J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MarkBarrett »

A post on Reddit (spoiled for size):
Spoiler
There are some season openers (4?) not in the Archive.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Welp, that means people can watch me lose.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I know it is possible to snag closed captioning from Netflix. If anyone knows a surefire way to snag the video itself, please PM me with it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:24 pm Welp, that means people can watch me lose.
Uh oh. Does Netflix count as "reruns"? Are you going to have to change your subtitle?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:06 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:24 pm Welp, that means people can watch me lose.
Uh oh. Does Netflix count as "reruns"? Are you going to have to change your subtitle?
Those questions came to my mind too.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:47 pm I know it is possible to snag closed captioning from Netflix. If anyone knows a surefire way to snag the video itself, please PM me with it.
Watch on your computer and use the screen capture of ctrl G

(Weren’t you the one who told me about this?)

ETA: if your computer doesn’t support that, download Bandicam
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the new Netflix collection I watched the 2nd pilot: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1317

The sound effect for ending the round may be the worst thing I have ever heard on any game show. I'll take any up-speaking Midwesterner or heavy-accented Bostonian over that piercing shrill.

50-100-150-200-250 & 100-200-300-400-500 boards were wisely doubled for the official start of the Trebek era.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This promo aired tonight July 25th on KGO. Laur-aaaaa!

ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

A little late on this, but for Alex's birthday, the Cincinnati Reds' Twitter account used J!-themed fonts and answers throughout their game for the lineup & highlights. Two examples below:

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:30 pm A little late on this, but for Alex's birthday, the Cincinnati Reds' Twitter account used J!-themed fonts and answers throughout their game for the lineup & highlights. Two examples below:
Spoiler

The digital scoreboard crew are the truest unsung heroes of a ballgame. (Moreso than the organist because they do get recognized on occasion)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

alietr wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:26 pm Kudos to Mehrun. And I'm still bummed I missed this.

America Fell in Love With Jeopardy Again This Year in Washington the Romance Never Faded
Travis DeShong, The Washington Post wrote:During this season, the show’s 35th, 10 percent of the contestants have hailed from the District, according to a producer — tied for first place with New York City.
Final numbers for Season 35: DC tied for first among all (non-returning) contestants with New York, each having 39. In regular play, DC tied for first with LA with 37; New York had 33.

I intend to soon open up a thread with a post breaking down the numbers more fully (read: lightly edit the one I wrote for r/Jeopardy at the beginning of the week). (EDIT: here it is.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A J!-related survey on Family Feud from December and I caught part of the rerun today:

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:28 pm A J!-related survey on Family Feud from December and I caught part of the rerun today:

I would have gone with Garfield. It's supposed to be "100 people surveyed", right? The board totals only 66. Is there a threshold of 3 or something like that before a response is included?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Family Feud never uses singleton answers, and it's at their discretion how many top answers make the list the families guess at. It's not common for all the available answers to represent all 100 surveyed.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Mathew5000 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:10 am I would have gone with Garfield. It's supposed to be "100 people surveyed", right? The board totals only 66. Is there a threshold of 3 or something like that before a response is included?
This happens often in round 3 after one family takes the first two rounds. The producers limit the available points so that the family in the lead can’t win immediately.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Vermonter wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:13 pm
Mathew5000 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:10 am I would have gone with Garfield. It's supposed to be "100 people surveyed", right? The board totals only 66. Is there a threshold of 3 or something like that before a response is included?
This happens often in round 3 after one family takes the first two rounds. The producers limit the available points so that the family in the lead can’t win immediately.
Yeah I've never understood this. Has it ever been the case where the family that wins the last round doesn't win the game? Ever since they started tripling the last round, it's made the first two rounds pointless (i.e. it's impossible for a family to have a "lock" going into the last round)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From a column in The Washington Post:

I was stunned.

My family was watching a rerun of the “Teachers Tournament” on “Jeopardy!” I got excited because I knew the correct response to this question: “This proposed federal rule would have required all retirement planning advisers to act in their clients’ best interests.”

But before I could get my answer out, my 21-year-old son shouted, “What is the fiduciary rule?”

Wait. What’s happening?

I paused the television and just stared at him.

“How did you know that?” I asked.

He knew about the rule from watching HBO’s “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.” The comedian had done a show on retirement planning.

What came next made my heart flutter with joy. My son initiated a conversation about investing for his retirement. He wanted to know whether he should start saving by using money earned this summer as an intern at NASA.

Whole article is here: Millenials - It's Not Too Early For You to Start Investing Now
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Video of Alex giving an update on his health and kicking off the new season of J!

https://www.thewrap.com/alex-trebek-can ... season-36/

"It's going to be a good year" — Alex
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was reading an article on clouds and their effect on climate, when a familiar name popped up -- 2004 TOC champion Russ Schumacher:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/5/20699 ... eat-planet