Alex Trebek Announces Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

FS7
Contributor

Re: Alex Trebek Announces Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer

Post by FS7 »

alietr wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:52 am
slam wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:35 am On a related topic, does anyone else believe that Holzhauer’s run is a gift for Alex? He is obviously enjoying the run though I think he enjoyed Jennings’ run more.
Really? I get the sense that he can't wait for it to be over.
I get this too. I think Ken was (is) much more amiable, while James seems to be a bit less charismatic. That could just be me, though.

For what it's worth I do think the comment about turning being a Jeopardy contestant into a palatable career didn't sit well with Alex. Not really sure why.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Here is a new article published on Wednesday

https://www.survivornet.com/articles/ho ... ts-cancer/

When does Jeopardy usually start taping again for the fall?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:03 pm Here is a new article published on Wednesday

https://www.survivornet.com/articles/ho ... ts-cancer/

When does Jeopardy usually start taping again for the fall?
July. And it has already happened as S36 with Alex is already weeks into taping. That picture of the birthday cake in the article you linked was from the first week of taping.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

So. I am a season 36 contestant. I'd like to offer a few general observations.

Alex seems to be holding up pretty well. He is still doing Q&A in taping breaks, resting backstage between shows, keeping up with the pace of the game despite the jumping around. He's lost a bit of weight, he's a bit pale, and his voice is a little less strong (except when he cuts off a wrong answer...lol).

I look at the warmth and the joy he had with both the teen and teachers tournaments from earlier this year, (in reruns now) and compared to that, he's quite muted. Perhaps he's conserving energy, because they're still shooting 5 a day, and it moves fast. Perhaps we're boring the heck out of him compared to the kids and how much he loves the teachers. But in comparison, he seems a bit distant and perfunctory. I found that quite understandable, but wanted to give an honest evaluation if I was going to post this at all.

The people (crew and showrunners) around him, behind his back, are saying wonderful things about how much they love him and how brave and remarkable he is in continuing. To his face, they all appear to make an effort to continue business as usual. I don't think he's allowing them to coddle him over it.

So, if you're one of those worrying about him, I think your prayers and positive thoughts are working. Keep it up, please.
Pending...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Thanks, Molly. Really appreciate the update. And retro good luck in your game(s).
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Hoping for a third lap
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

It’s been announced that Alex is back in chemo

https://youtu.be/cJd8p_1BYMg
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:53 am It’s been announced that Alex is back in chemo

https://youtu.be/cJd8p_1BYMg
Immediately above you, in fact ...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Absolutely terrible news. Cancer does indeed suck.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I was gutted to hear the news this morning.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I am now five weeks into taking chemo infusions for pancreatic cancer, and I can offer this perspective:

Alex Trebek is a remarkable incredible trooper for being able to continue to host Jeopardy to the high standard that he sets.  Chemo really does take it out of you.  I am on a two week cycle for it; the first week I call the "on" week where you take in the chemical cocktail, and the second week I call the "off" week where you recover your strength. For my treatment I take in part of the chemo on that first Monday, and go home with a pump that continues to infuse me until Wednesday (before chemo you have an operation that puts a port into your chest to facilitate the infusions).  On Thursday a Neulasta patch kicks in with a formula that is designed to promote white blood cell count.   All of these infusions make you tired and listless.  During the on week all you can do is lie around.  It's not painful but it renders you incapable of doing anything constructive. You have to monitor yourself; you don't want to get dehydrated, and you want to watch for side effects that kick in as your treatment progresses.  During the off week you gradually recover your strength and by the final day before the next infusion you're a lot more steady handed and sure of yourself.  But chemo is also cumulative and the deeper into it you go the more you feel the effects.

