TD 429 - All Music (FINAL STANDINGS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 429 - All Music (Third Quarter Standings Revealed)

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:37 am
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:34 am
cthulhu wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:49 am The problem with a near-wheelhouse quiz of this type is figuring out how others will respond. I vacillated between “countrypolitan”, “Rickenbacker”, “Murray the K”, and “Alan Freed” on question 8, and picked the worst score of the four. Then I misread the instructions for 9 by saying “Dee Snider” (my spelling is correct; “i” not “y”). Argh...

And go ask an actual ‘60s SoCal surfer, and you’ll likely hear that the Beach Boys were not considered surf rock - that was Dick Dale, the Chantays, the Ventures, the Surfaris, etc. I don’t care about Wikipedia’s breakdown of “instrumental” and “vocal” surf rock. 8-)
what are you whining about? you got a 3
I don't think that was complaining, just expressing frustration in basically out-thinking themselves.
btw...you are up late...after 530am...didn't think people that frequented this board stayed up this late
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

4TH QUARTER: The Modern Era

10. The ‘90s

The list contains one album released in each year of the decade. Name one of the following acts, singers or groups

1990: “Violator” Depeche Mode
1991: “Ten” Pearl Jam
1992: “Countdown to Extinction” Megadeth
1993: “The Sign” Ace of Base
1994: “Ready to Die” Notorious B.I.G.
1995: “Jagged Little Pill” Alanis Morissette
1996: “Yourself or Someone Like You” Matchbox 20
1997: “The Velvet Rope” Janet Jackson
1998: “Ray of Light” Madonna
1999: “Supernatural” Santana

INCORRECT - 13
Bmwhitehead (Pink)
Twelvefootboy (sheep plus five)
spell4yr (Jewel)

Santana - 8 (SHEEP!)
Rackme32
ChexMix
Saturnalia
Peachbox
Coach P
Gamawire
ElendilPickle
gwalace2

Alanis Morissette - 7
MattKnowles
RandyG
barandall800
lefty
MollyQMurphy
SenseiCAY
clprez

Depeche Mode - 4
econgator
Mennoknight
shambolic
merica

Ace of Base - 3
clt013
Reinholdgoldthwait
cthulhu

Megadeth - 2
Ironhorse
casketromance

Madonna - 2
MarkBarrett
Ihavejeoprosy

Pearl Jam - SINGLETON!
heppm01

Janet Jackson - SINGLETON!
Floridagator

DROP - 0
badgerfellow
mahatma
squarekara
AFRET CMS
jev15

UNUSED
Notorious B.I.G.
Matchbox 20

11. The 2000s: “Performance” Art

The television scene in the early 2000s was/has been dominated by singing competitions. Answer a question about them.

[*] 2011 American Idol finalists (and future chart-topping country artists) Lauren Alaina and Scotty McCreery performed a duet of this Randy Travis classic "I Told You So"
[*] Commercially, the two most successful alumni of this USA Network singing competition are Chris Young and Miranda Lambert Nashville Star
[*] CMT’s The Singing Bee was hosted by this Minnesota native and Baby Daddy actress Melissa Peterman
[*] Who was Ryan Seacrest’s co-host for American Idol’s first season? Brian Dunkleman
[*] Sunday Sunday Sunday! Watch Blake, Kelly and Adam press buttons, banter and turn in chairs on this show… okay, maybe not that exciting The Voice
[*] The X Factor UK has produced charting acts stateside including Little Mix, James Arthur and this “Bleeding Love” singer Leona Lewis
[*] DJ Khaled and Meghan Trainor are judges on this FOX competition program that debuted in 2018 The Four
[*] The first season of FOX’s The Masked Singer was won by this.. “artist” and producer known for his use of pitch-correction autotune T-Pain
[*] The sixth and final season of “K-Pop Star” in this country wrapped up in early 2017 South Korea
[*] America’s Most Musical Family is set to debut soon on this network Nickelodeon

INCORRECT - 11
lefty (Country Star)
Peachbox (Forever and Ever Amen - not a bad guess)
twelvefootboy (sheep plus five)

SHEEP - 6
Coach P

Brian Dunkleman - 6 (SHEEP!)
RandyG
barandall800
mahatma
jev15
clprez
Ihavejeoprosy

Leona Lewis - 5
ChexMix
Ironhorse
mennoknight
Squarekara
gwalace2

The Voice - 5
ElendilPickle
ReinholdGoldthwait
Cthulhu
AFRET CMS
clt013

Nashville Star - 4
bmwhitehead
Gamawire
merica
spell4yr

South Korea - 3
MattKnowles
Rackme32
casketromance

The Four - 2
econgator
SenseiCAY

T-Pain - 2
Badgerfellow
MarkBarrett

UNUSED
Melissa Peterman
“I Told You So”
Nickelodeon

DROP - 0
Saturnalia
Floridagator
MollyQMurphy
Heppm01
shambolic

12. 2010s: RECENT POP MUSIC TORTURE PART III

I love driving you folks crazy with recent annoyingnoisesImeanmusic. Luckily for you, no lyrics this time. Answer a question about recent music headlines.

