Wednesday, May 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6383, 2012-05-23

Joel Pool game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Jody Clark, a retail associate from Garretson, South Dakota
Barb Hougas, a pharmacist originally from Denison, Iowa
Joel Pool, a real estate developer from Oakland, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $48,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, everybody. Some days, the magic works, as it did yesterday for Joel Pool, our champion. And as a result, he has a 2-day total just shy of 50 grand. Barb and Jody, hope you get to enjoy the same kind of, uh, good fortune as our champion. Here we go into the round, the Jeopardy! Round, which has one Daily Double, and today, you'll find it in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT'S OPENING NIGHT ON BROADWAY! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MORE THAN ONE MEANING (5/5)
TV LOCATIONS (5/5)
FRANKLY (4/5)
MADEIRA (4/5)
I DON'T GIVE A... (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end with the letters "A-M".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jody: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Barb: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Joel: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joel: $2,600
Jody: $2,000
Barb: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As you might expect, Jody Clark is a big Jeopardy! fan. In fact, in high school, he would play classroom Jeopardy! and would take on his entire class. Did you usually win?

Jody: Oh, all the way. I had the same instructor, uh, from the eighth grade through the senior year. And, uh, started about in the eighth grade. We took--divided the class in half. By my sophomore year, it was myself against the entire class for the last few years, so...

Alex: A little different out here, though, isn't it?

Jody: Oh, of course, definitely.

Alex: Okay. Good to have you here.

Alex: Barb Hougas, originally from Denison, Iowa, is an Air Force spouse...

Barb: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Of how many years now?

Barb: Oh, gosh, we've been married for 31 years.

Alex: And you've got four kids...

Barb: I do.

Alex: Who graduated from four different schools...

Barb: In four different states.

Alex: Four different--everything here at home?

Barb: Yes.

Alex: Have you spent any time abroad?

Barb: We were stationed in England for three years. Um, that was some time ago. It was from '88 to '91.

Alex: Near Mildenhall?

Barb: Uh, not far from there. We were at Alconbury, actually, which is closer to the Cambridge area.

Alex: It's great there, isn't it?

Barb: Beautiful.

Alex: Yeah, I love it.

Alex: Joel Pool--speaking of people who graduated from four different places, you have four members of your immediate family who were born in different countries? Different cities? What?

Joel: That's right. Morocco, Honduras, Philippines, and the United States.

Alex: Sounds like a military family to me.

Joel: Dad, uh, started out in the Air Force.

Alex: Air Force, also?

Joel: Right.

Alex: All right. Two Air Force people here. Great.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jody found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Joel had $2,600, Barb had $2,600, and Jody was at $3,600. Jody wagered $1,000.

IT'S OPENING NIGHT ON BROADWAY! $600: "The Wiz" opened on January 5, 1975; this other Oz-set musical on October 30, 2003

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I DON'T GIVE A... $800: Wrestling throw that puts an opponent on the canvas back-first
(Joel: What is a slam?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Joel: What is a grand slam?)
(Alex: No.)
[Laughter]

I DON'T GIVE A... $1000: Unit of troy weight; it's equal to 3.89 grams

FRANKLY $1000: Here's a photo of this American minimalist artist in his studio

MADEIRA $1000: When this captain's ship Endeavour stopped at Madeira, naturalist Joseph Banks explored the unique flora

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jody: $7,000
Barb: $3,000
Joel: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT THE X-RAY SHOWS (5/5)
A TOUCH OF ROBERT FROST IN THE AIR (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ENDS IN "TH" (4/4)
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION (5/5)
COMPANY NAMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LYRICS OF THE TOP 40 SONG (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joel: 10 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Barb: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Jody: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joel snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Joel had $3,600, Barb had $3,000, and Jody was at $7,400. Joel wagered $1,800.

COMPANY NAMES $1600: August Horch named his car company this after translating Horch, which means "hark!" or "hear", into Latin

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jody who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Joel had $10,600, Barb had $8,200, and Jody was at $15,000. Jody wagered $4,000.

A TOUCH OF ROBERT FROST IN THE AIR $2000: It's the Robert Frost poem that says, "Good fences make good neighbors"
(Jody: What is "Fences"?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COMPANY NAMES $1200: This toy company was named for its founders, siblings Henry & Helal Hassenfeld

LYRICS OF THE TOP 40 SONG $1200: 2006: "I was out of touch, but it wasn't because I didn't know enough, I just knew too much. Does that make me..."

LYRICS OF THE TOP 40 SONG $2000: 1981: "The hurt doesn't show, but the pain still grows, it's no stranger to you or me" (killer drum solo!)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Jody.)

