Wednesday, September 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 pm got to hawaii from pele, but i went with mauna loa
Ditto. Pretty sure it wasn't that one, but couldn't pull the correct name.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

econgator wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:58 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 pm got to hawaii from pele, but i went with mauna loa
I got as far as Hawaii and knowing it was K... but couldn't get my head away from Krakatoa despite knowing it was wrong.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Jason has been an absolute pleasure to watch.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Fools! I warned you! I warned all of you!!
( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4492&p=280983#p280786 )

Starting to get back into the groove... 47R+FJ but better yet it felt good, like I could finally get the brain into high gear rather than grind away in second.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Very exciting game to watch all around. Of course, I'm glad Jason continues his streak and is now tied with Madden for number of wins (yet over $100K ahead of him in cash winnings), but Ted and Gairen were also both very strong competitors and I have no doubt that either of them probably could have been at least two or three game winners under differing circumstances. It was a very competitive game until the end when Jason really hammered it home in DJ, and those games are always so thrilling to see.

Never would've gotten Final in a million years. Not surprised it was a triple stumper.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I guess the key word in FJ was "Pele's" although it didn't sink in for me at the time. I went with Etna which is a pretty strong candidate considering Twain wrote about his travels in Italy in "The Innocents Abroad" and it did erupt in 2018.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew it had to be Hawaii (Pele helped me dismiss Old Faithful) but couldn't remember what volcano had been in the news. I said Mauna Kea, which is dormant.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:32 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:58 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 pmgot to hawaii from pele, but i went with mauna loa
I got as far as Hawaii and knowing it was K... but couldn't get my head away from Krakatoa despite knowing it was wrong.
Hell, I honeymooned on the Big Island back in fall of '89, six years into the still ongoing Kilauea eruption, but I couldn't pull anything past the K in 30 seconds. Maybe I'm blocking because we aren't married anymore and Monday would have been our 30th... whoops, sorry, oversharing. The visitors center at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is full of stories about people sending back rocks etc. that they swiped from Pele because of all the bad luck that followed them. At least I didn't make that mistake.
In and out of the pool four times
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 48,000
55 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Reuben, trumpet, Federalist Party

How one can not go all in on a) a second row DD b) in the J! round c) in a category that spots you letters d) against a champ who has won a half-million dollars, is beyond me. As they say in the erudite halls of academia, scared money don't make no money.

When I saw Mark Twain, I expected Halley's Comet--though I guess that wouldn't qualify as a "geographic feature"--but "timely for 2018" and Pele brought to mind the crazy news images from ol' Killer Whale.

I was embarrassed to not be able to pull Gatwick and to not have enough confidence to ring in on Hermes. Both of those are going in the index card box.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 pm What was the TOM for Europe on Conventions for $400?
"Free movement across a continent, starting in the '90s" describes a significant component of European Union membership. Also, "sch" is a common component of German, so it was likely to be the name of a European city as opposed to one on another continent.
Sprinkles are for winners.
earendel

Post by earendel »

First right answer of the week. Surprised that none of the contestants got it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

My entry point to this FJ! was the 2018 current-ish events angle, not Mark Twain. I didn't event know Mark Twain had visited Hawaii.

Not sure if I could've spelled Kilauea correctly in the 30 seconds; I may have resorted to phonetic spelling...
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

kerryoakie wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:00 am My entry point to this FJ! was the 2018 current-ish events angle, not Mark Twain. I didn't event know Mark Twain had visited Hawaii.

Not sure if I could've spelled Kilauea correctly in the 30 seconds; I may have resorted to phonetic spelling...
"Kill away, uhhh..." would have been acceptable.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 am
kerryoakie wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:00 am Not sure if I could've spelled Kilauea correctly in the 30 seconds; I may have resorted to phonetic spelling...
"Kill away, uhhh..." would have been acceptable.
Started with Old Faithful then realized the importance of the Pele angle. Came up with the right response but as mentioned a few times in this thread, didn't have a firm grasp of the spelling.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Pele took me almost instantly to Hawaii. I spent the other 29.5 seconds unsuccessfully trying to remember the name of the volcano. I was very surprised that none of the players were in the right area. Not at all surprised by at least one going to Yellowstone.
--Peter
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:59 am How one can not go all in on a) a second row DD b) in the J! round c) in a category that spots you letters d) against a champ who has won a half-million dollars, is beyond me.
Yeah, that was quite baffling.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Somewhere, I have a picture of myself hiking across Kilauea with my then-infant daughter on my back. I wasn't missing this one.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'll chalk not going all-in on the J! DD to stage nerves, even if Ted is on camera for his day job - J! is a different animal, and strategy can go out the window if you're not focused every single second. The mistake only cost him a maximum of $7200 if you compound the $1800 through two DJ! DDs - and that's only if he found both DJ! DDs (unlikely), AND he was forced (or chose) to go all-in for both.

