Friday, July 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC SHIPS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
215 passengers were rescued when it sank in July 1918, about 500 fewer than it had rescued 6 years earlier

Jason Zuffranieri: 30800-3200=27600 (6x = $137,300)
Maggie Lehrman: 3200-3200=0
Michael Riggs: 3200-3198=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
Carpathia (Jason – Britannia) (Maggie – Doria Goy) (Michael – Lusitania)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 0+1000
Jason: 15600+5000
Jason: 30600-1000

Coryats
Jason: 27800
Maggie: 3200
Michael: 3200

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 9600
Maggie: 3200
Michael: 800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex ended the season with a big laugh. Looking at Maggie's FJ! incorrect response of "Doria Goy" he quipped, "It's a non-Jewish ship."

Jason was only 2/4 on big clues while much better on the buzzer timing to easily run away with the match.

The FJ! category had me precalling matches for explorers with ships and I was off base as instead it was ocean disasters. When the clue was revealed I went into one of my bad habits of trying to speed solve and scribbled Lusitania when seeing a 19-teen year. When I took the clue in its entirety to do the math back to 1912 I knew what to write as I have seen the Cameron movie more than once.

The FJ! clue from this game went better than today: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=548

Great run by Jason to close out the season. September 9th is only 45 days away.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:17 am Alex ended the season with a big laugh. Looking at Maggie's FJ! incorrect response of "Doria Goy" he quipped, "It's a non-Jewish ship."

Jason was only 2/4 on big clues while much better on the buzzer timing to easily run away with the match.

The FJ! category had me precalling matches for explorers with ships and I was off base as instead it was ocean disasters. When the clue was revealed I went into one of my bad habits of trying to speed solve and scribbled Lusitania when seeing a 19-teen year. When I took the clue in its entirety to do the math back to 1912 I knew what to write as I have seen the Cameron movie more than once.

The FJ! clue from this game went better than today: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=548

Great run by Jason to close out the season. September 9th is only 45 days away.
Was there any kind of "pop" for Alex coming out, and/or any audience shots of the J! luminaries in attendance?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:20 pm
Was there any kind of "pop" for Alex coming out, and/or any audience shots of the J! luminaries in attendance?
The reaction on Alex's entrance was on par with Monday and yesterday while certainly a little more hearty than is typical throughout the season. The Undertaker suddenly appearing in the ring is the king of "pop" and with a much smaller crowd at J! tapings than WWE the audience can only do so much.

After the J! round there was an audience shot though behind Johnny's side mostly. Some J! champs can be seen though the pan moves quickly. It is easier to spot Jimmy and Sarah along with other J! staffers.

To see the alumni in attendance this video does the trick:
Spoiler
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Spoiler
Spoiler
At 0:02, it looks like James was in the audience; and if so it's a good thing they didn't show this until now because James' first two episodes aired at the time the last episodes of Season 35 taped.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:11 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
At 0:02, it looks like James was in the audience; and if so it's a good thing they didn't show this until now because James' first two episodes aired at the time the last episodes of Season 35 taped.
It seems like you have mistaken Hans von Walter for James.
Douglas Squasoni
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:03 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:20 pm
The reaction on Alex's entrance was on par with Monday and yesterday while certainly a little more hearty than is typical throughout the season. The Undertaker suddenly appearing in the ring is the king of "pop" and with a much smaller crowd at J! tapings than WWE the audience can only do so much.

After the J! round there was an audience shot though behind Johnny's side mostly. Some J! champs can be seen though the pan moves quickly. It is easier to spot Jimmy and Sarah along with other J! staffers.

Spoiler
Thanks for posting. My workstation computer doesn't have sound, but I still got a little choked up watching that. I bet the Season 36 premiere has a pretty good audience reaction to Alex's entrance onstage.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Instaget FJ, so I finish the season getting 31 of the last 35 (admittedly, 10 of those gets were on Teen Tournament FJ's). I know being under the lights can do strange things, but I'm honestly surprised this one was a TS. (I'm also curious to see how it will poll here.) I've seen the tidbit about the Carpathia being the first rescue ship to respond to the Titanic come up numerous times in trivia. In my case it helped that everything Titanic was fresh in my mind as I visited the Titanic exhibit in Halifax's maritime museum just a few weeks ago.

