Thursday, July 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1970s ALBUM REVIEWS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Rolling Stone said this 1976 album had “the best & worst tendencies of L.A.-situated rock” & was an “unflattering portrait of the milieu”

Jason Zuffranieri: 14400-10000=4400 (5x = $109,700)
Eric Kaplan: 12000-12000=0
Shari Meyer: 6000-6000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Hotel California (Jason – Exile on Main Street) (Eric – Rumors) (Shari – What is?)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 600+1000
Eric: 4400+4000
Jason: 15200-4000

Coryats
Jason: 18200
Eric: 9200
Shari: 6000

Combined: 33,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 6000
Eric: 6800
Shari: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jason was 1/3 on big clues and losing 4000 on DD3 and 10000 on FJ! is not the best path to a victory. Either Eric or Shari could have won the game by betting small in the FJ! round. Nope, double all-ins which is seen all the time. Jason gets to close out the season at the champ's spot.

The FJ! category had me wishing for some kind of movie soundtrack like Saturday Night Fever or Grease. The clue had me doubly wrong as to have something I thought fit 1976 wrote, "Peter Frampton Comes Alive." Wrong artist and incorrect album title as "Peter" is not there.

For trying to solve the clue I was trying to recall things I remembered Casey Kasem talking about such as all-time album sales. Rumours (hard to tell if Eric had "Rumor" or "Rumors" or perhaps even a "u" was squeezed in there) may be the best wrong guess? It was of the 1976 time frame like my bad guess.

"Exile on Main Street" by the Rolling Stones in the early 1970s is further off base though beats the nothing Shari had.

It will be interesting to see the wide range of incorrect responses this clue generates as I it could imagine it stretching from the Doors to the Go-Gos.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I guessed right, but I thought Hotel California was earlier than that, so no confidence.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

This was an instaget for me, but the Eagles are my favorite band. Hotel the song I think has been discussed pretty widely as being about fame and the Hollywood scene, but I understand why this will probably poll low, and am not sure if there was another intended way to tease this out without just outright knowing or guessing a very prominent album around the timeframe.

Poor Shari is probably still kicking herself for not wagering for the triple stumper win from distant third, though 0 out of Eric would have made for interesting possibilities too
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

The FJ level of difficulty was really age-dependent...fairly easy for someone in my age group, a lot tougher for people who grew up later. And I recalled how much Rolling Stone loathed this band, to boot.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ in about 15 seconds, but it's a clue that I may have blanked on if I had been under the lights. It was just a matter of picking out L.A. as the TOM.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Watching this from the audience, I had the tingly sense that Eric would go all in without thinking about basic wagering for a second and I was right. Shari’s wager made sense, but I can’t help but wonder if she’d had even a dollar less whether she would have opted to stay pat.
Leander

Post by Leander »

It was a choice between Rumours and Hotel California for me, although I thought the former was earlier than 1976 and the latter a few years later. The clue wording pointed me to HC as the more likely choice.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

One of my worst categories....so naturally it was near-instaget. L.A -> Cali ->Hotel California, with less than 0% confidence, because I know almost nothing about albums/years and had nothing else to base a WAG on.

Of course they bet it all. *sigh*
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Betting police!
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was lucky on FJ by knowing too little.

The first album that came to mind for the mid-70s was Rumours but I convinced myself that Fleetwood Mac was based out of England, unaware that they had set up base in Hollywood. Obviously, the Eagles are firmly associated with Southern California, so I tried to remember what the name of their album was. The only one I could think of was Hell Freezes Over, but I knew that was the 90s reunion concert, so out of desperation, I just put down Hotel California, hoping the song was also the name of an album.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:30 am I guessed right, but I thought Hotel California was earlier than that, so no confidence.
Same here on all counts. Had no other guess, so might as well write it down. Got lucky this time.

Congrats to Jason for punching his ticket to the next ToC. At the rate the field is filling up so far (pair of 5x champs + a 4x champ likely to qualify just in the past month), we may well have a short wait between November's tourney and the next.
Last edited by threearruda on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MasterCone wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:39 am This was an instaget for me, but the Eagles are my favorite band. Hotel the song I think has been discussed pretty widely as being about fame and the Hollywood scene, but I understand why this will probably poll low, and am not sure if there was another intended way to tease this out without just outright knowing or guessing a very prominent album around the timeframe.

Poor Shari is probably still kicking herself for not wagering for the triple stumper win from distant third, though 0 out of Eric would have made for interesting possibilities too
Well, I guess we had to see it one more time before season's end: a dumbass all-in wager from third place loses a game she could have won. And surely you know an all-in bet from the leader is never, ever gonna happen.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 pm Well, I guess we had to see it one more time before season's end: a dumbass all-in wager from third place loses a game she could have won. And surely you know an all-in bet from the leader is never, ever gonna happen.
If you are in 2nd place in this game, what would you wager?

Then perhaps re-think your above statement. 2nd place is the one who threw the game away.
Last edited by Golf on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 pm
MasterCone wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:39 am This was an instaget for me, but the Eagles are my favorite band. Hotel the song I think has been discussed pretty widely as being about fame and the Hollywood scene, but I understand why this will probably poll low, and am not sure if there was another intended way to tease this out without just outright knowing or guessing a very prominent album around the timeframe.

Well, I guess we had to see it one more time before season's end: a dumbass all-in wager from third place loses a game she could have won. And surely you know an all-in bet from the leader is never, ever gonna happen.
Shari's wager was actually rational. It would have guaranteed her at least a tiebreaker question if Jason missed FJ and she got it right, depending on how Eric wagered and responded.

OTOH, Chuck Norris never would have made the wager that Eric did.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Well I misread the clue and thought it was a Rolling Stones album. Guessed Some Girls, off by two years. I can definitely appreciate the Exile on Main Street attempt.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

What was Alex trying to hint at with his "Wake up, wake up" (I think that's what it was) call out?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday, July 25, 2019 FJ (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

I consider myself an authority on 1970s albums and I didn't get this one.
The year given in the clue was about the only thing I had to work with. Everything else meant nothing to me.
I was a Senior in H.S. when the title track was in the Top 40 but Hotel California was so far off my radar....even when I was thinking of precalls.
Anyway, I don't think the album would have been considered iconic if it weren't for the huge success of the single. JMO
I knew they wouldn't ask for Rumours, since I recall it being in a clue fairly recently. 1976 confirmed that immediately (Rumours is '77).
I eliminated Frampton Comes Alive and Wings At the Speed of Sound because they made zero sense, so the only thing else I had to guess was Songs in the Key of Life, so I went with that.

MarkBarrett wrote:It will be interesting to see the wide range of incorrect responses this clue generates as I it could imagine it stretching from the Doors to the Go-Gos.

Either of those would be terrible guesses for 1976.