Friday, July 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Friday, July 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 am I thought I got FJ until checking this board. I don't know now if I answered "Carpathia", or "Carpathian". I will check the Schrodinger box for this on the poll. I didn't like the clue phrasing which leads to Lusitania immediately and then requires parsing. I wonder if the contestants were hornswoggled.
The clue was perfectly cromulent. What part of "it had rescued 6 years earlier [i.e. in 1912]" leads to the Lusitania "immediately"? If anything, reading the whole clue should lead one to the rescue of Titanic survivors, and then it's a matter of knowing the name of the responding ship - which you got to at least within one letter of.

And BTW, the Lusitania sank in 1915 and its torpedoing led to the U.S. declaring war on Germany in 1917. WW I ended in 1918.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:12 am
bomtr wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:12 pm Not that it matters to anything but Jason's win total, but Postal Service should not have been accepted. The US Postal Service is post-1970 only; before the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 it was always the US Post Office Department. Nit, but smaller nits have mattered.
But we don't know for sure that Jason said "The US Postal Service". He might have been saying "The US postal service". And that would have been correct.
Well, no; lower case postal service already existed and therefore couldn't be established. Nit for nat.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bomtr wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:57 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:12 am
bomtr wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:12 pm Not that it matters to anything but Jason's win total, but Postal Service should not have been accepted. The US Postal Service is post-1970 only; before the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 it was always the US Post Office Department. Nit, but smaller nits have mattered.
But we don't know for sure that Jason said "The US Postal Service". He might have been saying "The US postal service". And that would have been correct.
Well, no; lower case postal service already existed and therefore couldn't be established. Nit for nat.
Hmm, I see your point. How about this, though? The show often accepts anachronistic responses. E.g. a contestant responds with Jackie Onassis when the clue was about a time when she was Jackie Kennedy. I imagine they would use similar logic to accept US Postal Service if someone pointed out the problem you raise.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Instaget FJ. Could only be describing the boat that responded to Titanic rescue. I was surprised as well that none of them got it.

I said US Post Office. Now I'm curious whether that would have been acceptable, since they took Postal Service.

Did not get campobella (am I even close on the spelling?) but recognized it as correct once I heard it.
Pending...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:25 pm I said US Post Office. Now I'm curious whether that would have been acceptable, since they took Postal Service.
They'd have to take it. It's a common-enough nickname.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:25 pm Did not get campobella (am I even close on the spelling?) but recognized it as correct once I heard it.
The bell tower is Campanile. Campobello is the name of the island in Canada where the Roosevelts stayed.
Douglas Squasoni
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

John Boy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:45 am
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:26 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 am
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 pm I hope he'll come back strong and willing to try and implement his strategies!

Not trying to diminish JH's approach, but it isn't viable for most contestants. JZ deserves credit for controlled aggressive play.

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 pm Can't wait for Season 36, where we'll inevitably see many contestants attempting to imitate James Holzhauer with varying levels of success! It will be a MUST watch.
It will be fun to see the train wrecks :twisted:

Yeah I agree that James Holzhauer's method of playing won't be easy for many contestants to copy, but it'll certainly be fun watching them at least try to implement it!

And I cannot wait for the trainwrecks! :twisted:
Watching James and trying to emulate him isn't likely to be of much use to most contestants, unless they have his knowledge base and buzzer mojo. I could watch Tiger Woods from now until kingdom come and it wouldn't be much use to the improvement of my golf swing.
I personally believe we'll get mixed results. Many who try James's strategy will probably be unsuccessful at replicating it, but there may also be a select few (and I do believe Jason is one of them) who could definitely see great success at trying to implement it. It all depends on the kind of players we end up getting next season.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:18 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 am I thought I got FJ until checking this board. I don't know now if I answered "Carpathia", or "Carpathian". I will check the Schrodinger box for this on the poll. I didn't like the clue phrasing which leads to Lusitania immediately and then requires parsing. I wonder if the contestants were hornswoggled.
The clue was perfectly cromulent. What part of "it had rescued 6 years earlier [i.e. in 1912]" leads to the Lusitania "immediately"? If anything, reading the whole clue should lead one to the rescue of Titanic survivors, and then it's a matter of knowing the name of the responding ship - which you got to at least within one letter of.

And BTW, the Lusitania sank in 1915 and its torpedoing led to the U.S. declaring war on Germany in 1917. WW I ended in 1918.
I agree, nothing wrong with the clue, but it was easy to read it too fast and overlook it had [rescued], thinking the clue was just comparing the disaster to the Titanic. That's what I did; luckily for this last game of the year I read the clue again more closely and saw which ship was being referenced. I didn't otherwise remember that the Carpathia sank.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 am
I don't know now if I answered "Carpathia", or "Carpathian".
I am in exactly the same boat (so to speak). :D
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:00 pm I couldn't remember if the Titanic was rescued by the Californian or the Carpathian, and chose wrong, omitting the n for good measure.
Ditto. Right down to the missing "n". Remembered just as the think music ended that the Californian was closer, but simply watched the distress flares instead of responding, not realizing they were distress flares.

