LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:49 am Did trout have the highest get rate? Surely the highest in a long time. I read that one, and went, "Seriously, Thorsten?"
LL 76 had the fracking question, which had a 98% get rate.
But 97% for trout is probably in second place since I started. The only reason my rundle didn’t have 100% is because of the guy who is getting zeroed out for the season, so our get rate was lower than the league average. :?
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

Interested in what people's thought process on the San Antonio one was. Asked for a city with an "eventful history concerning military compounds" I came up with San Antonio, Charleston (Fort Sumter) and Honolulu (Pearl Harbor) and didn't really know how to narrow it down from there. I went with Charleston in the end based on the idea that its history was more "long and eventful" than the other two, in that there were Revolutionary War battles there. I feel like there must be some sort of tip-off I missed. Are the Air Force bases themselves something people recognize the names of?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

ilcap wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:26 am Interested in what people's thought process on the San Antonio one was. Asked for a city with an "eventful history concerning military compounds" I came up with San Antonio, Charleston (Fort Sumter) and Honolulu (Pearl Harbor) and didn't really know how to narrow it down from there. I went with Charleston in the end based on the idea that its history was more "long and eventful" than the other two, in that there were Revolutionary War battles there. I feel like there must be some sort of tip-off I missed. Are the Air Force bases themselves something people recognize the names of?
San Antonio was one of my more luckier guesses ever in all of my LL games as I knew nothing and only sniffed out a hint of "compound" perhaps being cutesy for the Alamo.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:39 am
ilcap wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:26 am Interested in what people's thought process on the San Antonio one was. Asked for a city with an "eventful history concerning military compounds" I came up with San Antonio, Charleston (Fort Sumter) and Honolulu (Pearl Harbor) and didn't really know how to narrow it down from there. I went with Charleston in the end based on the idea that its history was more "long and eventful" than the other two, in that there were Revolutionary War battles there. I feel like there must be some sort of tip-off I missed. Are the Air Force bases themselves something people recognize the names of?
San Antonio was one of my more luckier guesses ever in all of my LL games as I knew nothing and only sniffed out a hint of "compound" perhaps being cutesy for the Alamo.
"Compound" immediately led me to Waco (MCWA). But "military", upon thought, no. Once I had anchored on Texas, though, San Antonio seemed a mighty fine guess, especially since Texas is home to a lot of military bases.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:39 am
I started with Baltimore off Fort McHenry but didn't like it much, nor could I imagine three Air Force bases in tiny Maryland. Remembered the Alamo just before submitting, liked it better plus all that space in Texas, and was thrilled to see the answer.
In and out of the pool four times
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:53 am
alietr wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:49 am Did trout have the highest get rate? Surely the highest in a long time. I read that one, and went, "Seriously, Thorsten?"
This is only my 8th season but its the highest I can remember...I wonder what the get rate would've been if he left off rainbow.
Yeah, were I writing that I'd have left off rainbow, cutthroat and maybe brook.
In and out of the pool four times
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Harpers Ferry was my answer for the military compound so since my opponent was from Frederick, Maryland my only question was whether to zero or one it. Unless of course I was wrong, but I didn't expect to be.

I overdefended the trout question. I thought "Sappho" was the gimme of the day. Probably too much time in the bohemian underground.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cmp146 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:06 am However, the 30 foot advertisement for the Las Vegas Aces that I saw in Las Vegas while at Trivia Nationals was helpful. :-) Still good enough for a win.
My guess too on that one. One random day there was an Aces home game on at the Brewery and I instantly fell in love with the logo:

It's got that whole Brewers glove thing going on. Not as subtle, but that's okay because Vegas.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:33 pm
cmp146 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:06 am However, the 30 foot advertisement for the Las Vegas Aces that I saw in Las Vegas while at Trivia Nationals was helpful. :-) Still good enough for a win.
My guess too on that one. One random day there was an Aces home game on at the Brewery and I instantly fell in love with the logo:

It's got that whole Brewers glove thing going on. Not as subtle, but that's okay because Vegas.
Oh, that is good.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Humiliating miss on the "clef" clue. The clue just wasn't reading right to my eyes. I knew I was going to know what the answer was, but the individual elements just somehow weren't making sense. Symbol that indicates pitch? That's gotta be a note. Those are in lines and staffs. But it just isn't quite jibing with the clue. But it has to be "note". But it still doesn't seem quite right.

