Tuesday, September 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NATIONAL ANTHEMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
With lyrics by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier, it debuted on June 24, 1880, at a celebration of St. Jean Baptiste Day

Jason Zuffranieri: 23000-17700=5300 (13X = $361,943)
Helen Lyons: 5400-5400=0
Colin Kennedy: 20300-20199=101

Correct response:
Spoiler
”O Canada” (Jason – La Marseillaise) (Helen – the Marseillaise) (Colin – La Maseillaise)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 400+1000
Colin: 4200+2500
Colin: 11500+6000

Coryats
Jason: 23000
Helen: 5400
Colin: 15000

Combined: 43,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 11800
Helen: 3400
Colin: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex opening the DJ! round: One of the tricks to beating our champion Jason is discovering the Daily Doubles before he does. Colin, that might be some good advice for you.

Colin found DD2 and DD3 to add 8500 to his score yet he still trailed by 2700 entering the FJ! round.

With a triple miss Alex's advice needed to be about FJ! round wagering as the way the round played out opened the door for Helen and especially for Colin to have won the game.

It would have been a tough way to end a streak if Jason had bet the cover of 17601 to be at 5399 on a miss and Helen had sat pat with her 5400 to steal the match by a buck. Colin was all set to take advantage of a triple miss clue and instead narrowly escaped with second place.

The FJ! clue had me matching the players for the simpleton path of connecting the dots. I did try one level up of wondering if it was too easy and detoured to Haiti. Of course I have no idea about their national anthem along with 190+ other countries. At no point did I attempt a thought path of any other country with French origins.

Easy pickings for many to notch a quick solve. My bad for the miss.

Good luck to the ToC competitors as the tea leaves in several places seem to indicate today is taping day. Congratulations to the 15 competitors for making it there and may the tournament be a classic.

Just as important is the hope that the preventative methods to avoids spoilers leaking early work and work well. I will be happy to watch in November knowing nothing ahead of time other than QF match-ups which usually will be known ahead of Nov. 4th.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Tricky one. Was tempted to say "La Marsellaise" but thought that would be too easy. Took a closer look and just so happened to recognize the Routhier name.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

(sigh) that second place wager.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

hanzz wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:41 am (sigh) that second place wager.
The third place wager, too. Given the second place wager, she could have won by betting 0.

Upon closer inspection, Jason's bet probably wasn't optimal either. Wagering 100 less would have prevented Helen from overtaking him on a triple stumper and guaranteed no less than a tiebreaker if he got it right.

This was actually a more interesting scenario than it seemed at first glance.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:54 am guaranteed no less than a tiebreaker if he got it right.
You say that as if it's a good thing.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

The secondary hint 'St. Jean Baptiste' is a bit more obscure than these normally are. ST. Jean Baptiste (St. John the Baptist) is the patron saint of Quebec, and the feast day (June 25th) is the big celebration day of Quebec each year.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

boson wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:12 pm The secondary hint 'St. Jean Baptiste' is a bit more obscure than these normally are. ST. Jean Baptiste (St. John the Baptist) is the patron saint of Quebec, and the feast day (June 25th) is the big celebration day of Quebec each year.
June 24th is the feast day.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Leander

Post by Leander »

Had no idea the song went back that far, but lived in Quebec for a few years and immediately recognized St Jean Baptiste. Also what other country would have a “Sir” with so many other French references in the clue?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:10 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:54 am guaranteed no less than a tiebreaker if he got it right.
You say that as if it's a good thing.
If it prevents you from losing to the third-place player on a triple stumper, yes. In his shoes, I'd be more than happy to eliminate some ways I could lose on FJ, even if it meant I had to win one more toss-up.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

After a quick run-through of the archive, it appears Jason is the only 10+ winner who's won on multiple occasions thanks to the same classic second place miswager.

I've seen this wagering mistake so often that it's baffling to me. It should be the second most basic wagering strategy you learn after "bet to cover +$1 from the lead". Might I propose a J! Archive glossary term for this? The "Two-Thirds Tumble"? The "Zuffranieri Zave"?
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Sigh.

Jeopardy!? You have my number, just call me next time there’s a national anthems clue about O Canada? Please?

(Better yet just save it for when I’m on)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:34 am Of course I have no idea about their national anthem along with 190+ other countries.
Considering I currently have 438 national anthems on my site (of which I probably know just shy of 400 in one way or another), not knowing 190 is good! That leaves about 50% you do know! ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

🚨🚓

Betting police
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'm guessing Shakespeare would've gone better had they played the category top to bottom

I had a sinking feeling about the outcome when Colin held back money on the first DD in the second round

Now, would someone please tell me the optimal FJ wager for second place? I did the math and came up with 2,701 min / 9,499 max

ETA: I didn't recognize the scenario First = Second + 1/2 Third! I didn't even know that was a scenario worth remembering! Good grief :shock:

From J-Archive: Player C: Risk all $20,300 for the win or tie if you give the correct response (and provided Player A doesn't wager to cover by $1)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The game just sucked. Jason snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. When it eas so close going into FJ, i suspected jason would be vulnerable in no small part because of
Spoiler
His horrible guess of Goethe on yesterday's game
The male Challenger was out of his league and finding those Daily Doubles didn't help him as much as it could have. His betting was way too conservative. If he had been ahead of Jason at the end of DJ, he would have won the game, even with it being a triple stumper.

The female Challenger should have stood Pat. She had nothing to gain by betting anything. She needed both of her opponents to miss, which they did.

So Jason triumphed by his opponents not knowing how to bet.

Me, I got the correct answer right away. I not only recognized Routhier end knew st. Jean Baptiste day is a holiday in Quebec, I also knew that o'canada had been written in 1880 and was made the national anthem 100 years later in 1980.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.