[*] Travis Scott’s “Sicko Mode” features some lyrics from this super-fan whose team just won the NBA championship Drake
[*] These former Disney Channel heartthrobs returned to the charts in a big way in 2019 with hits such as “Cool” and “Sucker” Jonas Brothers
[*] It has been a huge year for this former Nickelodeon actress, becoming the first solo artist to hold the top three spots simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100 Ariana Grande
[*] This rapper erupted onto the music scene and irked country music fans with “Old Town Road”, the nation’s #1 song for most of the past five months Lil Nas X
[*] Though the two deny it, fans still seem to think that Shawn Mendes is dating this “Senorita” he dueted with on their current hit Camila Cabelo
[*] This singer’s “Truth Hurts” reached the Billboard top five two years after its initial release Lizzo
[*] This emo-looking singer has burst onto the pop music scene this year with hits “bad guy” and “when the party’s over” Billie Eilish
[*] Taylor Swift’s current Top 20 song is titled “You Need To” do this "Calm Down"
[*] This band headlined the Super Bowl LIII halftime show Maroon 5
[*] We’re “Speechless” about the success of this country pair with two crossover top 40 singles in the past 12 months Dan and Shay

INCORRECT - 11
Reinholdgoldthwait (Coldplay)
twelvefootboy (sheep plus five)

SHEEP - 6
MollyQMurphy

Camila Cabelo - 6 (SHEEP!)
Coach P
ElendilPickle
Peachbox
jev15
gwalace2
Ihavejeoprosy

Jonas Brothers - 5
Saturnalia
MarkBarrett
mahatma
squarekara
Floridagator

Drake - 4
Rackme32
lefty
SenseiCAY
merica

“Calm Down” - 4
gamawire
cthulhu
shambolic
clprez

Maroon 5 - 3
AFRET CMS
heppm01
casketromance

Dan and Shay - 3
ChexMix
bmwhitehead
badgerfellow

Lizzo - 2
barandall800
spell4yr

Billie Eilish - 2
MattKnowles
mennoknight

Ariana Grande - SINGLETON!
clt013

Lil Nas X - SINGLETON!
Ironhorse

DROP - 0
RandyG
econgator

FOURTH QUARTER/FINAL BONUS: Here are a few questions I constructed that did not make the cut. Answer as many as you’re able - one point reduction for each correct response for a max of -6.

[*] Roberta Flack won back-to-back Record of the Year Grammys in the mid-1970s with these two titles (one point for one title, two for both) The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and Killing Me Softly With His Song
[*] Fleetwood Mac enlisted the help of this school’s marching band on their 1979 smash “Tusk" University of Southern California (USC)
[*] “Memory” is a song from this Broadway show Cats
[*] What thrash metal band was recently dropped from a sponsorship deal for NASCAR driver J.J. Yeley and Rick Ware Racing? Slayer
[*] Red Rocks is located in this Colorado town, just west of Denver Morrison

Here's the breakdown, in alphabetical order.

NOTE: I elected to accept just "Killing Me Softly". It's not the full title and almost definitely breaks my own rules, but I feel that the song has enough references with just the shortened title, so I'll let it slide - last thing I want is two dozen angry players. The rules are going to get revised next time, and it does not drastically affect final standings, so please don't shoot/throw tomatoes at my head. My fault for making you name songs with a thousand words in the title! :oops: :lol:

AFRET CMS -4
badgerfellow -3
barandall800 -2
bmwhitehead -1
casketromance -4
ChexMix -2
clprez -3
clt013 -4
Coach P -3
cthulhu -4
econgator 0
ElendilPickle -5
Floridagator -5
Gamawire -5
gwalace2 -2
heppm01 -2
Ihavejeoprosy -1
Ironhorse -2
jev15 -3
lefty -3
mahatma -4
MarkBarrett -3
MattKnowles -3
mennoknight -4
merica 0
MollyQMurphy -3
Peachbox -4
Rackme32 -3
RandyG -4
ReinholdGoldthwait -2
Saturnalia -3
SenseiCAY -1
shambolic -1
spell4yr -3
squarekara -4
twelvefootboy -1

FINAL STANDINGS

36. twelvefootboy - 102
35. Ihavejeoprosy - 71
34. jev15 - 70
33. ReinholdGoldthwait - 69
32. squarekara - 68
31. MollyQMurphy - 67

