Friday, September 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, September 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

I was muddling around the '70s and '80s when my brother said, "It has to be 2016, right?" I might have seen the light in time if left to my devices, but it wasn't looking good, so I'll assume it would have been a miss anyway. My bad for letting my guard down; I had my fingers in my ears and heard my brother asking a question, and since my brother isn't usually the one to ruin FJ for me, I unplugged my ears and had him repeat himself.
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

Anyone else get "Bowhunting" for Archery? How 'bout pronouncing ""Nguyen" as "Win?" Counted them both right.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

thenextofken wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:11 pm Anyone else get "Bowhunting" for Archery? How 'bout pronouncing ""Nguyen" as "Win?" Counted them both right.
I remember being told "just say win" by a Nguyen. Not to say that it was correct but simply the best that could realistically be hoped for.
I'm smart and I want respect.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

FINALLY, that $50K plus game from Jason I was rooting for! Fantastic performance all week, I'm loving how much he continues to improve!

I can certainly see Jason winning all the games next week, too. If he keeps improving at the rate he has been, he'll remain ASTOUNDINGLY tough to beat!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

thenextofken wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:11 pm Anyone else get "Bowhunting" for Archery? How 'bout pronouncing ""Nguyen" as "Win?" Counted them both right.
Definitely count "Win" for Nguyen.

I counted my "crossbow" response and I would count bowhunting as I would think the clue was not pinned to "archery" only.

I read about the Maryland laws here: http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hu ... s-airguns/
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Is it just me or did Tabitha say "trawling" instead of "trolling" and should have been ruled incorrect?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

bluejaylink wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:58 pm Is it just me or did Tabitha say "trawling" instead of "trolling" and should have been ruled incorrect?
She did say "trawling," but the terms are interchangeable.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: regular-season earnings board (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

John Boy wrote: (Jason) seems to be getting stronger as he goes along. He's in the top 10 all-time in regular-season earnings and is picking up speed. If he gets past #7 on the list he has a long way to go to reach #6, so it will be an interesting time to keep watching.
"a long way to go"; You mean like, next week?
#6 and #5 are 'only' $80,000 away, so with a performance(s) like this game, he could pass them in just two more games.
After that, it'd take only one more game (or two, if he has another fluke low score win) to surpass Julia and Dave and take over 3rd place.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:08 am
bluejaylink wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:58 pm Is it just me or did Tabitha say "trawling" instead of "trolling" and should have been ruled incorrect?
I thought that trawling was with a net and trolling was with a line. I think the clue said line.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:52 pm It made no difference, and is petty considering how things turned out, but Tabitha said negligence was the opposite of attentive, when the clue called for an adjective, and I was disappointed that no reversal ever came...
But at least she got the perfectly simple FJ, which I whiffed, speaking of epic fails....I wish I could say it's because Trump is from Florida...
i heard that as well
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 pm
Jason has turned into a bona fide buzzsaw. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
I think that pretty well sums up my reaction to the guy. We don't often see contestants who are both, and watching him is a great pleasure.

On this FJ I immediately started thinking of early presidents, when it seemed everyone came from Virginia (OK, I know, not John Adams). Took me a minute before I mentally moved to the present to start thinking backwards, and lo and behold stumbled onto Trump + Clinton + NY = BINGO.

I get to start the new season with a perfect 5-for-5 FJ week. Now I can die a happy man. That plus at least one clue that Jason didn't get (Odium) that I did. I'm tearing it up in my home version of Fantasy J! and Jason is still kicking my butt and making me cry for mama. He's now 7th on the all-time regular season list with a few more wins needed to take the next step up the list. Could get really interesting.

Retroactive best of luck to the champ.
John Boy

Re: regular-season earnings board (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

Category 13 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 am
John Boy wrote: (Jason) seems to be getting stronger as he goes along. He's in the top 10 all-time in regular-season earnings and is picking up speed. If he gets past #7 on the list he has a long way to go to reach #6, so it will be an interesting time to keep watching.
"a long way to go"; You mean like, next week?
#6 and #5 are 'only' $80,000 away, so with a performance(s) like this game, he could pass them in just two more games.
After that, it'd take only one more game (or two, if he has another fluke low score win) to surpass Julia and Dave and take over 3rd place.
"Only $80,000?" Yeah, the guy is good, but I don't take for granted that he's going to keep knocking off $40K wins. Plus when I made that comment he had het to pass $280K, so he actually had a lot further to go than another $80K. He might eventually pass KJ, but I'm not taking anything for granted, and yeah he still has a long way to go.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Trolling, and $600 & $1000 in Live Entertainment.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Odium, Armenian, Croatia, Socrates

One of the J!6 clues was poorly written as Reed is the 65th most popular surname in the US while Bell is the 67th most popular in the US. In fact, there are only 3,294 more people in the US named Reed then there are named Bell. Probably the trickiest J!6 clue in history.
Douglas Squasoni
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:35 pm I considered Hillary to be from Illinois, but when I had counted back to Reagan, I assumed I did something wrong. Put down 2004, just to have something. First miss of the season.
Just as an FYI, the time before 2016 was 1944 (FDR and Dewey both from NY).
And that’s exactly what I said, having inexplicably skipped over 2016 on my trip back through time.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

*raises hand* yup
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

bluejaylink wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:25 am
I thought that trawling was with a net and trolling was with a line. I think the clue said line.
Looks like you're right. Having listened to Tabitha's response again, though, it sounds to me as though it could plausibly be heard as either word.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:41 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:25 am
Looks like you're right. Having listened to Tabitha's response again, though, it sounds to me as though it could plausibly be heard as either word.
But what about definition 2 under trawl-noun on the page you linked?
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

I definitely think Tabitha should have been ruled incorrect for saying "negligence" instead of "negligent", as the latter response would've kept the part of speech intact. Ultimately it made no major difference in the grand scheme of things, but she was lucky she even got to play FJ after giving that response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Am I the only one who finds it dirty when the writers do a "The last X where Y happened" clue when Y happened in the most recent example of X?

Not only do I find it exceptionally misleading and easy to overlook, I also find it makes for a very uninteresting clue.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

^I actually find it interesting. I find that I actually learn something instead of getting mad about missing the most recent event.

(Of course, it also helps that I got it right, but that's besides the point...)
アタックチャンス!