Monday, September 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, September 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

We're back! First game of the season and already I'm disappointed :x

I could see these players missing Richard E. Grant, but come ON, people! MELISSA McCARTHY!!! I would expect J! contestants to know the most recent Best Actor / Best Actress Oscar nominees

Picked up SO MUCH TRASH, and I didn't even get it all!

BIBLICAL ANYTHING is a FJ category where my wager is ZERO no matter what the scores tell me to do

ETA: My sole miss in BROADWAY was Oklahoma, because I've never seen Oklahoma (not even the current production)

My man Victor getting caught in the half-response trap :(

Please spin off Bible Jeopardy!
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:32 pm I'm betting the under 20% for how this FJ polls. Anyone want the over? (Exactly 20% will result in a push. Money stays in the pot and rolls over to another wager to be agreed on later.)
4/12 seems to be the board so far for 33.33% and 4/15 with the contestants is 26.7% are kind of numbers that would usually have me say it just squeaks over 20%. Of the four gets it seems like two faced the clue with a lot of extra Bible knowledge coming in which may skew the early returns.

I think you are right that under 20% is the play as there was not going to be much pick a Bible city and get lucky on this one. 16-18% is my guesstimate after 60 votes minimum.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this FJ clue, but I think that it should have been saved for the ToC or the next super tournament. All I could come up with was Gomorrah.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:32 pm I'm betting the under 20% for how this FJ polls. Anyone want the over? (Exactly 20% will result in a push. Money stays in the pot and rolls over to another wager to be agreed on later.)
4/12 seems to be the board so far for 33.33% and 4/15 with the contestants is 26.7% are kind of numbers that would usually have me say it just squeaks over 20%. Of the four gets it seems like two faced the clue with a lot of extra Bible knowledge coming in which may skew the early returns.

I think you are right that under 20% is the play as there was not going to be much pick a Bible city and get lucky on this one. 16-18% is my guesstimate after 60 votes minimum.
I'll help goose down the get percentage early: all of bupkis.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget for me. I'll take the over. 8-)
mujason

Post by mujason »

Today's Final could have been rewritten as a Bible-based wordplay clue, such as:

Remove three letters from a Biblical giant to get this Philistine city, the giant's hometown.

(OLI gets taken out of GOLIATH to form GATH, of course.)
-Jason
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

mujason wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:08 pm Today's Final could have been rewritten as a Bible-based wordplay clue, such as:

Remove three letters from a Biblical giant to get this Philistine city, the giant's hometown.

(OLI gets taken out of GOLIATH to form GATH, of course.)
I like it!
davey

Post by davey »

It does seem this FJ was YKIOYD. I certainly know the story but the hometown rings no bells...I was surprised that the correct response didn't resonate with the name of the site, Tell es-Safi. That's how I spent my :30, trying to come up with a sound-alike Biblical name...
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:42 pm BIBLICAL ANYTHING is a FJ category where my wager is ZERO no matter what the scores tell me to do
You are 2nd place with $15,000, leader $30,000, third $1,000.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Remembered the other comment I wanted to make: Jason took one of my potential stories!

I, too, have a tie my dad tied and have not untied. It's over twenty years old now. I have gotten a second tie which I did myself...once, about 14 years ago... :lol: Dad's tie is a four-in-hand, I did a half windsor...at the same time I tied it, I started realizing just how common and -ugly- the four-in-hand is. It's bad enough the horrid things exist in the first place and then you go and make them -worse- by deliberately introducing asymmetry drawing attention to a most vulnerable target?! Why not just paint a target on your neck and hold a sign that says "STAB HERE." IT'D BE LESS OBVIOUS!

Err...*cough*...yes. Well. *looks side to side* SMOKE BOMB!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:31 pm I made up a place called Golga. At least the first letter was correct.
I invented Goliad.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:36 pm Remembered the other comment I wanted to make: Jason took one of my potential stories!

I, too, have a tie my dad tied and have not untied. It's over twenty years old now. I have gotten a second tie which I did myself...once, about 14 years ago... :lol: Dad's tie is a four-in-hand, I did a half windsor...at the same time I tied it, I started realizing just how common and -ugly- the four-in-hand is. It's bad enough the horrid things exist in the first place and then you go and make them -worse- by deliberately introducing asymmetry drawing attention to a most vulnerable target?! Why not just paint a target on your neck and hold a sign that says "STAB HERE." IT'D BE LESS OBVIOUS!
Or just do like I do and never wear a tie. So much easier.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Golf wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:32 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:42 pm BIBLICAL ANYTHING is a FJ category where my wager is ZERO no matter what the scores tell me to do
You are 2nd place with $15,000, leader $30,000, third $1,000.
My comment is like a bible story: it doesn’t make sense when you take it literally
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $28,400

34 R (2 DDs), 3 W--Missed The Help, could only think of La La Land.

FJ--Since I started tracking my stats last season, this was the first Final where I can say that I NHOI. Didn't grow up in a religious household, the Bible is my kryptonite. Didn't know that Goliath even had a specific homeland.

LT: Melissa McCarthy, Thunderbird, Corvette, soybean
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

What a great way to start the season! Jason showed no signs of slowdown even with the 6-week (or even better, technically three month) break, and once again cruised to a landslide victory! I liked how he went for the bottom values too, it seems as if though James inspired him!

That FJ was very tough. I loved Holly's response and Alex's reaction to it, though!
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

For FJ I knew it was a single syllable city and was pretty sure it started with G and ended in "th", but the closest I could get was Goth. Kinda doubt the judges would have given me that. Now if Goth had been correct and I'd written Gath...
In and out of the pool four times
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

reddpen wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 am For FJ I knew it was a single syllable city and was pretty sure it started with G and ended in "th", but the closest I could get was Goth. Kinda doubt the judges would have given me that. Now if Goth had been correct and I'd written Gath...
"Goliath of Goth" would be pretty awesome, actually. I'm envisioning a rock fight backed by Marilyn Manson music....
earendel

Post by earendel »

I get to start the season with an instaget for FJ! Of course 7 years of seminary studies didn't hurt any. :mrgreen:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Leander

Post by Leander »

No idea on FJ for me. I kept thinking the name was on the tip of my tongue, but whatever it was, it wasn’t Gath
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

I had found the wording of the last (or final) clue in this edition of the program to had been very vulnerable to being misunderstood (it could had been improved before being part of the program).