T-28. MattKnowles - 65
T-28. gwalace2 - 65
T-28. Coach P - 65
27. SenseiCAY - 64
26. clt013 - 63
25. econgator - 60
T-22. merica - 59
T-22. ElendilPickle - 59
T-22. bmwhitehead - 59
T-20. mennoknight - 58
T-20. MarkBarrett - 58

19. Ironhorse - 56
18. Rackme32 - 55
T-16. lefty - 53
T-16. Saturnalia - 53
T-14. clprez - 52
T-14. cthulhu - 52
T-11. Peachbox - 51
T-11. AFRET CMS - 51
T-11. shambolic - 51

10. Gamawire - 49
9. barandall800 - 48
8. heppm01 - 47
T-4. spell4yr - 46
T-4. mahatma - 46
T-4. Floridagator - 46
T-4. ChexMix - 46

BRONZE MEDAL
3. RandyG - 45

SILVER MEDAL
2. casketromance - 44

TD 429 CHAMPION!
1. badgerfellow - 41

In a stunning twist of events, some of our Quarter 3 leaders flame out with costly sheep and/or incorrect responses, leaving badgerfellow at the top of the pile! Congrats! He garnered just two points in total through today’s reveal, using a drop and knocking three points off his score through the bonuses. The top five looks quite different than it did yesterday, with casketromance rocketing up to a second place finish, and RandyG completing the podium.

FINAL THOUGHTS/CONCLUSION:

I’m glad that the current/Top 40 music went better than my last two TDs - only two drops and two incorrect responses!

Unlike the Millennial Medley quizzes, do not hold your breath on a Part II of “All Music”. I’m well aware this was not my best TD for a variety of reasons, and I apologize for any angst/head-slapping :lol:. I do my best to provide a challenge, but I host sporadically enough that sometimes I forget what a challenging but fair quiz might look like (I'm not a genius either). On the positive side, I’ll be giving myself a nice, long look at the TD best practices thread for a refresher/future reference. :D

Nevertheless, I still appreciate the strong entry list and the many, many kind words from all of you :). I look forward to hosting again at some point in the future. Time to shift focus to the College Online Test! Take care everyone.

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:39 am
btw...you are up late...after 530am...didn't think people that frequented this board stayed up this late
I'm in New England - 5:30 am is up early as far as I'm concerned LOL.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:05 am 4TH QUARTER: The Modern Era

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:39 am
I'm in New England - 5:30 am is up early as far as I'm concerned LOL.
you got up at that time on a saturday? uni student with an inner geezer
CasketRomance

Re: TD 429 - All Music (FINAL STANDINGS)

Post by CasketRomance »

oh nice...a 2nd place finish...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Thanks for hosting, threearruda! And I'm sure somewhere out there Brian Dunkleman thanks you too.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

threearruda wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:38 pm
mennoknight wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:02 am I conflated Los Del Rio and Taco Del Mar. Would love to open up a Macarena themed Taco shop though.
Brilliant. I am not much of a taco guy, but I will absolutely go to this.

RandyG wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:03 am
ihavejeoprosy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:02 am Should’ve sheeped for everything.

The los del rio thing was a typo, so I just have to lol at that.
Clearly a simple typo. I think it should be accepted.
I too know it was just a typo... but I made note in the opening post that J! conventions are followed for spelling/leading articles (mostly to try and make my life easier). That rule helped out a lot for sorting through the Paulina Porizkova responses, but also sets a precedent - Lol and Los are different words, and I (unfortunately) cannot accept that.

This has worked without much of an issue in my past two TDs, but this is something that I will absolutely need to scrap in the future. Live and learn I guess.
The issue I’ve had is when completing a TD through Google firms on my phone. It is sometimes very difficult to notice when my phone has autocorrected an answer in a previous field, and I have gotten a couple wrong as a result. I’m assuming that could have easily happened with Los->Lol.

It also happened with me a few questions later, with Matchbox 20 somehow autocorrecting to Jewel. Oh wait
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

What???! Wow!! Finally broke through for victory after a lot of second place finishes. Thanks for putting together this TD.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Thanks for hosting, threearruda. Well done! And congrats to badgerfellow and casketromance!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

mahatma wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 pm There's always room for Jello.

I think he should get a demerit for breaking the unwritten 'thou shalt not wear one's own band t-shirt' rule.
I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't recognize him.

Thanks for putting together a fun TD, threearuda!
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

RandyG wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:03 am
ihavejeoprosy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:02 am Should’ve sheeped for everything.

The los del rio thing was a typo, so I just have to lol at that.
Clearly a simple typo. I think it should be accepted.
Thanks, but it’s no big deal since this is just for fun.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Thanks for the td. Looks like i was trying to shoot the moon.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K