There's a blood test for pancreatic cancer called the CA 19 9.  The test measures the antigens in your blood that your tumor releases. The tests gives you a cancer number; a cancer free person has a number between 0 and 35.  My cancer number before chemo was above 400.  After two cycles of infusions my number was down to 136; my oncologist termed this very unusual and I'm happy to report that I'm in a very high percentile for responding to chemo.  With all of this you have to play it by ear.  Cancer is a complicated grabbag and complications can come from out of the blue at you.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Trebek is exactly the kind of person I would expect to come out on top after this diagnosis. With his professionalism, intelligence, and positivity, I'm sure that the outcome will be a favorable one.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

harrumph wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 pm I am now five weeks into taking chemo infusions for pancreatic cancer, and I can offer this perspective:

Alex Trebek is a remarkable incredible trooper for being able to continue to host Jeopardy to the high standard that he sets.  Chemo really does take it out of you.  I am on a two week cycle for it; the first week I call the "on" week where you take in the chemical cocktail, and the second week I call the "off" week where you recover your strength. For my treatment I take in part of the chemo on that first Monday, and go home with a pump that continues to infuse me until Wednesday (before chemo you have an operation that puts a port into your chest to facilitate the infusions).  On Thursday a Neulasta patch kicks in with a formula that is designed to promote white blood cell count.   All of these infusions make you tired and listless.  During the on week all you can do is lie around.  It's not painful but it renders you incapable of doing anything constructive. You have to monitor yourself; you don't want to get dehydrated, and you want to watch for side effects that kick in as your treatment progresses.  During the off week you gradually recover your strength and by the final day before the next infusion you're a lot more steady handed and sure of yourself.  But chemo is also cumulative and the deeper into it you go the more you feel the effects.

There's a blood test for pancreatic cancer called the CA 19 9.  The test measures the antigens in your blood that your tumor releases. The tests gives you a cancer number; a cancer free person has a number between 0 and 35.  My cancer number before chemo was above 400.  After two cycles of infusions my number was down to 136; my oncologist termed this very unusual and I'm happy to report that I'm in a very high percentile for responding to chemo.  With all of this you have to play it by ear.  Cancer is a complicated grabbag and complications can come from out of the blue at you.
Best of luck to you in your struggle against this terrible disease. I'm glad to hear that you're responding to chemo as well as you are, though as you say it does take a physical toll on you.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

harrumph wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 pm  My cancer number before chemo was above 400.  After two cycles of infusions my number was down to 136; my oncologist termed this very unusual and I'm happy to report that I'm in a very high percentile for responding to chemo.
This is great news! Keep up the good work!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

harrumph wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 pm I am now five weeks into taking chemo infusions for pancreatic cancer, and I can offer this perspective:

Thanks for your perspective and all the best in your personal battle. We all have someone or someones in our lives who have had similar battles, and most of us know someone who has succumbed. Any diagnosis or relapse or other bad news must be very difficult to deal with. And anyone who can spare a moment from his/her own treatment to share as you have is a real trooper. Let alone someone who can (as you said) not only endure treatment but continue to perform at a high level in a job most of us couldn't do on our best day and in the prime of life.

I'm always humbled to be in the presence of such people, even if (as in this case) only electronically. I sincerely pray for God's blessing's on you and Alex and all the others out there in such a fight.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Where can we send get well mail to Alex? Is it just c/o Jeopardy like Santa @ The North Pole?
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I have not posted in a while.

First I was gutted with Alex's news. Now this! I'm sorry to hear this..and wish you the best.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I really do appreciate all your kind thoughts.

Alex Trebek knows that this latest curveball is just part of the deal with this disease.  It's important to be relentlessly positive.  He's done well on chemo before and he'll do well again.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

While his health is everyone’s main concern, does anyone know if this will interrupt the taping schedule?

Sorry to hear the chemo has been rough, harrumph. Keep fighting.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:27 pm While his health is everyone’s main concern, does anyone know if this will interrupt the taping schedule?

Sorry to hear the chemo has been rough, harrumph. Keep fighting.
According to a tweet by James Holzhauer, they taped the ToC this week. So, I guess not.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.