Thursday, September 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, September 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

kablamfan11 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:02 pm Well, Jason comes back this November to play for $250k.
It's a good bet Jason's streak was a controlling reason for the early cutoff this year. Why have two mega-champs square off against each other when you can save one for next time?
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I actually got to meet Gabe in Las Vegas last month for Trivia Nationals. Gabe is not only impressive, but he is also once of the nicest guys I have met and we even had lunch together on the last day of the event. Congratulations to him on winning his first game and I look forward to seeing him win again tomorrow! :)
SAM_0054.JPG
SAM_0054.JPG (338.7 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Just a person who loves game shows.
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by The Talking Mime »

I have a book of New York Times articles from the 1970s and I remember that there was an article about the Sydney Opera House finally opening after years of delays and overruns. Vaguely remembering that fact helped me get this clue pretty quickly, especially since I missed the "librettist" hint.

Congrats to Jason for an excellent run. With his run and Sam Kavanaugh and Ryan Bilger's run from last season, the next ToC looks to have a strong field forming already (assuming Bilger can get in).
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Congrats Jason for a great run, and I hope to see more mega-champions later this season.

And hey, at least Jasons' loss didn't get leaked on the Internet or on social media, unlike James and Ken.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 pm
kablamfan11 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:02 pm Well, Jason comes back this November to play for $250k.
It's a good bet Jason's streak was a controlling reason for the early cutoff this year. Why have two mega-champs square off against each other when you can save one for next time?
Well, that's because both James & Jason had some runaway games & true daily doubles during their run. They also had big wagers in Final J!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Has Johnny ever done an "also" before when more than one contestant was from the same town?

I ran Circle of Life and Newer to the Language, and got all but $1,000 in Forests.

"Blah blah musk herbivore" = not ox = HOLY NEGBAIT. I also whiffed on the DD with ungulates over ruminants, and couldn't dredge up "cithin" in time. Rare for me to do that badly in an animal category.

I thought "Beowulf" was an obscure pick for $400 in Characters. Those character names are utterly unfamiliar.

I didn't see a single TOM anywhere in this clue. None of the words were doing anything for me. So of course it all clicks after the reveal.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Congrats Jason! Had to figure at some point FJ would be his undoing, but he played well right up until the end. The higher activity in the thread before 7pm likely spoiled the result for me, but I was still surprised to see Jason lose from a crush position.

Congrats to Gabe as well; way to make the big clues pay off! Fortunate enough to match him on FJ.. there have been lots of tough but fair FJ clues so far this season, IMO.
Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 pm
The video announcing the field was released (I believe) a week before S36 began taping, so Jason was just a 6x champ at that time; I would imagine that another mega-run was not a huge factor.

Jason and James would be a great show, but I still think you make a solid point. It's a new season and a new qualifying cycle... why not give Jason the chance to be the top dog in his own tournament.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:22 pm
I thought "Beowulf" was an obscure pick for $400 in Characters. Those character names are utterly unfamiliar.

I didn't see a single TOM anywhere in this clue. None of the words were doing anything for me. So of course it all clicks after the reveal.
Any name that starts with the letters "Hr" is Old English. Anything Old English in the top row is Beowulf.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:12 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:12 pm ...

Weekly poll request: "I have seen an opera at the Sydney Opera House."
Request seen . . .
Request to modify the poll entry to "I have been inside the Sydney Opera House," so that I'll be able to check the box. :D

The opera TOM, and realizing that the SOH opened in that general time period, led to tonight's FJ being an instaget at chez H-Bomb. The erstwhile Sears Tower would have been an odd choice as the subject for an opera because it was less than 100 feet taller than either of the towers of the World Trade Center, which also opened in 1973; as a result, although it was the world's tallest building for about a quarter-century, I don't think it's ever really been iconic, and there would have been no reason to call it the 8th wonder, even in an opera title. (In a survey released in 2007, the SOH was voted one of the "new seven wonders of the world"). Plus, if you know the backstory of all the politics and other issues involved in the construction of the SOH, it seems to make for a reasonably good story for an opera.

