Tuesday, July 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TOYS & GAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The prototype for this game that was introduced in 1948 was called Lexiko

Jason Zuffranieri: 18600+11500=30100 (3x = $75,300)
Peggy Robin: 12400+0=12400
John Myers: 15000+14998=29998

Correct response:
Spoiler
Scrabble (John added Hi Nolan! [to his son])

Daily Doubles
Peggy: 3200+2000
Jason: 9800+2000
John: 11000+4000

Coryats
Jason: 18600
Peggy: 11400
John: 11800

Combined: 41,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 8200
Peggy: 7200
John: 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jason opened up with a run of BRITISH LITERATURE. John could have taken the lead at DD3 though 11000+4000 left him 2000 shy of Jason with three clues remaining. With the DD in the second box and the board almost played out that is the time to go for it. Instead John decided to go big in the typical spot of big wagers in second place in the FJ! round.

The FJ! category had me optimistic whether it was toys or games as I like both. The clue had "Lexiko" which indicated some kind of word game. That had 3/3 written all over it and the players all converted it. Previous J! clues have used "Criss Cross" as an origin name so the writers have various way to revisit the same material.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

John didn't play the game to win with that DD wager.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:13 am John could have taken the lead at DD3...
...instead John decided to go big in the typical spot of big wagers in second place in the FJ! round.
*sigh*...maybe he thought he was leaving himself a chance to get back to 50% if he got it wrong? Meh. 3 more games to go. Maybe we'll start seeing bigger DD wagers next season, but I doubt it.

Instaget FJ.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I've decided I'm tired of yelling wagering advice at the TV when the contestants almost never listen. So this game I decided to start yelling, "Bet $2000! Bet $2000!" I was rewarded twice by contestants following my instructions. The third time, John decided to bet $4000. So I yelled, "You'll be sorry!!!" And I was right.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Note for early bird watchers on CBS All Access or those who check this board for results: Mueller is scheduled to testify at 8:30 eastern tomorrow morning which will likely affect the WAKA slot out of Montgomery.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:17 pm Note for early bird watchers on CBS All Access or those who check this board for results: Mueller is scheduled to testify at 8:30 eastern tomorrow morning which will likely affect the WAKA slot out of Montgomery.
WAKA? Is that the Fozzie Bear channel?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Started off with an 0/5 in British Literature. I didn't know Chaucer was British.

Ran Company Ads & Slogans.

Surprisingly only 1/5 in Grammy. I clammed on "Michelle" because I knew it was not a single, and therefore didn't think it was Grammy-eligible.

El Dorado was a facepalm miss on my part. I don't think it surfaced because I didn't know El Dorado was a city. Ended up bombing the category by clamming on Atlantis and Shangri-La, then blanking on Watership Down.

"Biofuel" joins the "NHOI in the top box" pile.

Had a slow start in DJ!, but made up for it with all but $1,200 in German.

Lexico -> words -> Scrabble. Easy.

Lach Trash: underwear, Nevada, Diesel
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Were there two clues about "Watership Down" today? I'm not really sure but I thought there was one in the J round in "British Literature" and one in the DJ round for "Legendary" or whatever the category was with Shangri-La and Atlantis.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
dcbird
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by dcbird »

Yeah, I was thinking El Dorado but my brain was already racing ahead to other fantasy lands and so I blurted out Shangri-la, which was an answer later on....and Jason rang in first for that one. Was kicking myself over that mistake....and for not betting it all when I hit the one daily double (with Wells Fargo as the answer). I knew going into my game that I was going to have to force myself to bet big, but I just didn't have that much confidence in the category. But the main thing is that Jason had me on buzzer timing/speed the whole game. John took a while to hit his stride, but then, like me, on his one daily double, he was not quite confident enough to bet it all. After seeing the whole game on TV tonight, I think I could have played faster and bet bigger but Jason still would have won. Just was better than both of us in a few key categories. He's a really bright guy and a nice guy too. I was sitting in the audience after my game was over and talking to his mom (I think she's about my age!)...and she's really proud of him. BTW, he's only recently become a math teacher. Before that, he was a rocket scientist. Not kidding! - Peggy Robin, contestant.

>>El Dorado was a facepalm miss on my part. I don't think it surfaced because I didn't know El Dorado was a city. Ended up bombing the category by clamming on Atlantis and Shangri-La, then blanking on Watership Down.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The Zuffranieri train keeps rolling ;) . He must be at the end of the alphabet in every roll call in every class ever :lol: .

