Monday, July 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
David Livingstone wrote of this discovery of his, “Scenes so lovely must have been gazed upon by angels in their flight”

Jason Zuffranieri: 27600-9000=18600 (2x = $45,200)
James Pelayo: 18000-17990=10
Cristina Somolinos: 7000-6789=211

Correct response:
Spoiler
Victoria Falls (Jason – source of the Nile) (James – Kilimanjaro) (Cristina – Timbuktu)

Daily Doubles
James: 4200-2000
James: 12600+3000
Jason: 19400+5000

Coryats
Jason: 23800
James: 18600
Cristina: 7000

Combined: 49,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 5400
James: 5400
Cristina: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Definitely the audience reaction at Alex's entrance was more hearty than usual, not that it is ever weak.

Alex said the reruns would be six weeks with both teens, All-Stars, and Teachers. That's 8 weeks so two weeks will be shaved somewhere. My listings forwarded to next Monday show First Week of Teens from November, so I would expect the second week to be shown as well.

Po-ta-toes!

The players shot up today's board all over the place skipping around and the gentlemen made it hard for Cristina to keep up with them. The 49,400 combined Coryat shows the material was mostly favorable to the contestants.

Until the FJ! round. I anticipated the misses by the guys as possible either by contestants or board members here. Cristina's miss was not one I had in the mix for possibility of appearing.

My writing went better as I was scribbling as soon as I saw David Livingstone. Perhaps I learned something from catching bits here and there over the years growing up when my dad (let's just say more than once) watched the Spencer Tracy film, Stanley and Livingstone. I don't think any credit goes to Stanley Livingston in Tennessee Tuxedo. :lol:

Jason's big hit on DD3 was enough for him to be in position to survive a miss and force James to get it right. Hope Cristina enjoys the extra $1000 as 211 held up for second place.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

I don't understand James' FJ bet. Wouldn't $9,601 have been optimal? That's enough to take first place if Jason gets FJ wrong or bets $0, yet it is also enough to keep second place if Cristina gets FJ wrong.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Comments on if "source of the Nile" should have been accepted?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:09 pm Comments on if "source of the Nile" should have been accepted?
Why would it be? Victoria Falls is not the source of the Nile.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:52 pmWhy would it be?
Whoops, I was mixing up Victora Falls with Lake Victoria as the then presumed source of the Nile. (Victoria Falls is nowhere near Lake Victoria. Water does exit Lake Victoria by waterfalls, but those are called Ripon Falls, not Victoria Falls.)
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Prologue acceptable for epigraph?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Right queen, wrong landmark.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget FJ :mrgreen:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Xu Donym wrote: I don't understand James' FJ bet. Wouldn't $9,601 have been optimal? That's enough to take first place if Jason gets FJ wrong or bets $0, yet it is also enough to keep second place if Cristina gets FJ wrong.
Since he was already at risk of being passed by Cristina if he missed with a $9,601 wager, $10,999 would still force her to get it correct.
willwc
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by willwc »

Xu Donym wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:27 pm I don't understand James' FJ bet. Wouldn't $9,601 have been optimal? That's enough to take first place if Jason gets FJ wrong or bets $0, yet it is also enough to keep second place if Cristina gets FJ wrong.
Assuming a sensible lockout wager from Jason (in the $8401-9599 range), James would have to get FJ correct and get a miss from Jason to win. While a wager for James in the range of $1200-4000 would be enough for him to win if that scenario happens and stay ahead of Cristina regardless of who answers correctly, I think his larger wager is defensible in a situation where you have to get it right to win--gaining an extra $18k if you do win is worth it versus the potential loss of $1k in 2nd/3rd place prize money if you're wrong.
davey

Post by davey »

jpr281 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:32 pm Prologue acceptable for epigraph?
They didn't accept "foreword," so I don't see why they'd take "prologue," which is not commonly used with poems, and wouldn't likely consist of a "quotation," as the clue required.

I'm proud of getting this FJ just from pondering the description in the clue...though with only seconds left!
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Pretty exciting game! I liked seeing Jason and James duke it out against each other on that buzzer (and they even both had the EXACT same number of correct and incorrect responses, too!). But that FJ was tough as nails, and so it unfortunately meant trouble for James. Cristina had a hard time competing against these two very competent players, though her coryat of $7,000 isn't too bad.

