, made good just by saying the rest is freaking WATER, and leave Africa out of it.

Although it might have be guessable, I thought the variables clue was well worth $2K and was not surprised it was a TS. The stars known as Cepheid Variables gave the first evidence of the scale of the galaxy and universe.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought "Kitchen Confidential" was obscure for $400. it only has one other Archive hit as an actual response.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:11 am I thought "Kitchen Confidential" was obscure for $400. it only has one other Archive hit as an actual response.
No crime if the clue had been $600 or $800 instead. Bourdain's death last year got A LOT of publicity with plenty of mentions of the work.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

After having so many champs with $25K + first game wins, it kinda feels awkward to have a new champion with only $8K... But hey, a win's a win, so congrats to Josh for unseating EJ!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My first instinct was Amazonia and I had to count the number of letters a couple times before realizing it's one short. Came up with Polynesia with just a few seconds left with little confidence. I have to agree this clue was a stinker.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I first went to Micronesia but whoops too many letters so I went to the next nesia that came to mind with nine letters... Indonesia.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:07 am
I went straight to Greenland even knowing that Mercator just makes it seem to be 4/5ths of Africa size. The nine letters seemed to help deter from Antarctica, and the phrasing made it sound like un-dry land vs. terra firma. I thought it to be a terrible clue if my answer was right - is permafrost dry land? (and etc..). It's still a bad clue, made good just by saying the rest is freaking WATER, and leave Africa out of it.
Looks as if almost everyone else who has chimed in on this clue AT LEAST went for something water-related, so I'm gratified that at least one other person thought of Greenland. Yeah, my thinking focused on dry land vs. land covered with snow/ice. Dumb, perhaps, but I wasn't coming within 10,000 miles (literally) of Polynesia on this one.

I do notice that with all of these musings about the wording of the clue etc., no one has even noted that other aspect of the end of the game: how Debbie's ill-advised, all-in FJ wager cost her the game. It just never ends. With thousands of games aired, in which leaders rightly make the win-by-$1 FJ wager, some people never seem to get the message that all-in from behind is almost never going to win. If she had bet $3,600 as I urged, she wins the game with $8,200. Oh well.
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

harrumph wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 am I first went to Micronesia but whoops too many letters so I went to the next nesia that came to mind with nine letters... Indonesia.
Same thing I did. Mad that I couldn't make the small mental leap from Micronesia to Polynesia.

I was highly amused at the guesses of the two previous Spider-Men.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Maladies and Mads Mikkelsen.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Penicillin, Chicago Hope, Tom Holland, Variable, (Thane), Bight
Douglas Squasoni
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I, too, got hung up on Micronesia. I spent way too many of the 30 seconds wondering if I was misspelling it somehow. Then I flailed around with some of the other guesses mentioned: Greenland, Oceania, Antartica etc. none of which satisfied. I could've done without the Africa comparison but don't think it affected my thought process.

Interesting that so many of us went to Micronesia before Polynesia.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Plactus wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:50 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 pm This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
$13,000 out of $13,000 is big in my book.
Not a Shore's Conjecture game, either, unless I'm misreading the flowchart (EJ didn't have Debbie locked out).
You're both right. I had different numbers in mind. I think I was looking at the Daily Double scores. --Bob