Wednesday, September 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Board
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Board
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NATURAL GEOGRAPHIC FEATURES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Timely for 2018, in 1866 Mark Twain wrote of this landmark’s “sputtering jets of fire” & “heat from Pele’s furnaces”

Jason Zuffranieri: 30400-0=30400 (19x = $532,496)
Ted Berg: 13200-10401=2799
Gairen Wallace: 11800-11799=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Kilauea (Jason – Old Faithful) (Ted – Mt. Vesuvius) (Gairen – Old Faithful)

Daily Doubles
Ted: 4800+3000
Jason: 12200+5000
Jason: 19200+4000

Coryats
Jason: 25000
Ted: 10600
Gairen: 11800

Combined: 47,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 7800
Ted: 8000
Gairen: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ted found DD1 in a second box in combination with the category hint of "MAN" UP. That is the place to not leave 1800 on the table although it did not matter with Jason finding and converting both DD2 and DD3.

Nice to have two games in a row with 61 clues and we can only hope it continues.

The FJ! clue turning into current events was not good for me. I matched Jason & Gairen for their incorrect response although I did attempt a detour to the right area. "Fire" and "furnaces" had me sensing volcano and "Pele's" had me think of Hawaii. My problem was Diamond Head, Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea rang no bells for recent events and I had no recollection of Twain visiting there. It was only seconds of think time and I moved on.

Mt. St. Helens and Etna occurred to me for famous volcanoes while as before I had no idea if Twain had been there. I stuck with the level one response only because I had nothing better.

Here is one relevant hit from the Archive:
Spoiler

#5142, aired 2007-01-09 HAWAII $800: Mark Twain wrote that compared to this volcano on the Big Island, Mount Vesuvius was "a soup-kettle"
Here are a couple of other hits related to Hawaii:
Spoiler

#3691, aired 2000-09-25 TWAIN TRACTS $400: The Sacramento Union published Twain's running account of his visit to these islands

[FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE]
#3114, aired 1998-02-26 AMERICAN AUTHORS: He launched his lecturing career in 1866 with a talk later titled "Our Fellow Savages of the Sandwich Islands"
There goes my perfect Wednesdays after three weeks, leaving Thursday & Friday unscathed so far.

Jason is right at two esteemed levels of victories having tied David Madden and one shy of Julia Collins. For money, Roger Craig has done regular play, ToC, BotD, and All-Stars to have about $22K+ more than Jason.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Man, I had nothing for FJ. Clearly I missed something in 2018. 1/3 to start the week... :(
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Pele was my only real in here, as it got me to “Hawaiian volcano.” The year got me to Kilauea with its eruption. All bets were off on correct spelling, though.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Did anyone else mistake the Final category (pre-clue-reveal) for NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FEATURES?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

STADIUM STUFF $600: This stade, or stadium, hosts tennis' French Open from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6424

There is a correction suggestion to make the correct response two words without the hyphen while I had it hyphenated. Accept the suggestion? Oui or non?
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:17 pm STADIUM STUFF $600: This stade, or stadium, hosts tennis' French Open from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6424

There is a correction suggestion to make the correct response two words without the hyphen while I had it hyphenated. Accept the suggestion? Oui or non?
The stadium is "Roland-Garros". Roland Garros is the guy the stadium is named for (French aviator, fought in WWI).

ETA : OTOH, I can't find a consensus : everybody has an opinion, and nobody can agree (France has one usage, but the French post office has another).
So, to resume? Whatever floats your boat :-/
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:07 pm Did anyone else mistake the Final category (pre-clue-reveal) for NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FEATURES?

Felt that MARK TWAIN would have been a better category choice.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

France/French has this weird thing where they hyphenate proper nouns when they turn them into other proper nouns. Like when they name a street after a guy ("Avenue Victor-Hugo"). Or after a place ("Champs-Élysées", for Elysium Fields).

Except, it's not that weird. It's actually similar to the rule we have in English, just followed more strictly. Because "Roland-Garros", the stadium, is not just "Roland-Garros", and "Roland-Garros" in the name of the stadium is not a proper noun. The name of the stadium is "Stade Roland-Garros" and "Roland-Garros" in "Stade Roland-Garros" is an adjective.

In English, we hyphenate proper-noun adjectives when we use them as adjectives. For example, Barack Obama is an African American, but he is the first African-American president. (Yes, the Chicago and AP style manuals have advocated dropping the hyphen entirely. Jeopardy!, for one, isn't on board.)

I'm hard-pressed to think of an example when we English speakers (that is, people in English-speaking countries, SWIDT?) turn a proper noun like somebody's name into a hyphenation, but France does, so there it is. Roland-Garros.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:17 pm STADIUM STUFF $600: This stade, or stadium, hosts tennis' French Open from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6424

No, but my problem was 'NATIONAL' - I convinced myself that Hawaii was not yet part of USA in 1866!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:07 pm Did anyone else mistake the Final category (pre-clue-reveal) for NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FEATURES?
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:32 pm No, but my problem was 'NATIONAL' - I convinced myself that Hawaii was not yet part of USA in 1866!
So I guess yes
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Took me a couple clues to get the hang of the Sandwich category. Reuben wasn't happening even though that's by far my favorite of the five sandwiches named.

Ran "Man" up but bombed Stadium. Also stumped by Books About China and World Capital Birthplaces.

Thought for sure I'd whiff on French & Indian War, but I got $400 and $600. $1,000 came to me a hair too late, but no hope on $200.

What was the TOM for Europe on Conventions for $400?

Tossed 'Pele" and "jets of fire" around in my head for a good five minutes and nothing surfaced. As soon as he said "Kilauea" I knew it was there. WHY CAN'T I PULL THE DAMN ANSWER EVER?!?!?
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

That was probably the closest challenge Jason's gotten in recent days. Great, exciting game...at least until Jason found DD2 and DD3.

Knew FJ had something to do with Hawaiian volcanoes but I couldn't remember which one erupted last year...Mauna Kea stuck in my head and wouldn't leave.
アタックチャンス!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maybe what Ted said about playing prisoners is true now, but it hasn't always been the case. My radio station softball team played a team of prisoners at Rhode Island's state prison (the "Adult Correctional Institutions"). It was a home game for them. I played second base, and most of the balls hit toward me I could only watch as they flew by me. And I did not chase a ball into foul territory. I struck up a conversation with one of the inmates, and he was there because he broke into one of our clients. It was quite an experience.

Got the TS. Jason continues to make the other contestants Zuffer.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

43 R
2 W
Coryat 37600
DD :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
FJ :oops:

Other than FJ, it was nice to have a decent game for a change. I've been finding the high dollar clues a smidge tougher so far this season than last, but maybe that's just me/small sample size.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got to hawaii from pele, but i went with mauna loa
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The clue got me to a volcano and with Hawaii being prominent in my thinking, I had a vague recollection of last year's Kilauea eruption. I immediately ruled out a geyser but suspected one of the contestants would say Old Faithful.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 pm Took me a couple clues to get the hang of the Sandwich category. Reuben wasn't happening even though that's by far my favorite of the five sandwiches named.

Ran "Man" up but bombed Stadium. Also stumped by Books About China and World Capital Birthplaces.

Thought for sure I'd whiff on French & Indian War, but I got $400 and $600. $1,000 came to me a hair too late, but no hope on $200.

What was the TOM for Europe on Conventions for $400?

Tossed 'Pele" and "jets of fire" around in my head for a good five minutes and nothing surfaced. As soon as he said "Kilauea" I knew it was there. WHY CAN'T I PULL THE DAMN ANSWER EVER?!?!?
sounds like a euro word...plus if you traveled in europe you would have known