A TOUCH OF ROBERT FROST IN THE AIR $1600: "My little horse must think it queer to stop without a farmhouse near", says the frosty poem with this 7-word title
(Joel: What is "On Taking the Road Less Traveled"?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jody: $11,000
Joel: $10,600
Barb: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANIMALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jody: Wager $10,201 to cover Joel.
Joel: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Barb, hoping that you give the correct response and Jody doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $5,801 to cover Barb's doubled score, but no more than $9,800 if you want to top Jody on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,399 and win if both Jody and Barb miss Final.
Barb: You ought to try wagering between $2,401 and $3,400. This will top a $0 wager by Joel while still beating Jody and Joel on the Triple Stumper (should Jody wager to cover Joel's doubled score and Joel wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2005 study reported that this animal named for an island has, pound-for-pound, the most powerful bite of any mammal

FINAL SCORES
Barb: $8,200 - $3,000 = $5,200 (What is the Komodo dragon?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Joel: $10,600 + $10,600 = $21,200 (What Tasmanian devil) (3-day champion: $69,600)
Jody: $11,000 - $10,100 = $900 (What is Komodo dragon) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: [Revealing Joel's response] Again, you didn't put the verb in. You--you have an aversion to verbs.)
[Laughter]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jody: $14,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Joel: $10,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Barb: $8,200, 14 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $33,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jody: 20/60 = .333
Joel: 17/59 = .288
Barb: 14/58 = .241
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I DON'T GIVE A... $200: Starchy tuber from Africa
(Jody: What is a...)
(Alex: Oh, it's too bad.)
[The time's-up signal sounds.]
(Jody: [*]. Sorry.)

I DON'T GIVE A... $400: The Mike O'Callaghan Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge is near this landmark

TV LOCATIONS $800: Before moving to Colorado, Mork from Ork first appeared on Earth in this city
(Alex: Yes, on Happy Days.)

MADEIRA $400: In the 1470s this explorer worked & lived in Madeira & married Felipa, the daughter of one of its governors
(Jody: Who is Vasco da Gama?)
(Joel: Who is Magellan?)

THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION $800: On April 19, 1775 British troops marched from Boston to destroy arms & gunpowder stored in this town
(Joel: What is Lexington?)

WHAT THE X-RAY SHOWS $400: As you can see from the position of their heads, the X-rays show a pair of these, born in 1954

WHAT THE X-RAY SHOWS $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew displays an X-ray on the monitor.) Probably due to osteoarthritis, artificial joints have been implanted here & here, indicating the patient had a total one of these surgeries

WHAT THE X-RAY SHOWS $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew displays an X-ray on the monitor.) In the X-ray, the little finger is clearly this, meaning the two bones here have become separated from the joint

WHAT THE X-RAY SHOWS $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew displays an X-ray on the monitor.) With the screws & pins in place, you can see it was a bad fracture of this leg bone
(Joel: What is the... ulna?)
(Jody: What is the femur?)
(Alex: It's fun when the, uh, competitors narrow it down for you, isn't it?)
(Barb: [Laughing] It is.)

ENDS IN "TH" $2000: This holiday celebrates the 1865 date when many Texas slaves learned they'd been emancipated
(Alex: That's it, June 19th.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Wicked
body slam
dram
Frank Stella
Captain Cook
Audi
"Mending Wall"
Hasbro
"Crazy"
"In The Air Tonight"
"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
Tasmanian devil
yam
Hoover Dam (the Boulder Dam accepted)
Milwaukee
(Christopher) Columbus
Concord
Siamese or conjoined twins
hip replacement
dislocated
the tibia
Juneteenth
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Animals
A 2005 study reported that this animal named for an island has, pound-for-pound, the most powerful bite of any mammal.
Spoiler
What is the Tasmanian devil? Barb and Jody both said Komodo dragon.
Jody Clark: $11,000-$10,100=$900
Joel Pool: $10,600+$10,600=$21,200...now a 3-day champion with $69,600
Barb Hougas: $8,200-$3,000=$5,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

FJ -- Not if I had 6 months to guess.

(Ulna? Really? In the leg?)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Did he really say 'ulna' was a bone in the leg? Sorry Alex, but that didn't help her narrow it down.

FJ took about 15 seconds (most of which was spent convincing myself it wasn't the Galapagos tortoise :oops: ), then it clicked. I'd like to say it's the result of years of study, but I'm pretty sure I just read it on Cracked recently. *shrug*

The word "is" seems to offend our champ.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I also thought of Komodo dragon for FJ, but rejected it at the last moment when I realized it wasn't a mammal. However, I would not have come up with the correct response even if I had more time.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I said Komodo initially before rereading the question and settling on Tasmanian Devil.

