Football pre-emptions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Football pre-emptions

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:22 pm Looking ahead to September 9th: KGO does not have J! (or that other game show) on the schedule as the Raiders/Broncos will be on at 7:15 preceded by 3hr 45m of news. After the game it's more news and after show, Kimmel, Nightline and then the 3 hours of bumped regular prime time programming that has to be shown. People have to have their Bachelor in Paradise/Grand Hotelfix. That is a local situation.

9/12 is the Democratic debate with ABC's turn to air it although there should be space for J! afterwards with typical prime time programming not on the docket. It could carry over to 9/13 if more than 10 qualify. I think the count is exactly at 10 candidates so far who have met the requirements? That is a West Coast situation for recording devices to monitor.

College football on 9/14 will make a day delay tough as those things never end on time.
9/14 is a saturday
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:22 pm Looking ahead to September 9th: KGO does not have J! (or that other game show) on the schedule as the Raiders/Broncos will be on at 7:15 preceded by 3hr 45m of news. After the game it's more news and after show, Kimmel, Nightline and then the 3 hours of bumped regular prime time programming that has to be shown. People have to have their Bachelor in Paradise/Grand Hotelfix. That is a local situation.

9/12 is the Democratic debate with ABC's turn to air it although there should be space for J! afterwards with typical prime time programming not on the docket. It could carry over to 9/13 if more than 10 qualify. I think the count is exactly at 10 candidates so far who have met the requirements? That is a West Coast situation for recording devices to monitor.

College football on 9/14 will make a day delay tough as those things never end on time.
9/14 is a saturday
Correct. Some markets will shift J! to a day delay if a weekday game is preempted making the Friday new game air on a Saturday. Los Angeles seems to do it more than San Francisco.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am just glad my local CBS affiliate ended their urinating contest with my satellite company just in time for football season so I can watch Jeopardy again.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I’m in KGO’s market, too.

Too bad the station doesn’t seem to realize that Jeopardy! is the one and only reason for their station’s existence.

I’ll have to call them tomorrow and remind them of this undeniable fact.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rackme32 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:19 pm I’m in KGO’s market, too.

Too bad the station doesn’t seem to realize that Jeopardy! is the one and only reason for their station’s existence.

I’ll have to call them tomorrow and remind them of this undeniable fact.
Since my earlier post KGO has adjusted its schedule to have game one of the new season on Tuesday at the regular time. Wednesday will be the Tuesday game. Game three will be shifted a day to Thursday after the circus debate and news. That puts game 5, also shifted, to Saturday after football and local programming to air at 9. All five games airing though shifted and delayed is better than it looked at first.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Looks like ABC (LA)'s Thursday show will be at 1:07A Friday instead

...and apparently that's not football related, that's the debate...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:48 pm Looks like ABC (LA)'s Thursday show will be at 1:07A Friday instead

Correct, the only football preemptions on KABC should be Monday, November 18 (Chargers on "Monday Night Football") and Monday, November 25 (Rams on "Monday Night Football").
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

trainman wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:48 pm Looks like ABC (LA)'s Thursday show will be at 1:07A Friday instead

Correct, the only football preemptions on KABC should be Monday, November 18 (Chargers on "Monday Night Football") and Monday, November 25 (Rams on "Monday Night Football").
why would it matter? monday night football is on espn
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:13 am

Yes, MNF is on ESPN, but when it's a local team it needs to be available for those without ESPN. In the West that can affect J! airing. As already posted the Raiders/Broncos tomorrow will be on local KGO, the J! station. KGO will also be the heroes when the Niners are on MNF later this season. See above for Los Angeles and its two teams.

In other parts of the country the local airing requirement for MNF does not affect J! since the game shows air earlier there.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:13 am

Yes, MNF is on ESPN, but when it's a local team it needs to be available for those without ESPN. In the West that can affect J! airing. As already posted the Raiders/Broncos tomorrow will be on local KGO, the J! station. KGO will also be the heroes when the Niners are on MNF later this season. See above for Los Angeles and its two teams.

