Tuesday, September 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:37 pm A Sunday early in the year made me think of the Super Bowl first, so possibly taking that out would have made me get it quicker...(And yes, I now know it wasn't called the Super Bowl until the year of that Fugitive finale...)
The Ed Sullivan Show was usually on in my house, so I assume we watched it that Sunday, though I have no memory...but I remember watching The Fugitive 3 years later...!
I was looking up the history of the Super Bowl name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl

and had to laugh at: The leagues' owners chose the name New England Patriots.–NFL Championship Game",[10]...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Very nice comments from Sean, glad you shared with us. Too bad some have to go home, but none of you are losers. I loved Valerie's line about keeping her accent for marketing purposes :).

I detoured very briefly trying to think of another series with potential cliffhanger or finale then got to Beatles and Variety show quickly. Then... about ten seconds of stress remembering Ed Sullivan's name. I knew it was a "really big shew", lol. The Sunday TOM helped me keep focus that I had the right show, the date alone was not helpful. In retrospect, I suppose February has been a sweeps month even 55 years ago?

I don't know when Jason is going to get dethroned. But gunslingers come out every day, and it just takes one obscure Bible clue to slingshot from underdog to new champ.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Finally found the episode. Somehow I had to put JUST the right search results into Dailymotion or it wouldn't come up. For some reason not even "2019-09-10" gave me that EVEN THOUGH THAT'S IN THE GODDAMN TITLE. Why does Google love to gaslight me by deliberately ignoring words "even when I put them in goddamn quotes"?

After scrambling around all day at work, and then spending literally HOURS trying to find this freaking episode after WNEM yammered on for hours and hours about a nonexistant tornado, I was too pissed to play along. I doubt I'd have gotten much better results on a less stressful day, because this board was absolutely impossible.

That said I did precall "Ska" in the music genre category, and surprised myself by not recognizing a single thing in the fish category or the fashion category.

How did we have LTAM with 11 clues still on the board? This isn't a celebrity game.

Any reason I should know "Mary Westmacott" was Agatha Christie and not any of the 847,000 other female mystery novelists out there? They kinda failed to narrow that down.

Not even a guess on FJ! Famous TV events from the early 1960s gave me nothing. There were just WAY too many precalls and I couldn't sift through them.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 FJ

Post by Category 13 »

Robert K S wrote: 1964-02-09 should be an unforgettable date for a Beatles fan, whether or not they were old enough to have watched it live.
I would have gotten it on the date alone. Throwing in the hint that it was a ratings blockbuster was more than enough to make it a slam dunk instaget.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Valerie was a delightful contestant.
If not for the arbitrary guess on "___ like a pig", she would have stopped the runnaway. Jason still would have had a crush but it would have been interesting with a more difficult FJ.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Not much I really have to say about this game TBH, though congrats to Jason for making it another runaway and for surpassing Dan Pawson and Ben Ingram's regular-play cash winnings!

This was also my first FJ get in quite a long while. I took a History of Rock and Roll college course this year, so that helped me reach the answer I needed here.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

davey wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:37 pm A Sunday early in the year made me think of the Super Bowl first, so possibly taking that out would have made me get it quicker...(And yes, I now know it wasn't called the Super Bowl until the year of that Fugitive finale...)
For the record, the Super Bowl, i.e., the NFL-AFL championship game, didn't even exist until the year of the Fugitive finale (it was first played January 15, 1967, for the championship of the 1966 season). The Super Bowl name didn't become official until Super Bowl III (January 12, 1969, the championship of the 1968 season).

The championship games of the 1963 AFL and NFL seasons took place long before February 9, 1964 -- they were held January 5, 1964, and December 29, 1963, respectively.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,000
43 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: ixnay

Jason shows once again that J! is all about 1) buzzer timing, 2) finding and converting DDs, 3) wagering, and 4) solving FJ!

I think I would have had FJ! easily regardless of whether the clue included the day of the week.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:06 am Valerie was a delightful contestant.
If not for the arbitrary guess on "___ like a pig", she would have stopped the runnaway. Jason still would have had a crush but it would have been interesting with a more difficult FJ.
Frustrating part about that idiom is...pigs don't sweat. Apparently it comes from the manufacture of pig iron.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:42 pm I thought today's FJ was as easy as yesterday's was hard. And it still would have been an instaget for me without the "Sunday."
Yeah, I'm not sure why they thought "Sunday" was needed.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Weekly poll request: I have seen an episode of The Ed Sullivan Show.
earendel

Post by earendel »

So now I'm 2 for 2 on FJ!s. Valerie's accent was indeed pleasant but her calling out the full title of each category and adding a polite, "please" after each one caused the game to drag. Had she been a little quicker, she might have been able to break the lock.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

earendel wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 am So now I'm 2 for 2 on FJ!s. Valerie's accent was indeed pleasant but her calling out the full title of each category and adding a polite, "please" after each one caused the game to drag. Had she been a little quicker, she might have been able to break the lock.
And just generally pausing and giggling, albeit in that charming British way
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 pm Sean posted on The Jeopardy! Fan and on Reddit that Alex told the players that the writers added the word "Sunday" to the FJ! clue.

If this had been the clue's wording:

The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show, February 9, 1964

Does that change anyone's get into a possible miss? Sean also shared that Jason said he would not have got it right without that day of the week hint.

For me it's no difference in getting the fast solve.

Sean: Thank you for the mention of JBoard in your remarks and comments are fine in this thread at any time now that the game has aired in at least one market in the U.S.

Tough draw for you sandwiched with two players so good on the buzzer timing and sorry you were a day late from playing a FJ! clue you did know.

easy get..didn't even realise sunday was in the clue...would have made no difference it wasn't there...couldn't have told you the day of the week those dudes were on that show...hell...couldn't even tell you the month or the year...just knew that show had a crapload of viewers to watch those dudes perform
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 pm Ataturk! Still kicking myself. One of those cases where the name is familiar but nothing's coming.

I'll take FOLLOW THE LIEDER over PIG LATIN any day of the week.

With "Prejudice" in the title, it had to be Jane Austen
hells yeah...even i got that right and i don't know crap about british literature...well any literature for that matter
redtie103

Post by redtie103 »

The contestant coordinators told us to keep things moving and don't say please (I'm actually a pretty polite person, but not as polite as most British people :D )
redtie103

Post by redtie103 »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 pm Ataturk! Still kicking myself. One of those cases where the name is familiar but nothing's coming.

I'll take FOLLOW THE LIEDER over PIG LATIN any day of the week.

With "Prejudice" in the title, it had to be Jane Austen
I got Virginia Woolf stuck in my brain which I knew wasn't right, so I'm glad I didn't buzz in.

For some reason, I thought his name was Mustafa Kemel Araturk. Perhaps it's how people sometimes will roll the T into an R?
redtie103

Post by redtie103 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:38 pm Finally found the episode. Somehow I had to put JUST the right search results into Dailymotion or it wouldn't come up. For some reason not even "2019-09-10" gave me that EVEN THOUGH THAT'S IN THE GODDAMN TITLE. Why does Google love to gaslight me by deliberately ignoring words "even when I put them in goddamn quotes"?

After scrambling around all day at work, and then spending literally HOURS trying to find this freaking episode after WNEM yammered on for hours and hours about a nonexistant tornado, I was too pissed to play along. I doubt I'd have gotten much better results on a less stressful day, because this board was absolutely impossible.

That said I did precall "Ska" in the music genre category, and surprised myself by not recognizing a single thing in the fish category or the fashion category.

How did we have LTAM with 11 clues still on the board? This isn't a celebrity game.

Any reason I should know "Mary Westmacott" was Agatha Christie and not any of the 847,000 other female mystery novelists out there? They kinda failed to narrow that down.

Not even a guess on FJ! Famous TV events from the early 1960s gave me nothing. There were just WAY too many precalls and I couldn't sift through them.
I watched the replay and realized my face showed some frustration that I couldn't jump in on Mary Westmacott. My sister in law gave me this fun fact while I was studying and I was hoping to get it for her, but alas, JasonZ is just a buzzer whisperer 8-)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

redtie103 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:28 am

Alex told us after that he had the writers add the word "Sunday" to the clue. Jason said he wouldn't have gotten it without it. I laughed once I realized the answer. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of that band so I had listened to a bunch of their music and read their Wikipedia page but it just didn't come to me under the lights with the music playing.
same for me...i think they are overrated...they sure are no cannibal corpse
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Sunday helped pin the correct question. It probably matters less now when fewer people watch shows when they actually air. Then you had no choice.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.