Season 36 Changes & Predictions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

One thing I forgot.

2020 is the next presidential election, so I suspect there is another Power Players Week. Suppose the 3-week UToC is held May 4-22, Power Players Week airs May 25-29; and both events are taped at DAR Constitution Hall.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:53 pm One thing I forgot.

2020 is the next presidential election, so I suspect there is another Power Players Week. Suppose the 3-week UToC is held May 4-22, Power Players Week airs May 25-29; and both events are taped at DAR Constitution Hall.
That would certainly make me ecstatic!
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Any time a player hits a DD and says "I've always wanted to say this Alex..." a trap door opens under their feet.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:14 pm Any time a player hits a DD and says "I've always wanted to say this Alex..." a trap door opens under their feet.
Yes! Well... give it a second and see how they finish. I have several possibilities that I'm going to practice if I get the call:

I've always wanted to say this Alex... but I'm too chicken.
I've always wanted to say this Alex.... Let's bet $5.
I've always wanted to say this Alex.... Let's bet [state amount of $ I have rather than saying the phrase]
I've always wanted to say this Alex... but I'd be crazy to do it in this situation
I've always wanted to say this Alex.... Let's bet $3817.

Alternatively: I hoped it would never come to this Alex, but let's make this a true daily double.

There is so much fun to be had here yet contestants dish up the same old same old.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to bet more than the maximum allowed bet. I'm sure they'd edit it out, but I wonder if anyone has ever tried, whether accidentally or joking.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I seem to recall Alex correcting a mistaken invalid bet. It might have been during a kids or celebrity week.

They edited out of my game Alex asking whether my "two" (for a next-clue call) meant "two hundred or two thousand". I was stupefied that Alex thought there could have been any ambiguity. He ought to have many years prior satisfied himself that $200 clues never appear in the same round as $2000 clues.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:48 pm I wonder if anyone has ever tried to bet more than the maximum allowed bet. I'm sure they'd edit it out, but I wonder if anyone has ever tried, whether accidentally or joking.
Alex: "You trail James by a considerable margin."
Contestant: "I'll wager $56,000. I'm good for it, I swear."

I always said if I'm on Wheel, I wanna ask to buy a vowel when I have no money, then when corrected by Pat, pull out a credit card.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I've always wanted to say this Alex... but I'm too chicken.
I've always wanted to say this Alex.... Let's bet $5.
I've always wanted to say this Alex.... Let's bet [state amount of $ I have rather than saying the phrase]
I've always wanted to say this Alex... but I'd be crazy to do it in this situation
I've always wanted to say this Alex.... Let's bet $3817.

Episode that aired September 13, 2007 - Alex I've always wanted to say this...I'd like to solve the puzzle.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

gnash wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:53 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:38 pm
yclept wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:37 pmHeck, maybe one VERY MINOR flaw in James’ game is that he would hit the DD on his first clue call
It may be minor but that's arguably what did him in.
I think the biggest flaw in James's gameplay was that he played too conservatively.

Yes, seriously.

He made too few mistakes, and that did him in. He didn't buzz in on the Albany clue because it took him another second to figure it out. Ken would have buzzed in regardless and put faith in his ability to figure it out in the next 5 seconds.

When I prepared for J!, playing along at home, I targeted 2 wrong answers per game. If I'm making 4 or more errors, I'm being reckless and losing money; but if I make no errors, I'm being too timid and probably losing too many buzzer battles.

I can't match James or Ken on fundamentals, but I executed my prepared strategy well: I had 2 wrong answers in each of my 2 games.
Thanks for this. I think that's acute advice, and I appreciate the insight.

As to the schedule, from the OP:
The new season will tape on July 23, and the first episode will air either September 9 or September 16.
The first taping day will be an (unusual, I'm told) Monday, July 22. The 2nd day that week will be Tuesday the 23rd, then they expect to revert to Tue/Wed tapings.

