Tuesday, July 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Meaning cobbled together, it once referred to a temporary fix replacing a broken mast on a ship

Josh Levit: 12400-3601=8799
Allison Lyttle: 16000-12000=4000
Charlie Jorgenson: 17800+15000=32800 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
jury-rigged (jerry-rigged) (Josh – stopgap) (Allison – spliced) (Charlie - jury-rigged)

Daily Doubles
Allison: 4000+1000
Josh: 8200-3000
Charlie: 10800+3000

Coryats
Josh: 15400
Allison: 15800
Charlie: 15600

Combined: 46,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Josh: 6600
Allison: 6000
Charlie: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice Coryat range with 15400, 15600 & 15800. I figured the players were going to do well when the J! round had the low score at a respectable 4800. Josh had to know he was in for a tough draw getting a double dose of librarians.

Did one of the writers recently go through the National Treasure movies? Today's presidential desk clue was an easy reminder about the sequel.

Allison's wrestling story had her reaction to the first time watching as, "This is very strange." I like to imagine someone watching Raw for the first time last night and seeing this:
Spoiler
Home field advantage for me on the TS clue for the local immigration island as that was a 6th grade graduation outing destination. 9th grade was better with Great America.

Alex gave away the position for DD3 when $400 had been played and the next called unexpectedly jumped to $1200. Alex started with, "Answer" like he would with the discovery of a DD and had to quickly draw it back. Charlie caught on and went to that $800 clue where it was no surprise hiding.

It turned out not to matter as Charlie had the sole solve on the FJ! clue.

A miss for me on the FJ! clue in matching Josh to have something or otherwise I would have written MacGyver. Unlike yesterday I would have instantly had the right thing with multiple choice and perhaps 30-90 seconds more would have been sufficient. It's definitely a get in Learned League. With the time restriction I could not get there.

If I had figured it out I would have not matched Charlie and instead gone with the alternate correct response that is at a point of acceptance by now.

Well done by Charlie to go 2/2 on the big clues he played and get the victory with forward advancement on the scoreboard.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Jeopardy! Fan has the clues right tally already completed and like the Coryat it lines up nicely with 20 for Allison, 19 for Charlie and 18 for Josh. Alex likes a good match and he got one today.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This clue got me wondering about whether "jerry-rigged" should properly have been acceptable. I guess so, but for anyone who wants an in-depth discussion:
https://www.dictionary.com/e/jury-rigge ... ry-rigged/
Jury-rigged means something was assembled quickly with the materials on hand. Jerry-built means it was cheaply built. Jerry-rigged is a combination of these two words. Jerry-rigged is a relatively new word. Many people consider it to be an incorrect version of jury-rigged, but it’s widely used in everyday speech.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I started with slap-dash, but got to jerry-rigged within 30 seconds. I assume jerry/jury will be a poll question at the end of the week.
pretzelgreg
Contributor

Post by pretzelgreg »

IT’S BAY-SIL! Basil is an innkeeper played by John Cleese.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said slipshod.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:31 pm This clue got me wondering about whether "jerry-rigged" should properly have been acceptable. I guess so, but for anyone who wants an in-depth discussion:
Jury-rigged means something was assembled quickly with the materials on hand. Jerry-built means it was cheaply built. Jerry-rigged is a combination of these two words. Jerry-rigged is a relatively new word. Many people consider it to be an incorrect version of jury-rigged, but it’s widely used in everyday speech.
I'll take it! (Mark me down for jerryrig.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:34 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:31 pm This clue got me wondering about whether "jerry-rigged" should properly have been acceptable. I guess so, but for anyone who wants an in-depth discussion:
I'll take it! (Mark me down for jerryrig.)
I'd say that this discussion - and the one I read from Merriam-Webster - suggest it shouldn't have been accepted - though the terms are interchangeable now, only jury has a background as a nautical term...
But I'm grateful that this is too pedantic, since I used jerry- myself...
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Very great game to watch. All three players remained very competitive til the end, and games like that tend to rank among my favorites. Good job to Charlie for becoming the new champ with an impressive $32K!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

This was super-instaget (mast/ship -> rigging -> jury-rigged, done), but I've never heard anyone say 'jerry-rigged' as far as I can recall. Only place I remember encountering it...is in articles discussing it as a 'common mistake', yet here we are, with 3 'jerry's and counting. Fascinating. Can't wait for the weekend poll.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I will also admit, for the sake of soliciting any similar admissions, that until today it was my supposition that between "jury-rigged" and "jerry-rigged", the former, and not the latter, was the incorrectly used neologism, an errant combination of "jerry-rigged" and the phrase "jury tampering".
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Three of us watching at my house and we all knew FJ immediately, so was a bit surprised when the first two missed it. In my world "jerry-rigged" wouldn't be accepted. :D
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I got to jerry/jury rigged in one second and vacillated for the next 29. I didn’t Know it was nautical and thought it was derivative of WWI or WWII and the Germans’ nickname as Jerry’s. same with the Jerry can which I now must look up. My final answer would have been Jerry, having never seen it in print but heard it both ways. I’d hate to lose on account of some hillbilly’s accent. The rednecks here usually pronounce it starting with the letter N, sad to say.
(Sorry about typos - no laptop tonite.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

never heard of the term that was the answer to the final jeopardy clue
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:25 pm never heard of the term that was the answer to the final jeopardy clue
Have you heard of the term "Mickey Mouse" (and not as referring to the character)?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Second-guessed myself on "Scapula" to end up 4/5 in Anagram.

NHO caprese salad or mustard greens.

$200 was my only get in the People Movies category. Can't say I recognize "Magic Mike".

Cities was incredibly YEKIOYD. NHO any of the cities named and saw no way to figure out they were Vietnam.

DJ! was again a beast for me, as I got only 6 right.

No guess on FJ! This one seemed insanely wide-open as there are only about ten trillion things that fit it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 pm I got to jerry/jury rigged in one second and vacillated for the next 29. I didn’t Know it was nautical and thought it was derivative of WWI or WWII and the Germans’ nickname as Jerry’s. same with the Jerry can which I now must look up.
Yes, I have a feeling that some people who say "jerry-rigged" are conflating it with a "jerrycan" or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.