To be perfectly honest, I whiffed that really easy DD question myself at home, but I don't think I even had the time to process the date "July 20, 1969" before Ted's response, and I'm 99% sure I would have been able to pounce on it if I'd had the true amount of time they give you on a DD. Even someone who's generally sketchy with dates (like me) knows that particular date...even before the 50-year anniversary.

For the Asclepius/Caduceus question, I said "Who is Mercury?" instead of "Hermes" - what's your ruling? There's no "Greek" or "Roman" in the clue to differentiate between the two, and a quick Wiki search shows that the rod is associated with both. I'm inclined to count it in my favor, and I definitely would have hit the right answer if prodded. If it would have counted, then I think it's nice clue construction - if they'd changed the last words to "this Roman messenger" or "this Greek messenger", it would have been a groaner with the key word coming at the end of the clue.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:17 pm
No, but my problem was 'NATIONAL' - I convinced myself that Hawaii was not yet part of USA in 1866!
Did you just get confused on this one? The word "national" does not appear in the clue or the category name (which was NATURAL Geographic Features). Getting sidetracked on whether Hawaii was/was not part of the US would have been going down a blind alley.

My 30-second tour on this one was the wildest ride I have taken since my last trip to Disney World:

1. Sure sounded like Yellowstone/Old Faithful, which would have been well known to Twain, but...

2. no, the "fire" part sounds more like a volcano than a geyser, so ditch Old Faithful and try to figure...

3. Where would he have gone to see a volcano? Which is more likely? Hawaii or Europe or elsewhere? For a moment I settled on Europe and almost wrote down Mt. Etna until I re-read the part about "Pele," which led me back across the globe to Hawaii, where I...

4. Wrote down Mauna Loa, pretty sure that it's the biggest volcano on earth, but...

5. Then I remember (correctly or not) that Kilauea is the world's most active volcano, so I wrote it down as well. Then....

6. After an agonizing few moments, I Marktiple-Choiced in the final 1-2 seconds and scratched out Mauna Loa. Turns out Kilauea was good (and a TS to boot!) which made my evening.

I was also a bit surprised that this was a TS. Not so surprised by Gairen's unfortunate and non-strategic FJ wager, which cost him a cool thousand bucks.

Idle thought: The first DD, asking for the last word of a famous quote from 7-20-69, when spotting you "man???" Talk about free money!!

I keep thinking Jason is good but not like KJ good and certainly not as "on-another-planet" good as James. And yet he keeps on his smooth-sailing ways, averaging over $28K per win. You go, guy!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:26 pm For the Asclepius/Caduceus question, I said "Who is Mercury?" instead of "Hermes" - what's your ruling? There's no "Greek" or "Roman" in the clue to differentiate between the two, and a quick Wiki search shows that the rod is associated with both. I'm inclined to count it in my favor, and I definitely would have hit the right answer if prodded. If it would have counted, then I think it's nice clue construction - if they'd changed the last words to "this Roman messenger" or "this Greek messenger", it would have been a groaner with the key word coming at the end of the clue.
It's associated with both, it's not pinned to one or the other, both count.
*nudges dog back out of the room*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:26 pm The mistake only cost him a maximum of $7200 if you compound the $1800 through two DJ! DDs - and that's only if he found both DJ! DDs (unlikely), AND he was forced (or chose) to go all-in for both.
"Only...$7200" in a game of J! is a huge deal. More to the point, he missed out on $1800 in a game where he ended up only $1900 short of breaking Jason's lock. Obviously, we don't know how the rest of the game would have gone, but that's potentially very significant.
Sprinkles are for winners.