Good job to Jason for becoming a 2-day champion. Wish you luck tomorrow!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was a good game, as have been the last few. Does anyone really miss seeing the game over by the end of SJ, if not the first break? Emma did us all a great favor. Not throwing shade at James, but he did suck up all the oxygen.

I couldn't pull the C-X words out for some reason. Usually these things are easy. And then another wordplay category in anagrams. I can't believe how fast the contestants can pull them out. Even if i know it from the clue I have to stare at the letters too long to confirm it. I'm only playing on the clue.

I got FJ with pretty good confidence. I'm a little surprised it was a TS, but there is probably a lot less of the white male conquering/exploring narrative being taught these days. In some cases the historical revisionists are bringing truth to power.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TheOtherJames
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by TheOtherJames »

willwc wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 pm
Xu Donym wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:27 pm I don't understand James' FJ bet. Wouldn't $9,601 have been optimal? That's enough to take first place if Jason gets FJ wrong or bets $0, yet it is also enough to keep second place if Cristina gets FJ wrong.
Assuming a sensible lockout wager from Jason (in the $8401-9599 range), James would have to get FJ correct and get a miss from Jason to win. While a wager for James in the range of $1200-4000 would be enough for him to win if that scenario happens and stay ahead of Cristina regardless of who answers correctly, I think his larger wager is defensible in a situation where you have to get it right to win--gaining an extra $18k if you do win is worth it versus the potential loss of $1k in 2nd/3rd place prize money if you're wrong.
That's me you're talking about. :o

I had honed my betting strategy using Keith Williams' excellent YouTube series, The Final Wager, and very quickly arrived at a first-order optimal wager of $3999, which I wrote down on the screen.

I stood there looking at it, and it didn't feel right. I had the following thoughts:

1) Jason is a math teacher, an aggressive player who bet $5000 on a DD, and a confident player who has won at least one game. He's not going to give up control of his own destiny, particularly in a seemingly pedestrian category like Landmarks.

2) Assuming P(FJ correct) = 2/3 for both Jason and myself, the small bet is 7/9 likely to gain $1000 (over) 3rd place and 2/9 likely to gain $22000. The large bet is 7/9 likely to gain nothing and 2/9 likely to gain $35000. (7 + 2*22) < 2*35.

3) I don't need $1000 that badly.

4) I LOVE GEOGRAPHY.

I asked for the screen to be reset, and I changed my wager to all but a sawbuck.

Except it wasn't really a geography question: it relied on knowledge of Livingstone's quote, which does not give much hint as to the type of landmark being described. Lake Victoria was actually my first instinct, but it seemed a poor match for such lofty words.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

TheOtherJames wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:34 am

I had honed my betting strategy using Keith Williams' excellent YouTube series, The Final Wager, and very quickly arrived at a first-order optimal wager of $3999, which I wrote down on the screen.

I stood there looking at it, and it didn't feel right. I had the following thoughts:

1) Jason is a math teacher, an aggressive player who bet $5000 on a DD, and a confident player who has won at least one game. He's not going to give up control of his own destiny, particularly in a seemingly pedestrian category like Landmarks.

2) Assuming P(FJ correct) = 2/3 for both Jason and myself, the small bet is 7/9 likely to gain $1000 (over) 3rd place and 2/9 likely to gain $22000. The large bet is 7/9 likely to gain nothing and 2/9 likely to gain $35000. (7 + 2*22) < 2*35.

4) I LOVE GEOGRAPHY.

I asked for the screen to be reset, and I changed my wager to all but a sawbuck.

Except it wasn't really a geography question: it relied on knowledge of Livingstone's quote, which does not give much hint as to the type of landmark being described. Lake Victoria was actually my first instinct, but it seemed a poor match for such lofty words.
Good explanation James. I honestly think you made a good call, especially given that you were well within reach of taking over Jason. Sorry you didn't win your game, but congrats to you for making it to the show!
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Shocked by the Vonnegut TS on Slaughterhouse-Five. It's easily his most famous novel and the opening line references the plot device. I was surprised it was even in the bottom row. Maybe that's what threw off the contestants?

Didn't really land on an answer for FJ. Thought of Victora Falls but also Kilimanjaro and didn't really settle on either.

If I were the producers, I'd have chosen to rerun some of James Holzhauer's best games instead of both teen tournaments, but that's just me.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

TheOtherJames wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:34 am

4) I LOVE GEOGRAPHY.

You played a great game in one of the better match ups of the season. Wish we could have seen more of you.