Once again keywords fail to click. American virologist = Jonas Salk, but I just couldn't filter out the blah blah blah blah of the clue. Can they stop making these clues six billion words long?

Led Zeppelin = Swan Song Records was an easy get because one of my favorite bands, the Kentucky Headhunters, almost had a deal with Swan Song in their early days but it fell through because of John Bonham's death.
Volante

Post by Volante »

One stat I would like to see is a correct answers win/loss/tie, or at least something to see how much by defense has helped (or...more often hurt) my standing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:11 am One stat I would like to see is a correct answers win/loss/tie, or at least something to see how much by defense has helped (or...more often hurt) my standing.
That’s pretty much what the luckiest/unluckiest LLama posts at seasons end are about.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:11 am One stat I would like to see is a correct answers win/loss/tie, or at least something to see how much by defense has helped (or...more often hurt) my standing.
That’s pretty much what the luckiest/unluckiest LLama posts at seasons end are about.
Sort of, yeah, but...that's also at the end of the season.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:48 am Humiliating miss on the "clef" clue. The clue just wasn't reading right to my eyes. I knew I was going to know what the answer was, but the individual elements just somehow weren't making sense. Symbol that indicates pitch? That's gotta be a note. Those are in lines and staffs. But it just isn't quite jibing with the clue. But it has to be "note". But it still doesn't seem quite right.
I almost tanked this one too. I was trying to think of those stupid Italian words like "allegro", etc. (for tempo) and wondered have I been overlooking something that indicated mode? Does it say Ionian somewhere? Luckily I finally thought of the treble clef and since there are two clefs, I also remember that you have to draw them a certain way with the colon or the end of the ampersand in a certain position.

At least you got the Zep. I said BeeGees as a group that might fit the time span.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:48 am Humiliating miss on the "clef" clue. The clue just wasn't reading right to my eyes. I knew I was going to know what the answer was, but the individual elements just somehow weren't making sense. Symbol that indicates pitch? That's gotta be a note. Those are in lines and staffs. But it just isn't quite jibing with the clue. But it has to be "note". But it still doesn't seem quite right.
I had to read and re-read it, and I'm a music teacher. So don't feel too bad. That was some tricky wording.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I really wish I would stop giving up 3-pointers ...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How many more blatant hints are going to go right over my head? "Blah blah blah Tuskegee" should've been blatantly obviously pointing to Carver, but it just didn't trigger anything at all.

I also seem to be utterly uanble to fire off even a guess on any of these.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

There are two Americana questions, my opponent lives in Romania, and they have a .352 lifetime batting average in American History, so this should be an easy win, right? Nope, they got Washington and the Mt Rushmore question, and I lost 8(5)-5(3).

I didn't know the order of the Presidents on the mountain but I ended up just mixing up the first two.

I am now dead last in my rundle, and the person who is in 1st place has 2 fewer TCAs than I have! They will probably end up as one of the luckier LLamas for this season.
Volante

Post by Volante »

I, like 13% of the rest of the field, was on the right track with 'line judge'.... Luckily defense won the day for me(?!)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:32 am How many more blatant hints are going to go right over my head? "Blah blah blah Tuskegee" should've been blatantly obviously pointing to Carver, but it just didn't trigger anything at all.
It was pointing to Carver, but Booker T. Washington was the correct answer.
StevenH wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:14 am I didn't know the order of the Presidents on the mountain but I ended up just mixing up the first two.
Since all U.S. radio stations start with a K or W, I knew Washington was on the left. I screwed up from there. They could have at least put them in chronological order!

And I somehow confused Jonny Quest and Speed Racer.