Even though they had some gaffes, they played the board pretty well I thought, with the exception of the lady not DD hunting later. Joel seems pretty solid, good not great, since he's not getting Frank Stella, Stopping by Woods, etc. It's nice to see back-to-back three day champs.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $69,600, Joel moves into seventh place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I really liked this board, though I had a mediocre game playing from home.

All I could think of for FJ was the Shetland Pony. I figured that it couldn't be right but I had nothing else to guess.

Joel has played pretty well; I am impressed by any contestant who comes up with the correct response to FJ clues in two consecutive games where the difficulties of the clues are average or harder. I could see him holding his own in the ToC.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Came up with Tasmanian devil immediately and couldn't come up with anything else I liked.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ for me.

Bad wagering by the male challenger. First on the last DD. He dropped himself to a point where he could be passed if the last clue had been played. Then he doesn't cover second place in FJ.
Attachments
taz-4.jpg
taz-4.jpg (24.9 KiB) Viewed 9229 times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, what made everyone go to Tasmania? Apparently, I'm one of the few clueless ones on this one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The word "island" made me first think of Australia, which led me to Tasmania. Nothing else came to mind.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I briefly flirted with Kodiak bear, but the "pound for pound" implied something diminutive. That got me to tasmanian devil pretty quickly. Makes up a bit for yesterday's miss. Animals has always been a good category for me.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

econgator wrote:So, what made everyone go to Tasmania? Apparently, I'm one of the few clueless ones on this one.
I approached the clue by running down the list of the largest islands in the world, so I got nowhere. Approaching it by thinking of animals that might fit the clue definitely wasn't going to help me. This was the type of clue where the correct response was going to click with me within a few seconds or I was going to be toast.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Would not have gotten FJ in a million years.

I"m rooting for everyone except Joel because I hate real estate developers.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

zakharov wrote:I"m rooting for everyone except Joel because I hate real estate developers.
Probably not a good place to use language like that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
zakharov wrote:I"m rooting for everyone except Joel because I hate real estate developers.
Probably not a good place to use language like that.

Brian
We're not allowed to talk about "rooting" around here? ;)
Bamaman wrote:
Bad wagering by the male challenger. First on the last DD. He dropped himself to a point where he could be passed if the last clue had been played. Then he doesn't cover second place in FJ.
I assume that Jody must have simply made a math error on the FJ wager, as surely he didn't intend to leave open the chance of losing by $100 if Joel doubled up. I was pleasantly surprised when Barb's FJ wager was revealed. She needed to bet more than $3,400 to win on a triple stumper if both leading players made the MSB, and I figured she would bet at least $2,800 to surpass the leaders pre-FJ total, and what does she bet? $3,000, right in the sweet spot. The way I was completely baffled by the FJ clue even after pausing the game for a good 2-3 minutes made me think that there was a pretty strong chance that it might be a triple stumper, and that her $5,200 just might make her the winner. Nice get by Joel, and since Barb happened to make a smart wager, his all-in didn't look as unwise as it sometimes does, it wound up making for a very nice payday for him, and it could prove quite beneficial when it comes to the TOC standings. Joel's 3-day total, before FJ, is $35,600. His overall total is $69,600, meaning he's improved his scores by 95.5% in FJ. I'm betting it's pretty unlikely that anyone has ever gone all-in and won 3 days in a row, but he's come just about as close as I'd guess anyone ever has.

I had absolutely no clue where to go with that FJ clue. I spent most of that 2-3 minutes trying to think of what that one famous animal is that is named for an island, but when I finally came up with the Galapagos turtle, I realized it wasn't a mammal, and then still didn't even have a remotely plausible guess. Zeroing in on pound-for-pound and mammal, I tried to think of smaller mammals, such as rodents, bats, rabbits, but couldn't come up with anything with any type of geographic term in its name, and Tasmanian devil was certainly nowhere on my radar screen. I'd be interesting in hearing if anyone could even come up with another possible answer that actually fit all parts of the clue. The closest I can come even after lots of time is the Madagascar hissing cockroach, which certainly is no mammal, but I like that answer better than Komodo dragon, also not a mammal, at least for the pound-for-pound part of the clue. Do cockroaches bite? (According to Wikpedia, the answer is no, at least not that species.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:I'd be interesting in hearing if anyone could even come up with another possible answer that actually fit all parts of the clue.
Shetland pony? Manx?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Shetland pony, Manx cat, Kodiak bear, Irish setter are all breeds or subspecies - and I don't sense they would work with the gist of the question.

Now, Javan or Sumatran rhino would.