Wednesday, September 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

These boards played hard for me and I got nowhere fast on FJ

I need more sleep
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

That was some AMAZING game playing by Jason! He's quickly setting himself up to be the second superchamp this year, he is so fun to watch! Next goal is 50K... I hope he can reach it!

But congrats to him on becoming the new official best 10th regular-season Jeopardy player of all time!

Instaget FJ.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

A pretty decent FJ clue that let's regular people solve it and feel good about it. Obvious in retrospect, not so simple if you don't associate it with children's literature. It seems to transcend "children's" literature and fit more into what we call Young Adult.

I suppose Alex is unaware of his dissing of Jason's strategy by crediting it to James H. Jason has played just the way he pre-ordained he would play and only saw a maximum of 2(?) of James' games. The only difference is that he doesn't seek to maximize his upside no matter what the category in FJ. It is real money if you lose it.

Jason knows a lot of obscure material. I loved the petit fours WAG. And TIL that it is a food, thanks to Alex.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 pm I was happy to pull a rare modern pop music get (Ariana Grande; that song is featured in the KidzBop commercials that play on Nick Jr.)

I hope Jason's DD1 wager puts to rest all the nonsense about how his wagering is too conservative.
i got that one thanx to one of those music tds
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 pm These boards played hard for me and I got nowhere fast on FJ

I need more sleep
wtf, dude...i thought you are a literature guru?
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

polaris wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:01 pm I hope his mother (?) is happy that he referenced her birthday (?) (was he going with June 1, 1943? I assume so, maybe it was random) because he cost himself over $19,000 with the shout-out. This would be less unfortunate if he hadn't literally wagered almost exactly $6,143 a few clues earlier, where it was an appropriate amount, and could have easily done so then.

That came out far harsher than I meant it to, because I am beginning to really like this guy. I hope he gets the decima tomorrow.
Judging by the heart sign he made to the audience, I assume the 143 of the 6143 bet was for I Love You. Not sure if there was any rhyme or reason to the 6.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:30 pm What does sausage have to do with a waltz? I almost WAGed "polka".
"Vienna Blood Waltz" as opposed to Vienna blood sausage; it was a throwaway joke. The real giveaway was Johann Strauss, Jr., AKA "The Waltz King."
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:19 pm He's quickly setting himself up to be the second superchamp this year, he is so fun to watch!
He became the second superchamp of 2019 in July with his 6th win.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:28 am
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:19 pm He's quickly setting himself up to be the second superchamp this year, he is so fun to watch!
He became the second superchamp of 2019 in July with his 6th win.
You're right, my bad. I meant "megachamp" as in "champs with 10 or more wins".
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:11 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:30 pm What does sausage have to do with a waltz? I almost WAGed "polka".
"Vienna Blood Waltz" as opposed to Vienna blood sausage; it was a throwaway joke. The real giveaway was Johann Strauss, Jr., AKA "The Waltz King."
Any relation to Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago?
earendel

Post by earendel »

Now I'm 3 for 3 on FJ! Jason is an impressive champion.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

mungar wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:07 am
polaris wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:01 pm I hope his mother (?) is happy that he referenced her birthday (?) (was he going with June 1, 1943? I assume so, maybe it was random) because he cost himself over $19,000 with the shout-out. This would be less unfortunate if he hadn't literally wagered almost exactly $6,143 a few clues earlier, where it was an appropriate amount, and could have easily done so then.

That came out far harsher than I meant it to, because I am beginning to really like this guy. I hope he gets the decima tomorrow.
Judging by the heart sign he made to the audience, I assume the 143 of the 6143 bet was for I Love You. Not sure if there was any rhyme or reason to the 6.
Aha, I had never heard of 143 = I Love You before, but cool. Definitely should have gone with $20,143 or something like that in that case. imo of course, I'm not the one in front of lights with all those racks on the line, it's easy for me to Thursday morning quarterback
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Plactus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:59 pm
Shaquebanisa wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:08 pm FJ—Instaget. Plains state=Kansas and gem=emerald (or ruby, which is what I thought of first)
Not ruby. They were silver in the book.
I immediately guessed "Wizard of Oz", but then almost changed my mind, because I knew the slippers were only ruby in the movie, completely forgetting the Emerald city.
redtie103

Post by redtie103 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 pm I suppose Alex is unaware of his dissing of Jason's strategy by crediting it to James H. Jason has played just the way he pre-ordained he would play and only saw a maximum of 2(?) of James' games. The only difference is that he doesn't seek to maximize his upside no matter what the category in FJ. It is real money if you lose it.
At this point, Jason has had access to all of JamesH's games. This week of games taped on July 22. Next week is July 23.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

redtie103 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 pm I suppose Alex is unaware of his dissing of Jason's strategy by crediting it to James H. Jason has played just the way he pre-ordained he would play and only saw a maximum of 2(?) of James' games. The only difference is that he doesn't seek to maximize his upside no matter what the category in FJ. It is real money if you lose it.
At this point, Jason has had access to all of JamesH's games. This week of games taped on July 22. Next week is July 23.
Yes, at THIS point. But Jason is deploying the same strategy he left off with. He posted here early in his run that he would play to win early. Sorry, I tried to find his post to confirm my claim. I like both players (and you too!), but I think Alex is improperly attributing Jason's strategy. He's not the next James Holzhauer, he's the first Jason Zuffranieriririe.
I must disclaim that I couldn't find James' stated strategy, and he may have tweaked it some for the new taping session, but he already had his own style and is far from a copycat.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I looked at Jason's ending score 41143 and saw that as April 11, 1943. Still most likely his mother's birthday, whichever date is correct. I trust from his gestures that she was in the audience.

I'm a little bugged at the 5 planets visible to the naked eye clue. There are six - I'm pretty sure you can see Earth with the naked eye. Went with Saturn anyway. I'm sure I've seen a photo of all 6 at once. Probably an Astronomy Picture of the Day from NASA.
--Peter
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yay, my first correct FJ of the season!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:03 pm I looked at Jason's ending score 41143 and saw that as April 11, 1943. Still most likely his mother's birthday,
Yes, he stated that on FB.

And of course Jason has been influenced by James's style in the new season, and there's nothing wrong with that. He wasn't starting at the bottom of the board in his Season 35 games. The biggest difference is that for the most part, Jason has remained relatively conservative in his DD wagering (with the exception of his low-risk all-in wager on the SJ DD on Wednesday when he had $5,400 and his opponents had $0 and -$200)

I had the response to FJ written down before Alex finished reading the clue.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

As soon as I saw Bytown, I predicted a triple stumper. These contestants are not good enough to play the board from bottom to top.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R (Missed Lisa E., The Paris Hotel(Said Georgian. Knew it had George in it.), and Proverbs $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Blacksmithing, Thank You For Your Service, Cuzco, Cossacks, (Minuet), Ottawa, Gigue

The second Jason to win 9 games on Jeopardy!

Carolyn was only four years off with Peter Pan, however Peter Pan is an English novel and unlikely to have a plains state.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni