Friday, July 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:22 pm
John Boy wrote: I'm guessing Maggie got a bit confused and was conflating Andrea Doria with Enola Gay, yes? The misspelling (or too-hasty printing) of Gay as "Goy"
That's what I was thinking.
The Andrea Doria was forty years too late for the Titanic.
you must be a sunken ship guru
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 pm If you don't know the right answer, at least one in the right neighborhood isn't that bad. At least Lusitania was a noteworthy ship of the same era, though for being sunk, not picking up survivors.

I'm guessing Maggie got a bit confused and was conflating Andrea Doria with Enola Gay, yes? The misspelling (or too-hasty printing) of Gay as "Goy" at least gave Alex the set-up for his best one-liner in a long time, and a well-deserved laugh from the audience.

I have to guess the Contestant Coordinators had to love Maggie at her audition, as her presentation reminded me of J!'s very own Maggie Speak: animated, vivacious, energetic.

I got enough Lach Trash from Vivaldi, Campanille, port (wine), and integration (of the army) to finish second from the imaginary 4th podium. Even an all-in wager and sole get in FJ would not have been enough to catch Jason, who made up for yesterday's narrow escape by racing away from the pack for an easy win.

Nice, nice streak for the champ. He's now safely installed in a tie for the 40th-best all-time regular season cash winnngs total, and of course, with a bullet. Way to go, Jason!

i even got vivaldi right and i don't know crap about classical music
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 pm I got enough Lach Trash from . . . port (wine) . . . to finish second from the imaginary 4th podium.
I negged with sherry for the wine. Are port and sherry the Oxbridge of fortified wines?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm thinking Maggie had some Dorian Gray mixed in with her response too.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Not that it matters to anything but Jason's win total, but Postal Service should not have been accepted. The US Postal Service is post-1970 only; before the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 it was always the US Post Office Department. Nit, but smaller nits have mattered.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Wow, what a great game to end the season! Jason was extremely dominant throughout, and I'm glad we now have a post-James 6xer! Now that he's had time to have watched James Holzhauer's historic run, I hope he'll come back strong and willing to try and implement his strategies!

Even though neither Maggie or Michael ever really posed any real threat to Jason, I will say that personality wise I really liked watching Maggie play. She had a great smile on the whole time, and I liked how excited she seemed to be in the action!

I'm forever gonna miss this season. This has to be the greatest Jeopardy season ever. SO many memorable moments, the all star game was fabulous, and James Holzhauer REALLY made this season a blast! So glad the 35th anniversary season of the long-running game show was so amazing! Can't wait for Season 36, where we'll inevitably see many contestants attempting to imitate James Holzhauer with varying levels of success! It will be a MUST watch.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 pm Wow, what a great game to end the season! Jason was extremely dominant throughout, and I'm glad we now have a post-James 6xer! Now that he's had time to have watched James Holzhauer's historic run, I hope he'll come back strong and willing to try and implement his strategies!

Even though neither Maggie or Michael ever really posed any real threat to Jason, I will say that personality wise I really liked watching Maggie play. She had a great smile on the whole time, and I liked how excited she seemed to be in the action!

I'm forever gonna miss this season. This has to be the greatest Jeopardy season ever. SO many memorable moments, the all star game was fabulous, and James Holzhauer REALLY made this season a blast! So glad the 35th anniversary season of the long-running game show was so amazing! Can't wait for Season 36, where we'll inevitably see many contestants attempting to imitate James Holzhauer with varying levels of success! It will be a MUST watch.
I don't see how Jason could've watched James Holzhauer, unless he attended Jeopardy tapings back in February (that's when I assume most of James' run was taped). Here's the thing; the last episodes of Season 35 were taped April 6, and only the first two Holzhauer episodes had aired.
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:41 am
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 pm Wow, what a great game to end the season! Jason was extremely dominant throughout, and I'm glad we now have a post-James 6xer! Now that he's had time to have watched James Holzhauer's historic run, I hope he'll come back strong and willing to try and implement his strategies!

I don't see how Jason could've watched James Holzhauer, unless he attended Jeopardy tapings back in February (that's when I assume most of James' run was taped). Here's the thing; the last episodes of Season 35 were taped April 6, and only the first two Holzhauer episodes had aired.
I think you misread my post? I said "Now that he's had time to watch James Holzhauer", implying that since these episodes were taped he's seen James Holzhauer on TV and therefore is now familiar with his strategy heading into Season 36 when it started taping on July 22nd. I know this was taped before most of James's historic run was broadcast, that's why I said "I hope he'll come back strong and willing to try and implement his strategies".
Last edited by CasualJeopardyFan19 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:45 am

I think you misread my post? I said "Now that he's had time to watch James Holzhauer", implying that since these episodes were taped he's seen James Holzhauer on TV and therefore is now familiar with his strategy heading into Season 36 when it started taping on July 22nd. I know this was taped before most of James's historic run was broadcast, that's why I said "I hope he'll come back strong and willing to tey and implement his strategies.
I was confused when I made that post because I was only thinking about the episodes when they were being taped. But now I see you have a point. It definitely makes sense to consider the possibility of Jason watching the James Holzhauer episodes after the last shows for Season 35 taped.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:15 am
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:45 am