In other parts of the country the local airing requirement for MNF does not affect J! since the game shows air earlier there

i don't understand why
except this week it does air early....7pm eastern for game 1
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I don't know all the ins and outs of the TV sports business, but I'm sure Monday Night Football is about money and ratings within the ad industry.

If the MNF game is available not just on ESPN but also on a local network affiliate then more people watch as not everyone has access to ESPN while more viewers can get their own local stations through antennas and whatnot.

The local station who gets to air the game has the opportunity to sell their own ad spots, separate from the required national ads. Those are money makers for the local station since a football game with the home team means extra viewers. If an after show airs that is 100% local advertising and more profit.

J! is usually not affected by this arrangement. For example Week 2 with the Browns and Jets. Those are EDT teams so 8:15 is after the games shows air.

The most affected area is the West with Seahawks, 49ers, Raiders, Chargers and Rams.

Fox viewers need to check their schedules for Thursday nights. Thursday football on Fox begins in Week 4 on the 26th, but Fox has a wrinkle for Sept. 12th & 19th with nationally televised regular season baseball games to cover that gap. Viewers in affected areas can share what that may do to J! airing in those areas.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Week 1 of MNF is a doubleheader. They don't want the second game to start too late so they move back the week 1 start time. ESPN used to show a week 16 game on MNF that was usually meaningless in terms of playoff ramifications, so a couple of years ago the NFL gave ESPN an extra game on week 1 and no game on week 16.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

In football season (ALL football season), The CBS affiliate in Boston pre-empts Jeopardy! every Friday. Not because they show sports, but because they show a local program ("Patriots All Access") ABOUT sports. They shove Jeopardy (and Wheel, but who cares?) to 2 AM or some such.
Teems with quiet fun.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Well, great... In addition to the KGO preemptions, my DVR seems to think the new season starts NEXT week. Monday's apparently was shown Tuesday in my market, but the DVR didn't catch it and I was out of town. My listing also don't show any preemption for the Democratic debate... Who knows what or when my DVR will try to record Thursday. Sheesh.

So, I cancelled the series-recordings setting and started a new one with all episodes, repeat or not. Maybe now, I'll get some new J!...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

looks like fox is airing a primetime baseball game tonight...not sure why they decided to air the dodgers vs the fricking orioles, but that will begin at 715pm eastern time
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:34 am looks like fox is airing a primetime baseball game tonight...not sure why they decided to air the dodgers vs the fricking orioles, but that will begin at 715pm eastern time
They wanted to see lots of home runs?

It was ironic that an O was the one to set the record.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:02 am
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:34 am looks like fox is airing a primetime baseball game tonight...not sure why they decided to air the dodgers vs the fricking orioles, but that will begin at 715pm eastern time
They wanted to see lots of home runs?

It was ironic that an O was the one to set the record.
they do have the right guy on the mound tonight in dylan bundy...lefty loaded lineup against that gas can
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Forwarding the channel guide two weeks to Friday, December the 6th - ABC will be airing the Pac 12 Championship so J! will not be on at 7/7:30 in the West.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Annual notice to check your local listiings for holiday programming which may interrupt your regularly scheduled Jeopardy! viewing.

Thursday:
CBS has NFL scheduled from 4-8 PM Eastern
FOX has NFL 12-4 ET, followed by a US Open golf recap 4-5.
NBC has NFL starting at 8 PM ET,

Friday:
ABC has college football 12 PM to 7 PM Eastern
FOX has college fotoball 12 PM to 8 PM ET
NBC has hockey 1:00-4:00 ET
CBS has college football 2:30-6 ET

And a related question, I'm on AT&T Uverse and the regular Jeopardy episode didn't record tonight, I noticed the shows for Wednesday and Thursday have the wrong date, 10/3 and 10/4 of 2018, so presumably these are the rerun dates instead. Did this happen to anyone else? I assume the same glitch was in place causing me to miss Tuesday's episode, and Friday the show is already being pre-empted for local holiday programming so there's no date listed for that one.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:52 am Friday:
ABC has college football 12 PM to 7 PM Eastern
12 PM to 7:30 PM, as they always extend the time slot for commentary and pre-empt J!
Douglas Squasoni