Friday, September 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This is the most recent presidential election year when both major presidential candidates were residents of the same state

Jason Zuffranieri: 44400+14000=58400 (11x = $332,243)
Jack Gutshall: 5600-2000=3600
Tabitha Walker: 1400+1399=2799

Correct response:
Spoiler
2016 (Jack – 1996)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 1800+1800
Jason: 16000+6000
Jason: 28800+8000

Coryats
Jason: 33,200
Jack: 5600
Tabitha: 1400

Combined: 40,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 12800
Jack: 400
Tabitha: 2600
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

Fuck, I love this guy now. I have uet to see such drastic improvement from someomes first week to their second. Thats the James inflience I think, I imagine many more 10+ day chanps who previously would have won 5 or 6 but with James' strategy do amazing.

That being said, I am disappointed. If you have a chance to get the hest non-Holzhauer single-day score, you go for it no matter what the category.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jason's good luck dad tied tie worked its magic again for the big payday as he was off and running with $10K in the first segment.

The opening graphics were the Tuesday set again so it may be the staff only created three versions.

The FJ! clue is about getting it right and not about how long or short it takes to get there. Today's clue required a year and it was not necessary to recall both candidates that met the requirements for that year or to recall that particular state.

Before time was up I wrote 2016. That is what matters.

Jason's sweep of the week included finding 14/15 DDs and converting 12 of them. He keeps the streak alive of all 10-game winners also getting the 11th win. Jason has surpassed Arthur Chu's money total in regular play and tied him for victories.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:26 amBefore time was up I wrote 2016. That is what matters.
Haha--where/when else did your thinking wander?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:26 amBefore time was up I wrote 2016. That is what matters.
You weren't asking me, but as for me... I came up with it quickly, spent the next 20 seconds trying to figure out if there was something I didn't know, then went with the right thing.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

polaris wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:18 am

That being said, I am disappointed. If you have a chance to get the hest non-Holzhauer single-day score, you go for it no matter what the category.
Pretty easy to say when you have no skin in the game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:30 pm
Here it goes:

My first problem was using the break to tally my scores and the contestant Coryats. Because of the way clues are selected in the Holzhauerian Era I could not tally up categories for myself until the round was completed since all of the top row was last played. In the old days I could add up my numbers as categories were finished.

The FJ! category did not give away that it was going to be recent. I considered PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES to be wide open and figured I could sort it through it fine in 30 seconds. Mistake as I was not ready as I thought in this first week of the season to have quick recall for things I know.

The clue led me to think it was going to be Reagan to present for recent and I did not do the smart and orderly thing of beginning with the most recent election. That could have been a quick and logical method to be done faster.

Instead I found myself running into multiple states to waste time as I threw in residences, places of elected office and birthplaces. Considering presidents going for a second term and adding in D.C. to the mix did not help.

That was the presidents approach and then going through candidates like McCain and Romney had me eating up more of the 30 seconds, especially when Mitt has MI, UT and MA ties.

As time was winding down I still had not worked my way to the correct year. It was only desperation and not wanting a blank page that I wrote the correct response even though I had not managed to have the losing candidate's name occur to me at all during think time. It was more an instinctual thing of utilizing one of my rules for the FJ! round of not forgetting NY.

Definitely a brow wiper though it will look like a line drive in the box score tomorrow. It reminds me of Oscar Best Picture recall as I can run the order of lots of decades while sometimes it's the 20-teens when I have to work a little harder to get them even though they are the most recent.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I considered Hillary to be from Illinois, but when I had counted back to Reagan, I assumed I did something wrong. Put down 2004, just to have something. First miss of the season.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:35 pm I considered Hillary to be from Illinois, but when I had counted back to Reagan, I assumed I did something wrong. Put down 2004, just to have something. First miss of the season.
I think getting Gath on Monday gets you more street cred.
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

Hugo Z wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:42 pm
polaris wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:18 am

True but I'll stand by it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:35 pm I considered Hillary to be from Illinois, but when I had counted back to Reagan, I assumed I did something wrong. Put down 2004, just to have something. First miss of the season.
Just as an FYI, the time before 2016 was 1944 (FDR and Dewey both from NY).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Mottoes and Crossword Clues.

Strangely "flush" at $200 was my only miss in Hunting. Just couldn't flush it out and the TOMs seemed vague.

Not even a guess on FJ! I blew right past 2016 since a.) I didn't think a "most recent" would be THE most recent, and b.) I didn't know Agent Orange was a resident of NY.

Lach Trash: odium
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Hugo Z wrote:
polaris wrote: That being said, I am disappointed. If you have a chance to get the hest non-Holzhauer single-day score, you go for it no matter what the category.
Jason is now 7 out of 11 for getting FJ correct, including the last four in a row. He could stand to loosen up a bit on his wagers.
This week alone, he has left a total of $62,052 on the table in lock games. If he had bet the maximum safe amount on all five games, he would still be $48,453 ahead of his actual winnings, even with the incorrect Final on Monday's game.

That will most likely be the only chance he'll have to break Roger Craig's former benchmark. (without risking losiing the game)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

The most dominating performance of the post-Holzhauer era. No one's mentioned yet that a Jason won on Friday the 13th...
This year, two math majors have won double-digit games. This is great and all, but I'm afraid TPTB won't pick any more of us to be on the show for a long time. :lol:
Hoping for a third lap
davey

Post by davey »

It made no difference, and is petty considering how things turned out, but Tabitha said negligence was the opposite of attentive, when the clue called for an adjective, and I was disappointed that no reversal ever came...
But at least she got the perfectly simple FJ, which I whiffed, speaking of epic fails....I wish I could say it's because Trump is from Florida...
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 pm
Just as an FYI, the time before 2016 was 1944 (FDR and Dewey both from NY).
I went with 1944. For some idiotic reason, I decided to start from 2000 and work backwards, just assuming it wouldn't be something recent. D'oh.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,400
49 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Croatia

Jason has turned into a bona fide buzzsaw. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

On FJ!, I started working backwards, but I started at 2012. It took me about 15 seconds to realize I hadn't considered the most recent election. Trump is a New York icon, and Hillary "moved" there in preparation for her 2000 Senate run. Not my fastest solve, but I'll take a week of smiley faces to start the season.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:52 pm It made no difference, and is petty considering how things turned out, but Tabitha said negligence was the opposite of attentive, when the clue called for an adjective, and I was disappointed that no reversal ever came...
But at least she got the perfectly simple FJ, which I whiffed, speaking of epic fails....I wish I could say it's because Trump is from Florida...
Nothing petty about it. If they specify that they want an adjective, any other part of speech Is incorrect and should not be accepted.