I think you misread my post? I said "Now that he's had time to watch James Holzhauer", implying that since these episodes were taped he's seen James Holzhauer on TV and therefore is now familiar with his strategy heading into Season 36 when it started taping on July 22nd. I know this was taped before most of James's historic run was broadcast, that's why I said "I hope he'll come back strong and willing to tey and implement his strategies.
I was confused when I made that post because I was only thinking about the episodes when they were being taped. But now I see you have a point. It definitely makes sense to consider the possibility of Jason watching the James Holzhauer episodes after the last shows for Season 35 taped.
Considering he's been this good winning 6 games even without the knowledge of James, it REALLY does make me wonder how scary good he'll be next season now that he knows James's strategy! I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but if Jason can continue to play really well in Season 36 AND master James's strategy on top of that, I can EASILY see him becoming a 10-game winner!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed The Bottom Two in 60's TV(Have seen the animated superhero but forgot his name.), Snap-on, and Peggy Lee.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Stadium, Antonio Vivaldi, Campanile, Port, Desegregate, Vibrations, Cooperative, (Thresher)
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:22 pm The Andrea Doria was forty years too late for the Titanic.
44 years.
Douglas Squasoni
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Season 35 was definitely memorable, especially with the All-Star tournament and James Holzhauer's run, the latter I say is the biggest highlight.

That said, I found prior anniversary seasons to be memorable in their own ways.

Season 30
- current set debuted
- Battle of the Decades tournament
- Julia Collins winning 20 games

Season 25
- current music package introduced ("leaky faucet" version of the think music was used the first month)
- Kids Week Reunion
- one celebrity episode along with the ToC taped at the '09 CES, first look at the previous set which became the main set in Culver City starting in Season 26
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bomtr wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:12 pm Not that it matters to anything but Jason's win total, but Postal Service should not have been accepted. The US Postal Service is post-1970 only; before the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 it was always the US Post Office Department. Nit, but smaller nits have mattered.
But we don't know for sure that Jason said "The US Postal Service". He might have been saying "The US postal service". And that would have been correct.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I bet next Monday they're going to rerun the All-Star games. And after that, they ought to air some of the James Holzhauer episodes instead of one of the Teen Tournaments.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:50 am I bet next Monday they're going to rerun the All-Star games. And after that, they ought to air some of the James Holzhauer episodes instead of one of the Teen Tournaments.
You lose.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz#events
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:02 am
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:50 am I bet next Monday they're going to rerun the All-Star games. And after that, they ought to air some of the James Holzhauer episodes instead of one of the Teen Tournaments.
You lose.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz#events
Who is Calvin Coolidge?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 pm I hope he'll come back strong and willing to try and implement his strategies!
I believe he (James Z) usually went all-in for his DD1's, and usually bet $4-5K for later DD's (gnash's strategy). The only unique element to James H's approach was mining the bottom row for moolah first. That's not strategic, that's tactical - if you can go 31/32 in FJ's and dominate the bottom row clues you can deploy that kraken.

Not trying to diminish JH's approach, but it isn't viable for most contestants. JZ deserves credit for controlled aggressive play.
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 pm Can't wait for Season 36, where we'll inevitably see many contestants attempting to imitate James Holzhauer with varying levels of success! It will be a MUST watch.
It will be fun to see the train wrecks :twisted:

I thought I got FJ until checking this board. I don't know now if I answered "Carpathia", or "Carpathian". I will check the Schrodinger box for this on the poll. I didn't like the clue phrasing which leads to Lusitania immediately and then requires parsing. I wonder if the contestants were hornswoggled. (where did I get that from, does our brain acquire a new geezer vocabulary as we age? dad blame it!)

Now to find something else to watch for 6 weeks.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 am
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 pm I hope he'll come back strong and willing to try and implement his strategies!

Not trying to diminish JH's approach, but it isn't viable for most contestants. JZ deserves credit for controlled aggressive play.

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 pm Can't wait for Season 36, where we'll inevitably see many contestants attempting to imitate James Holzhauer with varying levels of success! It will be a MUST watch.

Yeah I agree that James Holzhauer's method of playing won't be easy for many contestants to copy, but it'll certainly be fun watching them at least try to implement it!

And I cannot wait for the trainwrecks! :twisted:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:26 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 am

Yeah I agree that James Holzhauer's method of playing won't be easy for many contestants to copy, but it'll certainly be fun watching them at least try to implement it!

And I cannot wait for the trainwrecks! :twisted:
Watching James and trying to emulate him isn't likely to be of much use to most contestants, unless they have his knowledge base and buzzer mojo. I could watch Tiger Woods from now until kingdom come and it wouldn't be much use to the improvement of my golf swing.