Season 36 Changes & Predictions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Season 36 Changes & Predictions

Post by Robert K S »

For reference I compiled a "long list" (more inclusive) and a "short list" (limited to invitations of only U.S. regular play winners) of special invitational events. Dividing the number of years elapsed since the first special tournament (Super Jeopardy! in 1990) by the number of events on the short list gives 4.83, or approximately 5. The longest dry stretches were between the 10th Anniversary Tournament and the Million Dollar Masters (8.5 years) and between the UToC and the Battle of the Decades (9 years) but in the former case (as seen on the long list) there were all sorts of international tournaments and other special play to fill in the dry spell, and in the latter case there was the celebrity invitational and the Watson exhibition. I was surprised to be reminded how soon after the M$M the UToC was held (less than three years).
Spoiler
1990 Super Jeopardy! (June 16-September 8)
1993 10th Anniversary Tournament (November 29-December 3)
1996 Olympic Games Tournament (July 15-18)
1997 International Tournament (May 5-9 from Stockholm, Sweden)
1998 Celebrity Invitational (April 27-May 1)
1998 Teen Reunion Tournament (November 16-20 from the Wang Theater in Boston, Massachusetts)
2001 International Championship (February 12-16 from the Las Vegas Hilton in Las Vegas, Nevada)
2002 Million Dollar Masters tournament (May 1-14 from Radio City Music Hall, New York, New York)
2005 Ultimate Tournament of Champions (February 9-May 25)
2008 Kids Week Reunion (September 15-19)
2009-2010 Million Dollar Celebrity Invitational (September 17, October 15, November 19, December 17, January 21, Febuary 18, March 18, April 15, April 16, May 3-7)
2011 The IBM Challenge (Ken Jennings vs. Watson vs. Brad Rutter) (February 14-16, from the T.J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, New York)
2014 Battle of the Decades tournament (February 3-7, March 3-7, March 31-April 4, May 5-16)
2019 All-Star Games (February 20-March 5)
Spoiler
1990 Super Jeopardy! (June 16-September 8)
1993 10th Anniversary Tournament (November 29-December 3)
2002 Million Dollar Masters tournament (May 1-14 from Radio City Music Hall, New York, New York)
2005 Ultimate Tournament of Champions (February 9-May 25)
2014 Battle of the Decades tournament (February 3-7, March 3-7, March 31-April 4, May 5-16)
2019 All-Star Games (February 20-March 5)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:31 pm I think the show thinks of special invitation tournaments as like a five-year thing, so let's keep our eyes peeled for Season 40 in 2023...
Given Brad's and especially Ken's ages, plus the public demand, I can't see the show waiting anywhere near that long for the James-Ken-Brad matchup. I would expect to see a small affair, perhaps with just those 3, as early as the tail end of S36.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:29 pm Perhaps after the ToC and James wins it all or at least is a semi-finalist or finalist, they can do the 3-week UToC. Or another idea I have in mind for Season 36 instead of the UToC is a second iteration of the Million Dollar Masters Tournament being held at DAR Constitution Hall in May just before Power Players Week. The three Jeopardy! giants - Brad, Ken, and James - would obviously be invited back. But no one receives byes to the semifinals or the finals. And the twelve other contestants invited back are the biggest winner's of prior seasons after Ken's run or semifinalists/finalists/winners in prior ToC's following Ken's winning streak. If this tournament were to occur, I can still bet on the finals being a James vs. Ken vs. Brad matchup; and I can also bet on James winning the $1M prize and becoming the first human to defeat Brad Rutter (though Rutter would still hold the record as the highest money winner on Jeopardy!).

The 15 players competing in the second Million Dollar Masters Tournament:

- Brad Rutter
- Ken Jennings
- James Holzhauer
- David Madden
- Julia Collins
- Larissa Kelly
- Dan Pawson
- Ben Ingram
- Roger Craig
- Buzzy Cohen
- Austin Rogers
- Matt Jackson
- Seth Wilson
- Tom Nissley
- Jason Keller
Criminal not to include Alex Jacob imo. Or Colby Burnett. Put them in over Wilson and Keller and you got a tournament imo.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:18 pmI was surprised to be reminded how soon after the M$M the BotD was held (less than three years).
I think you mean the UToC (2005) and not the BotD (2014).
jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Updated list for the possible second MDMT:

- Brad Rutter
- Ken Jennings
- James Holzhauer
- David Madden
- Julia Collins
- Larissa Kelly
- Dan Pawson
- Ben Ingram
- Roger Craig
- Buzzy Cohen
- Austin Rogers
- Matt Jackson
- Alex Jacob
- Tom Nissley
- Colby Burnett
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:40 pm Updated list for the possible second MDMT:

- Brad Rutter
- Ken Jennings
- James Holzhauer
- David Madden
- Julia Collins
- Larissa Kelly
- Dan Pawson
- Ben Ingram
- Roger Craig
- Buzzy Cohen
- Austin Rogers
- Matt Jackson
- Alex Jacob
- Tom Nissley
- Colby Burnett
Back to the drawing board as the powers would look for it to not be so heavy on the male/white factor.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm not interested in another tournament full of people we've already seen. I won't be for several years. Meanwhile, if they want to have an exhibition match for charity with Rutter, Jennings, and Holzhauer, ok fine. That's the most I'm up for right now.

If they want to bring back past contestants, let's have a Tournament of Losers. Pick people who obviously coulda been contenders if only one small thing had gone their way.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

And I'll also update my list of participants in a possible 2020 UToC:

- Vijay Balse
- Ben Ingram
- Julia Collins
- Larissa Kelly
- Roger Craig
- Colby Burnett
- Dan Pawson
- Buzzy Cohen,
- Austin Rogers
- Tom Nissley
- Joon Pahk
- Jason Keller
- Arthur Chu
- David Madden
- Stefan Goodreau
- Celeste DiNucci
- Jason Zollinger
- Justin Sausville
- Alan Lin
- Michael Falk (winner of 2006 ToC)
- Aaron Schroeder
- Justin Bernbach

- James Holzhauerª
- Brad Rutterº
- Ken Jenningsº

ª — denotes a player who receives a bye to the finals
º — denotes a player who receives a bye to the semifinals
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

GoodStrategy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:04 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:18 pmI was surprised to be reminded how soon after the M$M the BotD was held (less than three years).
I think you mean the UToC (2005) and not the BotD (2014).
Yes, edited to correct
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

A Brad vs. Ken vs. James matchup would be more exciting to see in a tournament rather than an exhibition, IMO. Furthermore, James becoming a giant killer and the first human opponent to defeat Brad Rutter would then count towards official show records. Brad losing to Ken and Watson didn't count because the IBM Challenge was an exhibition.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Taping begins tomorrow (Monday), and I wonder if anyone who attends a taping will tell us if there is new theme music or if the set gets slightly changed. I'm especially curious to what the new title card will look like for S36
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:55 am Taping begins tomorrow (Monday), and I wonder if anyone who attends a taping will tell us if there is new theme music or if the set gets slightly changed. I'm especially curious to what the new title card will look like for S36
I doubt there will be new theme music. However, the set has been the same for the past 6 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a set change, especially since it has been a few months since S35 finished taping.
Douglas Squasoni
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:17 am
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:55 am Taping begins tomorrow (Monday), and I wonder if anyone who attends a taping will tell us if there is new theme music or if the set gets slightly changed. I'm especially curious to what the new title card will look like for S36
I doubt there will be new theme music. However, the set has been the same for the past 6 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a set change, especially since it has been a few months since S35 finished taping.
Is there another reason why Jeopardy! retired Steve Kaplan's music after Season 24 concluded, other than the following season being the show's 25th anniversary? I can only imagine that rights to the previous music package expired at the end of S24 because it was in use for 10 seasons. The original main theme from the previous package lasted from the beginning of S14 until midway through S17 when it was re-arranged, but the 1997-2008 Think! music remained.

Earlier on this thread, I mentioned that I've expected there to be new theme music next season because it's been a little more than ten years since the current music package debuted. And a year ago, I even anticipated a new music package debuting the first episode of 2019 just because Wheel of Fortune debuted its current music package January 2017.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

the set has been the same for the past 6 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a set change, especially since it has been a few months since S35 finished taping.
Other than the current set, there were other sets that lasted for at least 6 seasons:

• 1985-1981 set — initially had the Jeopardy! letters in white neon, but then changed to gold in 1986
• 1996-2002 "sushi bar" set
• 2002-2009 "metallic" set — this was the longest running set on the show, lasted for 7 seasons; it underwent several minor changes in 2006 when the show began broadcasting in HD
LucarioSnooperVixey

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 am • 1985-1981 set
You mean 1991.
Douglas Squasoni
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Has anyone just attended the first taping for Season 36?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

(Lifted from J!'s Twitter) Set looks the same to me:
Spoiler
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

What a shame. It’s definitely time for a new set. Maybe that will happen in November like it did in 1996 and 2002
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Is there a new music package or are they still using the current one?

Also, the new title card looks like a cross between Season 15 and Season 34.
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 pm (Lifted from J!'s Twitter) Set looks the same to me:
Spoiler
One year from now will be Alex's 80th birthday, and also my parents' Silver Wedding Anniversary. :D
Douglas Squasoni