Wednesday, September 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 1940s

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This nickname for a history-changing weapon of 1945 came from a character in “The Maltese Falcon”

Jason Zuffranieri: 33800+3800=37600 (14x = $399,543)
Barbara Walton: 8600+6999=15599
Jon Chang: 7800-7800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Fat Man (Jon – Little Boy)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 800-1000
Jason: 7600+7600
Jason: 2300+3000

Coryats
Jason: 27400
Barbara: 8600
Jon: 7800

Combined: 43,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 3200
Barbara: 2600
Jon: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rough J! round for Jason although it did not matter as DJ! is where the money is made and Jason played much better there including back on track with finding and converting DDs.

Jason knew he liked Metal Bands and bet accordingly on DD2.

After the reveal of the FJ! category Alex of course said, "You're all too young."

The FJ! clue had me figuring out what to do with 1945 weapon. "Maltese Falcon" was not going to help me since I've never read or seen it. In the mix I had the right two words and Jon's incorrect two words. As I said various pairings to myself everything sounded right and everything sounded wrong. With some uncertainty I wrote the correct response and perhaps it was the ghost of my getting (William) Conrad in 2005 that helped. I'll gladly take it however it happened.

Tough break for Jon going the wrong way since his wad wager would have overtaken Barbara for the 2nd place prize.

Jason trails just the big 4 in regular game victories and those four plus Matt & Austin for money. Another good victory like today's and Jason could leap David, Julia, Matt and Austin for $ won in regular games.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I don't know enough about the Maltese Falcon for the TOM to be useful for me, so it was a coin flip and mine landed on the wrong side. I'd argue that the first one was more "history-changing" than the second one (although I could see the other side of that argument) so that TOM was a bit tricky.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

For a moment, I conflated the two and came up with "fat boy," then realized my error. Wonder if the same process would've happened under the glare of the hot studio lights, or would I have left the blunder intact?
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

How long to the first "left money on the table" criticism?
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

I had no idea the bomb was named for the character. I got there as there is definitely not a weapon named Joel Cairo or Brigid O’Shaughnessey, but certainly not an Instaget.

When Jason’s run is done, I feel like he’ll be remembered as the Curtis Martin or Frank Gore of Jeopardy. You’ll think if him having a good run and then look him up and say “he ranks WHERE all-time? I never realized that.”
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Hugo Z wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:54 am How long to the first "left money on the table" criticism?
Looking at timestamps, one hit The Jeopardy! Fan about 11 minutes after this comment.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Now that the game has aired it's been fun to revisit some the MollyQMurphy posts on this page: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5234&p=313390#p313376

Sept. 18th - check
Two men - check

Tough draw getting a champ with so much game experience. Congrats on getting the 2nd place prize and not having to look back on Jon taking it 15600 to your 15559. It's only fair since you solved the FJ! clue and Jon missed it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:57 am I had no idea the bomb was named for the character.
Nor did I, and I think I've read just about every book there is about the Manhattan Project (I have a shelf of them). Great question, tough but gettable. I think it's interesting that the contestant who got the wrong response was so very close but no cigar. He probably did a mental coin flip.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Yes, I'm here. Couldn't talk about it before. I was in a haze/funk in the break before FJ, and made a simple math error calculating to block John for second. Got it backwards in my head looking for the optimal bet. So I'm lucky he missed it. Instead of 6999 it should have been 7001.

Nobody here could be more critical of me than I am of myself over this game, so swing away if you want to.
Pending...
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

theFJguy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:17 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 1940s

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This nickname for a history-changing weapon of 1945 came from a character in “The Maltese Falcon”
I consider this a misleading clue.
Spoiler
Plenty of people have heard of Fat Man and Little Boy, but "The Fat Man" was not the name of Sydney Greenstreet's character in the Maltese Falcon; he was Kasper Gutman, full stop. "The Fat Man" was a different character altogether, also Hammett's, who'd had a resounding success with The Thin Man. Although the original Thin Man did not refer to a detective but rather to a victim, the name migrated to refer to Nick Charles, the detective, whose character, as played by William Powell, appeared in a ton of sequels. "The Fat Man" was a radio series and later, a movie (possibly having originated as a novel or short story) which Hammett created (I don't know if he wrote the scripts for any of the shows).

Why would I know this? My father, the composer Bernard Green, wrote the music for the radio show which was used on radio and in the movie; it had a theme song everyone recognized about 70 years ago.

I realize that someone, in recounting the story long after, said that it was the character from The Maltese Falcon. But I seriously doubt that the origin of the nickname referred to Gutman.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Wow. That's great context and information, Leah. Thanks!
Pending...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

FWIW John Huston's screenplay refers to "the fat man" 27 times. The original novel, 80 times.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:03 pm FWIW John Huston's screenplay refers to "the fat man" 27 times. The original novel, 80 times.
You're right - I finally found the initial radio broadcast date, which was in January 1946, thus after the nickname. I've seen Maltese Falcon zillions of times, and remembered Gutman's name, along with Miles Archer, Joel Cairo, Wilmer, Brigid O'Shaughnessy, Effie Perrine-- but certainly not "the fat man" being said so many times.

So, thanks! I suppose it's a clue which worked against me for remembering the actual names. "A character" led me to think of a specific role rather than an epithet.

Here's a link to a radio episode of The Fat Man-- the theme starts about a minute in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAlZ2nLk_ko
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I'm impressed with how Jason has been performing since the new season kicked off, especially with how he's been trying to emulate James (not only he goes for the clues at the bottom first, I noticed him doing a little Forrest-bouncing in more recent shows). And now Jeopardy! is becoming more fun to watch compared to the remainder of last season after Emma defeated James.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Feel fortunate to have gotten this FJ right. Never seen the film in question, it took me a few seconds to connect on atomic bomb, and needed the coin flip to fall the right way. A get's a get. *shrug*

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:57 am When Jason’s run is done, I feel like he’ll be remembered as the Curtis Martin or Frank Gore of Jeopardy. You’ll think if him having a good run and then look him up and say “he ranks WHERE all-time? I never realized that.”
This. Exactly this.
MollyQMurphy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:10 pm Nobody here could be more critical of me than I am of myself over this game, so swing away if you want to.
As far as I'm concerned, you just ran into someone who will go down as an all-time great, and there's no shame in that. When a champ like this gets going, there's just not a lot you can do as a challenger. You and Jon both played quite well, I thought.

I'd love to know what was going through your mind entering the studio at the start of tape day and prior to today's game, if you feel like sharing. Rodrigo from Monday's game posted on Reddit that he recognized Jason at the start of the tape day, and I assume you did as well. Did that scare you at all, figuring out he was an 11-day champ at that point? How did you feel after he narrowly escaped yesterday's show?

Also, yay Dee Snider (and Vince Neil, to a lesser extent). ;) :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

that metal category was a joke...all easy and not even sure if def leppard, twisted sister and motley crue are even considered metal anymore

said big boy for fat man...knew there was a little boy, had never heard the name of the other one before, so big boy it was
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Chapter 11 of The Maltese Falcon is titled "The Fat Man". The title refers to Casper Gutman who is introduced in the chapter. The chapter and the rest of the book repeatedly refer to him as "the fat man". I don't know about the A-bomb being named after him. I also don't know of any other Hammett characters referred to as the fat man. If Gutman isn't the only one, he is still without competition the most well known.

Oh, and for everyone saying they've never read the book or seen the film, two treats await you. They represent the pinnacles of their respective subgenres--hard-boiled detective fiction and film noir. Seek them out.