Wednesday, July 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN’S AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This author & illustrator who won the 1964 Caldecott Medal was dubbed the “Picasso of children’s books”

Jason Zuffranieri: 18400+11600=30000 (4x = $105,300)
Michelle Bruck: 3000-0=3000
Corin Purifoy: 14200-8100=6100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Maurice Sendak (Michelle – Carl) (Corin – Carle)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 5200-5200
Michelle: 4200-2000
Jason: 11600+4000

Coryats
Jason: 21200
Michelle: 5000
Corin: 14200

Combined: 40,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 3600
Michelle: 600
Corin: 5800
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In a case of nothing ventured, nothing gained, I checked Cleveland, MS at 10:00 and they aired J! as scheduled. I guess the first three hours of testimony was enough down there. Much obliged to the decision makers.

Easy thing to learn when going on J! is guys on U.S. coins and currency. Do it. The man on the $500 bill should not go TS.

Alex Jacob will get flashbacks when he hears the clue with the guitar riff.

The FJ! category had me optimistic as it was near certainty I would be familiar with the name and decent odds I had read at least one thing by the correct person. My precall had Dr. Seuss as a possible since J! likes him as well as the correct and incorrect names that the players wrote.

I matched Jason and put my pen down while during think music I mentally debated if the author that Michelle & Corin ended up writing could be possible.

Yes, we can see why J! put an early finalization on the ToC field as Rachel Lindgren did not need the Beryl (only woman in ToC #2) Arbit treatment. Setting the line to keep Anneke and Lindsey in for the upcoming ToC as well as adding Emma keeps the event from being an outchange special.

Nice work by Jason to demonstrate why farming DD1 is worth it. He made up the setback with room to spare.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I checked again on the WXVT affiliate and they are back on the testimony. Nice work by the station manager to show the love for J! as so many stations would not do that half hour break.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My only guess for FJ was Caldecott, though I figured that I would be in the wrong time period. I can't say that I have ever heard of the challengers' response.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

StevenH wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:57 pm My only guess for FJ was Caldecott, though I figured that I would be in the wrong time period. I can't say that I have ever heard of the challengers' response.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar, among others.

I gave Sendak as a correct response when I was on the show, but I had nothing here. Shame on me.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I matched Jason with Red Sea instead of Dead. I can't believe I didn't make the connection with "caves".

FJ: :mrgreen:
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

One of Friday's contestants is a children's book author who has also edited bestselling children's books by other authors, including my sister-in-law, Amy Ignatow. I can just imagine the amount of controversy that would happen if this FJ had been on Friday's episode.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

StevenH wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:57 pm My only guess for FJ was Caldecott, though I figured that I would be in the wrong time period. I can't say that I have ever heard of the challengers' response.
Well, if anybody was ever worthy.

I had never heard of Carle, either. I did guess Sendak and my only other thought was Richard Scarry (who never won, wtf). But I decided Scarry was more like Marc or Rousseau than Picasso.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:13 pm I had never heard of Carle, either. I did guess Sendak and my only other thought was Richard Scarry (who never won, wtf). But I decided Scarry was more like Marc or Rousseau than Picasso.
I've never heard of Carle either. Sendak was an instaget for me. I've probably read Where the Wild Things Are more than any other book in my life. I think I kept it perpetually checked out of the Farmingdale Public Library. :)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:13 pm
Well, if anybody was ever worthy.

I had never heard of Carle, either. I did guess Sendak and my only other thought was Richard Scarry (who never won, wtf). But I decided Scarry was more like Marc or Rousseau than Picasso.

Oh wow, oops. I totally missed the name in the clue!
davey

Post by davey »

I'm another who didn't know who Carle is, though I've heard of his famous book, of course. Sendak's work isn't particularly reminiscent of Picasso, but no author/illustrator has a higher reputation - there's currently an exhibition of his theatrical designs at the Morgan Library in NY - so I thought this was pretty easy...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:31 pm I'm another who didn't know who Carle is, though I've heard of his famous book, of course. Sendak's work isn't particularly reminiscent of Picasso, but no author/illustrator has a higher reputation - there's currently an exhibition of his theatrical designs at the Morgan Library in NY - so I thought this was pretty easy...
Sendak was my first thought even though, as you say, he's not particularly Picasso-esque. Still, he just seemed right somehow. So I stuck with him but spent the Think music wondering if I should be switching to Dr. Seuss. I know who Carle is but that name never occurred to me. If he had, I would have thought (wrongly, it turns out) that 1964 was way too early for him to be a possibility.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Thought of Shel Silverstein first and stood pat. His The Giving Tree was published in '64.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Great comeback by Jason! Got a little worried after he missed his TDD in the Jeopardy round, but he came back strong and hard after that and fought off a tough challenger in Corin!

Hope he'll win tomorrow; don't want another victim of the 4-game curse!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I first thought of Dr. Seuss, but I was quite sure he hadn't won a Caldecott (If I Ran the Zoo was a runner-up in 1951 and got the Caldecott Honor instead). Then I thought of Maurice Sendak and Ezra Jack Keats, either simultaneously or in an order I've already forgotten. I thought a Keats comparison to Picasso was slightly more apt, but didn't think his name was famous enough for FJ and I said Sendak. As it turns out, Keats's The Snowy Day got the Caldecott Medal in 1963.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore’s Conjecture. The second-place player bet “small.” —Bob
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:34 pm I matched Jason with Red Sea instead of Dead. I can't believe I didn't make the connection with "caves".

FJ: :mrgreen:
I made the connection the old-fashioned way. Qumran was the name of the place occupied by the community of Essenes and produced the scrolls that became known as the Dead Sea Scrolls. I also recognized the photo of Bonnie Parker and made the quick connection (they said it rhymed) to Ma Barker. Pretty good couple of gets, which were prologue to my epic stand-and-stare on the FJ. As soon as I saw that category I knew I was dead meat. Wagged Shel Silverstein. Also got McKinley the old-fashioned way, not because I memorized what faces are on what currency, but because I recognized the likeness of the president.

Jason keeps streaking along to what is now a very nice run. I wonder whether he'll be able to spend six weeks after Friday's game as 6-time champion, basking in his accomplishment.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

My first thought for FJ was Shel Silverstein, but he didn't seem the least bit Picasso-like. I switched to Sendak in plenty of time.
Teems with quiet fun.