But TIL that the Californian, like the Carpathia, was also torpedoed and sunk in WWI, though in 1915, three years before the Carpathia's sinking.

In another small bit of coincidence, the Californian's captain's name was Stanley Lord, the same surname as, though no relation to, Walter Lord, who wrote "A Night to Remember," considered one of the definitive books about the loss of the Titanic.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 pm
I'm guessing Maggie got a bit confused and was conflating Andrea Doria with Enola Gay, yes? The misspelling (or too-hasty printing) of Gay as "Goy" at least gave Alex the set-up for his best one-liner in a long time, and a well-deserved laugh from the audience.
Before Alex read her response, I read it slightly differently, wondering if she had perhaps conflated the Andrea Doria with Dorian Gray
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Category 13 wrote: The Andrea Doria was forty years too late for the Titanic.
44 years.
I was speaking in terms of coming to Titanic's rescue, so it was actually 41 years too late. I just gave a general ballpark figure because I didn't feel like looking it up.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Category 13 wrote: The Andrea Doria was forty years too late for the Titanic.
44 years.
I was speaking in terms of coming to Titanic's rescue, so it was actually 41 years too late. I just gave a general ballpark figure because I didn't feel like looking it up.
some sunken ship guru you are, dude
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:03 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:00 pm I couldn't remember if the Titanic was rescued by the Californian or the Carpathian, and chose wrong, omitting the n for good measure.
Ditto. Right down to the missing "n". Remembered just as the think music ended that the Californian was closer, but simply watched the distress flares instead of responding, not realizing they were distress flares.

But TIL that the Californian, like the Carpathia, was also torpedoed and sunk in WWI, though in 1915, three years before the Carpathia's sinking.

In another small bit of coincidence, the Californian's captain's name was Stanley Lord, the same surname as, though no relation to, Walter Lord, who wrote "A Night to Remember," considered one of the definitive books about the loss of the Titanic.
I've read A Night to Remember several times, which is why I feel particularly sick about missing this one.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:59 am Season 35 was definitely memorable, especially with the All-Star tournament and James Holzhauer's run, the latter I say is the biggest highlight.

That said, I found prior anniversary seasons to be memorable in their own ways.
Calling Season 35 an "anniversary season" in the sense that it somehow marked a 35th anniversary is a little like calling your wedding day your first anniversary, but whatever. I look forward to wishing Alex and crew a happy 35th anniversary on the first airdate of Season 36.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Struggled with the Before & After, getting only $600. I had neither half of $200 thanks to drawing a blank on Lewis Carroll; had the After but not the Before on the DD, and the Before but not the After on $800 and $1,000.

My mom told me she was 0/5 in the Venice category. I got all but "doge". I would've needed a "wow, very X, such Y" TOM on that one.

I usually do well in animal categories, but Shark Week was really tough IMO. I ended up bombing the category thanks to clamming on "great white" and "mako", and had utterly zero clue on the rest. "Vibrations" seemed like a very poorly pinned clue with two "close but no cigar" negs.

No guess on FJ! All I had was "not the Titanic or Lusitania".

Lach Trash: Vivaldi, campanile.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:55 pm "Vibrations" seemed like a very poorly pinned clue with two "close but no cigar" negs.
I agree. I knew (or at least thought I knew) what they were going for, but I don't see what in the clue made "vibrations" the only correct response.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That FJ was one where I had it on the tip of my tongue, but couldn't pull it. Finally came up with Carpenteria. Close, but no kewpie doll.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:13 pm Calling Season 35 an "anniversary season" in the sense that it somehow marked a 35th anniversary is a little like calling your wedding day your first anniversary, but whatever. I look forward to wishing Alex and crew a happy 35th anniversary on the first airdate of Season 36.
Game shows typically call milestone seasons (ending in 5 or 0) "anniversaries" for some reason, but who knows why. Not only Jeopardy's 35th season was called "35th anniversary" or "35th anniversary season"; the same thing was applied to Seasons 25 and 30, and also Season 10.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:13 pm Calling Season 35 an "anniversary season" in the sense that it somehow marked a 35th anniversary is a little like calling your wedding day your first anniversary
Or in today's annoying fashion, your "one-year anniversary".
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:00 pm Game shows typically call milestone seasons (ending in 5 or 0) "anniversaries" for some reason, but who knows why. Not only Jeopardy's 35th season was called "35th anniversary" or "35th anniversary season"; the same thing was applied to Seasons 25 and 30, and also Season 10.
This is true. The Empire State Building even celebrated the 30th (30 year) anniversary of "The SImpsons" 29 years after its premiere.
I'm smart and I want respect.