Congrats to Jason on an outstanding game to extend his great run and become a superchamp. It'll be very interesting to see how he plays at the start of Season 36, having had 3.5 months to fortify his knowledge and study James's strategies.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I couldn't remember if the Titanic was rescued by the Californian or the Carpathian, and chose wrong, omitting the n for good measure.

I'm still not sure what to make of Jason. He's had some particularly impressive gets but has fared poorly on Finals.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:27 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Who among us hasn’t?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

hanzz wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:03 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:27 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Who among us hasn’t?
Sony's accountant?
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Now that Season 35 has wrapped up, and we're looking ahead to Season 36, I can say that this season has definitely been memorable.

Alex sported a beard the first two weeks of the season. Then we had the All-Star games in February. But my favorite moment from Season 35 was James Holzhauer winning 32 consecutive games, shattering several show records, and accumulating over $2.46 million in less than half the time it took Ken Jennings.

James is now one of my three favorite Jeopardy! contestants along with Ken and Brad. And a showdown between the three is a must for Season 36.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Somehow I got Constellation out of Carpathian... :?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Nice dominating win from Jason. Have to wonder if he wagers any differently (bigger) if the DD3/FJ categories were different - he really could have taken the show for a small fortune if things played out differently. Nevertheless, he's in a great position to extend his streak even longer with more time off to rest and brush up some more. He certainly showed little fatigue playing his sixth game in two days. Congrats to him on a great run so far.

Instaget FJ for me -- may have helped that I read the Game Show Trivia "chapter" on ships recently. Very pleased to end the season on that note.

--------------

IMO, any true fan of the show has to be pleased with what they saw this season. So much in terms of unforgettable moments, tournaments, champions, strong gameplay. It's always a pleasure discussing these things with all of you, and many thanks/kudos as always to those who keep this site and other related fan sites running.

J! has done a tremendous job extending their social media presence, and I enjoy how interested people seem to be in watching and talking about the show, be it here, on Reddit or other social media, or even among my own friends/family/acquaintances. Regardless of any personnel changes in the years to come, I think the future of the show is extremely bright.. here's hoping for many more great seasons to come. Can't wait 'till September! 8-)
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

If you don't know the right answer, at least one in the right neighborhood isn't that bad. At least Lusitania was a noteworthy ship of the same era, though for being sunk, not picking up survivors.

I'm guessing Maggie got a bit confused and was conflating Andrea Doria with Enola Gay, yes? The misspelling (or too-hasty printing) of Gay as "Goy" at least gave Alex the set-up for his best one-liner in a long time, and a well-deserved laugh from the audience.

I have to guess the Contestant Coordinators had to love Maggie at her audition, as her presentation reminded me of J!'s very own Maggie Speak: animated, vivacious, energetic.

I got enough Lach Trash from Vivaldi, Campanille, port (wine), and integration (of the army) to finish second from the imaginary 4th podium. Even an all-in wager and sole get in FJ would not have been enough to catch Jason, who made up for yesterday's narrow escape by racing away from the pack for an easy win.

Nice, nice streak for the champ. He's now safely installed in a tie for the 40th-best all-time regular season cash winnngs total, and of course, with a bullet. Way to go, Jason!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Friday, July 26, 2019 FJ (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

One of the easiest instaget FJs of this season for me. I almost didn't even bother doing the math to make sure.
Shocked, just shocked that it was a triple stumper. Michael I can understand, being possibly too young to have seen the James Cameron movie when it was circulating. But this should be basic flashcard trivia for the average J! contestant.
It reminded me of the easy FJ clues that James saw in the first few weeks of his run.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

John Boy wrote: I'm guessing Maggie got a bit confused and was conflating Andrea Doria with Enola Gay, yes? The misspelling (or too-hasty printing) of Gay as "Goy"
That's what I was thinking.
The Andrea Doria was forty years too late for the Titanic.
CasketRomance

Re: Friday, July 26, 2019 FJ (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:15 pm One of the easiest instaget FJs of this season for me. I almost didn't even bother doing the math to make sure.
Shocked, just shocked that it was a triple stumper. Michael I can understand, being possibly too young to have seen the James Cameron movie when it was circulating. But this should be basic flashcard trivia for the average J! contestant.
It reminded me of the easy FJ clues that James saw in the first few weeks of his run.
have never heard of that ship before