The first show of the new season will air Sept. 9. I'm taping July 23, and it will air Sept 16-20.
Pending...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:01 pm The first show of the new season will air Sept. 9. I'm taping July 23, and it will air Sept 16-20.
You're going to be on Jeopardy!? Congratulations!!! :D

Have you been working on your weak categories?
Douglas Squasoni
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:01 pm I'm taping July 23, and it will air Sept 16-20.
Congratulations and good luck!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

gnash wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:53 pmWhen I prepared for J!, playing along at home, I targeted 2 wrong answers per game. If I'm making 4 or more errors, I'm being reckless and losing money; but if I make no errors, I'm being too timid and probably losing too many buzzer battles.
Thank you, gnash. This is excellent food for thought should I ever get The Call.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Johnny Gilbert must be stepping down sometime soon. Next week he turns 95. I expect that Kelly will take over for Johnny when he retires.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:29 pm I expect that Kelly will take over for Johnny when he retires.
I'd say this is doubtful at best.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:12 am
MollyQMurphy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:01 pm The first show of the new season will air Sept. 9. I'm taping July 23, and it will air Sept 16-20.
You're going to be on Jeopardy!? Congratulations!!! :D

Have you been working on your weak categories?
Oh, yeah. Geography, Roman and Greek Mythology, and music from the 90s onward are all rough. I'm kind of ceding the latter and working on the first 3. Also reviewing Operas and Classical composers.

Let me say, I REALLY appreciate the wealth of study material and experience talking on this board. You guys are the best!
Pending...
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

gnash wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:53 pm
MollyQMurphy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:01 pm I'm taping July 23, and it will air Sept 16-20.
Congratulations and good luck!
Thank you! You're an inspiration here.
Pending...
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Update: James will be in the ToC in November, and a rematch of him vs. Emma is possible (hopefully saved for the semifinals or the finals); I'd like to see him win it all due to how he played compared to the other 14 contestants in the tournament.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Perhaps after the ToC and James wins it all or at least is a semi-finalist or finalist, they can do the 3-week UToC. Or another idea I have in mind for Season 36 instead of the UToC is a second iteration of the Million Dollar Masters Tournament being held at DAR Constitution Hall in May just before Power Players Week. The three Jeopardy! giants - Brad, Ken, and James - would obviously be invited back. But no one receives byes to the semifinals or the finals. And the twelve other contestants invited back are the biggest winner's of prior seasons after Ken's run or semifinalists/finalists/winners in prior ToC's following Ken's winning streak. If this tournament were to occur, I can still bet on the finals being a James vs. Ken vs. Brad matchup; and I can also bet on James winning the $1M prize and becoming the first human to defeat Brad Rutter (though Rutter would still hold the record as the highest money winner on Jeopardy!).

The 15 players competing in the second Million Dollar Masters Tournament:

- Brad Rutter
- Ken Jennings
- James Holzhauer
- David Madden
- Julia Collins
- Larissa Kelly
- Dan Pawson
- Ben Ingram
- Roger Craig
- Buzzy Cohen
- Austin Rogers
- Matt Jackson
- Seth Wilson
- Tom Nissley
- Jason Keller
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think the show thinks of special invitation tournaments as like a five-year thing, so let's keep our eyes peeled for Season 40 in 2023...
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:31 pm I think the show thinks of special invitation tournaments as like a five-year thing, so let's keep our eyes peeled for Season 40 in 2023...
They did the All-Star Games this year, and five years ago they did the Battle of the Decades.

In Season 25, they only did that Kids Week Reunion, which wasn't even a tournament; the event took place the second week of that season. The biggest highlight I think was the ToC that aired in March 2009. It was a regular ToC, but it was special only because we had the sneak peek of the CES set, which became the main set at Culver City during Season 26.

The UToC was held in Season 21. Ken Jennings was initially guaranteed a spot in the Season 22 ToC, but he chose the UToC instead. I don't recall any special tournaments being held in Season 20; but that was when the 5-time limit was lifted, setting the stage for Ken.

Last but not least, the Million Dollars Masters Tournament was held in Season 18, which wasn't an anniversary season; but it was done to commemorate the show's 4000th episode.