Pretty easy FJ. For some reason I went to Tinker Toys first and then unwound the lexicography. At least it wasn't a trap question like the game of Life which is way over a century old instead of just being crappy for the last 50 years.

No comments yet about the illegal shout-out?

3 more days and I have to find some other appointment television to decay in front of :lol:
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

John completely blew it at the end there by deciding to only risk $4K on that 2nd DJ DD. He had the perfect opportunity right there to pull the rug out from under Jason and to cause him to scramble, but instead he went FAR too conservative. He basically assured his loss at that point.

But even though Jason lucked out today, he still played very well. Congrats on becoming a 3-day champ man!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

dcbird wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:07 pm Yeah, I was thinking El Dorado but my brain was already racing ahead to other fantasy lands and so I blurted out Shangri-la, which was an answer later on....and Jason rang in first for that one. Was kicking myself over that mistake....and for not betting it all when I hit the one daily double (with Wells Fargo as the answer). I knew going into my game that I was going to have to force myself to bet big, but I just didn't have that much confidence in the category. But the main thing is that Jason had me on buzzer timing/speed the whole game. John took a while to hit his stride, but then, like me, on his one daily double, he was not quite confident enough to bet it all. After seeing the whole game on TV tonight, I think I could have played faster and bet bigger but Jason still would have won. Just was better than both of us in a few key categories. He's a really bright guy and a nice guy too. I was sitting in the audience after my game was over and talking to his mom (I think she's about my age!)...and she's really proud of him. BTW, he's only recently become a math teacher. Before that, he was a rocket scientist. Not kidding! - Peggy Robin, contestant.

>>El Dorado was a facepalm miss on my part. I don't think it surfaced because I didn't know El Dorado was a city. Ended up bombing the category by clamming on Atlantis and Shangri-La, then blanking on Watership Down.
Your intensity and competitive spirit made you a fun watch.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

dcbird wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:07 pm Yeah, I was thinking El Dorado but my brain was already racing ahead to other fantasy lands and so I blurted out Shangri-la, which was an answer later on....and Jason rang in first for that one. Was kicking myself over that mistake....and for not betting it all when I hit the one daily double (with Wells Fargo as the answer). I knew going into my game that I was going to have to force myself to bet big, but I just didn't have that much confidence in the category. But the main thing is that Jason had me on buzzer timing/speed the whole game. John took a while to hit his stride, but then, like me, on his one daily double, he was not quite confident enough to bet it all. After seeing the whole game on TV tonight, I think I could have played faster and bet bigger but Jason still would have won. Just was better than both of us in a few key categories. He's a really bright guy and a nice guy too. I was sitting in the audience after my game was over and talking to his mom (I think she's about my age!)...and she's really proud of him. BTW, he's only recently become a math teacher. Before that, he was a rocket scientist. Not kidding! - Peggy Robin, contestant.

Wow, very fascinating stuff! You played very well, Peggy, and the three of you all made this game exciting and interesting. Now that I know Jason was a rocket scientist before becoming a math teacher, I'm rooting for him all the way and I hope he'll last at least until Friday that way he can join the 2020/2021 TOC with Ryan Bilger and Sam Kavanaugh!

Also, on a side note, I found your contestant interview to be quite hilarious. Though maybe it's because I'm very much a kid at heart. LOL.
Leander

Post by Leander »

For some reason, I thought Scrabble was much older than 1948 and negbait. I went with Pictionary. :oops:
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

25 right.
12 in single jeopardy, 13 in double jeopardy.
Got a lot of lach trash.
Knew final jeopardy straight up, but didn’t see how you could figure it out if you didn’t.
LT: underwear, Nevada, El Dorado, declined, snub.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:29 pm Were there two clues about "Watership Down" today? I'm not really sure but I thought there was one in the J round in "British Literature" and one in the DJ round for "Legendary" or whatever the category was with Shangri-La and Atlantis.
No, but I guessed it for the clue in the J round.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:16 am Knew final jeopardy straight up, but didn’t see how you could figure it out if you didn’t.
Very easily. Etymologically, "lex" implies a word game. Plus, "Lexulous" (formerly "Scrabulous") was the big Scrabble knock-off app before "Words with Friends" became dominant.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide