Thursday, September 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, September 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, September 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN MUSEUMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
President Johnson signed a law that added 2 words to the name of this museum established in 1946, D.C.’s most popular

Jason Zuffranieri: 37600+3000=40600 (10x = $273,843)
Jeff Harbin: 12800-2800=10000
Eric Harp: 2000+1999=3999

Correct response:
Spoiler
(National) Air and Space Museum (Note: “National” was not needed to be correct) (Jeff – “and Space”)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 7800+6000
Jeff: 4600+4600
Jason: 25200+4000

Coryats
Jason: 30400
Jeff: 10200
Eric: 2000

Combined: 42,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 16800
Jeff: 4200
Eric: minus 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

With a lot of new people in the seats for the afternoon taping session there was an extra audience pop audible as Alex entered.

The opening graphics recycled back to Monday's set.

Alex of course would have no way of remembering the FJ! clue from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6308

but I did since I added it this summer. Jason's chat was the pointing out that calendar coincidence and also naming his fiancee April.

It was a day early as I expected something about Ken Burns and Country Music tomorrow leading to the Sunday premiere. 8 nights and 16 hours vs. how much trivia can be learned has me torn whether to invest the time. I have to remind myself how helpful it turned out to be watching The Roosevelts a few years back.

A nice run by Jason in COUNTRY MUSIC going from 6800 to 15000. It was a run for me as well even though that category is far my area of expertise, so very playable to the general public. One clue was a reminder of a LL Q earlier this week.

A surprise for me 4/5 in YOGA POSES and I know I have to give credit to Wii-Fit and Balance Board.

Eric had one of the all-time great misses and I'll work on a video clip in a bit.

The FJ! category had me begging not to have to flip a MoMA or MMoA coin or to sort through L.A. names. The clue was more to my liking for sure where to go and only leaving working out the name correctly. I added National just to make sure I had it all. Jeff misreading what the clue wanted fortunately for him did not cost him anything.

Jason found the last 4 DDs of S35 and first 10 of S36 to fall one shy of James who played 15 consecutively. Ken Jennings, I don't think, ever even played ten in a row. As good as Dave Madden was I doubt he had that big of a streak, though don't care enough to look.

For wins Jason is a 10 and all others who won 10 also won their 11th.

For money in regular play it's:
Ken, James, David, Julia, Matt, Austin & Arthur ahead of Jason
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Ugh, my first FJ miss of the season. Was racking my brain on DC museums and didn't come up with the right one EVEN THOUGH I HAVE LITERALLY BEEN THERE. :oops:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I was sure Air & Space was the most popular museum in D.C. but could not for the life of me think of which two words could be eliminated to give it its former name. ("If you take out 'air' and 'space', you're just left with "National Museum", which can't be right!") Tricky clue, I think.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:43 am Enjoy. I did.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P6zfD ... UeyKZVpjBg
I can't believe I felt compelled to look up Boss Hogg's "real" name...Jefferson Davis Hogg.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:33 pm I was sure Air & Space was the most popular museum in D.C. but could not for the life of me think of which two words could be eliminated to give it its former name. ("If you take out 'air' and 'space', you're just left with "National Museum", which can't be right!") Tricky clue, I think.
I figured the two words were “and Space”; I didn’t realize “National” was also in the name so I wasn’t sure about a museum being originally named just “Air Museum” but knew it was the most popular in DC.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone else hear JG's voice crack on "Alex Trebek"?

Surprisingly good start for me, as I was 13/15 at the first break. Impressed myself with some good gets like Pol Pot and aide-de-camp.

Daily Double in "Country Music"? I would Holzhauer that in a heartbeat. Most of them I needed only the pictures of the singers.

I had four category runs in J!: September, Everyday Football Terms, It's Hyphenated, and of course, Country Music. Overall was 24/30 on the J! round.

Also ran Non-Adverb-Ly. Had a brainfart on "cervix" for a 4/5 in that category.

No "Red Green Show" in Canadian TV"? Boo. Can't say I've heard of "Stargate" or "Orphan Black".

Tried the precall game on the category but my mind just went completely blank. "Air and Space Museum" did flit through my mind briefly, but I swatted it away because we weren't in space in 1946 so there's no way we could've had a space museum back then. Ended up with nothing.

Lach Trash: Snap, assisted living, "the old one/man"
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I almost certainly would have missed this clue had they not included the tidbit about it being the most popular DC museum, which I know. I was already going down a "civil rights" rabbit trail before I read that last part of the clue. (Though compared to expectations, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the museum when I visited; I much preferred the American History Museum).
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm Tried the precall game on the category but my mind just went completely blank. "Air and Space Museum" did flit through my mind briefly, but I swatted it away because we weren't in space in 1946 so there's no way we could've had a space museum back then. Ended up with nothing.
The museum was first established (as the National Air Museum) in 1946 (as the clue noted). Wikipedia explains, "The space race in the 1950s and 1960s led to the renaming of the museum to the National Air and Space Museum." As the FJ clue also noted, President Johnson signed the law changing the name of the museum, which puts the renaming in the mid-to-late '60s - by which time we were in space.

Just like James used to do, Jason left money on the table with his FJ wager. He could have safely bet up to $11,999 and protected his lock. Still, huge congrats to Jason on another dominating performance and on joining the elite double-digit wins club. He sure has been fun to watch.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:49 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm Tried the precall game on the category but my mind just went completely blank. "Air and Space Museum" did flit through my mind briefly, but I swatted it away because we weren't in space in 1946 so there's no way we could've had a space museum back then. Ended up with nothing.
The museum was first established (as the National Air Museum) in 1946 (as the clue noted). Wikipedia explains, "The space race in the 1950s and 1960s led to the renaming of the museum to the National Air and Space Museum." As the FJ clue also noted, President Johnson signed the law changing the name of the museum, which puts the renaming in the mid-to-late '60s - by which time we were in space.
I parsed the clue wrong, because I thought it was " signed a law...in 1946," and not "this museum established in 1946" and totally blew past "Johnson" entirely. Johnson wasn't president in 1946, duh. RTFC.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Blasted country music category was ridiculously easy, even at the maximum dollar amount. I think that's the thing whenever they have a celebrity doing the clue. They want to make sure the celebrity doesn't spill the beans about whatever the clue is, so it's always something that is ridiculously obvious. For example, they will have a celebrity say, "Hi, I'm Tom Brady. I'm a six-time winning quarterback in this sport."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:06 pm Blasted country music category was ridiculously easy, even at the maximum dollar amount. I think that's the thing whenever they have a celebrity doing the clue. They want to make sure the celebrity doesn't spill the beans about whatever the clue is, so it's always something that is ridiculously obvious.
I'm kinda surprised at how often they have clues about the Judds, since they didn't have any major hits after 1991, and even Wynonna hasn't had any really big hits since '96. Guessing the "family" TOM and relationship to Ashley Judd are enough for most people to recognize them?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

They should have been picky about it. The museum is the NATIONAL Air and Space Museum.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm They should have been picky about it. The museum is the NATIONAL Air and Space Museum.
Meh. From Wikipedia: "The National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institution, also called the Air and Space Museum . . ."

For the record, I wrote "What is Smithsonian Air and Space?"
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Yay! I got FJ! I've been to D.C. many times but never visited this museum. Is it worth it? I hate crowds

No comparisons to James today. Hallelujah!

YOGA POSES was too easy! They shoulda thrown pigeon or corpse pose in the mix. Child's pose was way overvalued, and yet somehow a TS.

Orphan Black Mirror would make a fun BEFORE AND AFTER, but now we'll never see it

I'm only on episode 2 of The Vietnam War! I'm not ready for Country Music!
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

AWESOME job by our champion! 2019 is now the second year of Jeopardy with two champs that won 10 or more games! Jason is truly an incredible player. Only question is, how long can he keep it up? I guess we'll find out starting tomorrow!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: All-Time money winners

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: For money in regular play it's:
Ken, James, David, Julia, Matt, Austin & Arthur ahead of Jason
So far this season, Jason has left a whopping $42,853 on the table in his four lock game FJ rounds, with a net 'loss' of $29,254 on three correct responses.
That would have been enough to overtake Arthur Chu in regular game winnings, and pass Seth Wilson for 24th place on the All-Time accumilated winnings list.
Jason currently sits 27th on the latter.

In his two Season 35 lock games, Jason left a total of $23,398 on the table but only suffered a net 'loss' of $2,199, because of the small wager on an incorrect FJ in game 6.