Congrats to Jason on a magnificent run, and congrats to Gabe on toppling a giant.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

hanzz wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:49 pm Like Christine, I, too, said the other major world building that opened in 1973.
World Landmarks means (in Jeopardy speak) outside the U.S., so that answer doesn't fit the category.

It was frustrating watching both challengers not truly understanding how to win this game. Christine's had a chance to put some serious pressure on the champ on her DD and did nothing with it. Then Gabe came within one clue of being locked out due to holding back meaningless dollars on his DD wager.

With Jason gone, we now have no holdovers from S35. So it will be interesting to see just how fast we get back to attacking categories from the top down. Not to mention DD wagering. Many people have been saying James changed how the game is played, but I've not believed it. The game has always returned to lemming play after the occasional bouncer. Guess we're about to find out.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:22 pm Has Johnny ever done an "also" before when more than one contestant was from the same town?

I ran Circle of Life and Newer to the Language, and got all but $1,000 in Forests.

"Blah blah musk herbivore" = not ox = HOLY NEGBAIT. I also whiffed on the DD with ungulates over ruminants, and couldn't dredge up "cithin" in time. Rare for me to do that badly in an animal category.

as someone pointed out composer in the the clue was a tom...and why must you always need a fricking TOM? you always complain about not having toms or toms you can't spot, but not all trivia is about toms
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Golf wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:45 pm
hanzz wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:49 pm Like Christine, I, too, said the other major world building that opened in 1973.
World Landmarks means (in Jeopardy speak) outside the U.S., so that answer doesn't fit the category.

It was frustrating watching both challengers not truly understanding how to win this game. Christine's had a chance to put some serious pressure on the champ on her DD and did nothing with it. Then Gabe came within one clue of being locked out due to holding back meaningless dollars on his DD wager.

With Jason gone, we now have no holdovers from S35. So it will be interesting to see just how fast we get back to attacking categories from the top down. Not to mention DD wagering. Many people have been saying James changed how the game is played, but I've not believed it. The game has always returned to lemming play after the occasional bouncer. Guess we're about to find out.

i hope we are back to one and doners
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

knew this dude was going to lose today when i came to the site in the afternoon and this thread was already on the 2nd page...the length of a thread can be considered a spoiler in itself

odd thing is, more posts pre east coast airing than after the masses have seen the episode...figured many people would have chimed in on the "mega" champion finally being bounced
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:22 pm "Blah blah musk herbivore" = not ox = HOLY NEGBAIT. I also whiffed on the DD with ungulates over ruminants, and couldn't dredge up "cithin" in time. Rare for me to do that badly in an animal category.
I admit I let "musk ____" sweep me up into guessing ox also, but "ox" is not a species (or any other taxonomic division).

Also, it's "chitin."

I didn't realize composer + librettist = opera until after I'd figured out FJ.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:22 pm "Blah blah musk herbivore" = not ox = HOLY NEGBAIT. I also whiffed on the DD with ungulates over ruminants, and couldn't dredge up "cithin" in time. Rare for me to do that badly in an animal category.
I admit I let "musk ____" sweep me up into guessing ox also, but "ox" is not a species (or any other taxonomic division).

Also, it's "chitin."

I didn't realize composer + librettist = opera until after I'd figured out FJ.
Musk Deer. Because you can never be short of nightmare fuel.

I'd like to thank WoW for chitin

Also surprised how hard Sydney Opera House seems to be playing. I'd've thought librettist alone made it a gimme. And second for changing the poll to "Been inside..."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

It's possible that contestants making their first appearances on the show this season watched the James Holzhauer episodes before they went in themselves for taping. So I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them trying to emulate James's strategies.

As far as I recall, Jason I think played the board from the top down during his first six shows but tried playing like James when S36 kicked off.
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:19 pm I played FJ off of Andy's webpage. Had Sears Tower/Willis Tower from "8th wonder" then glanced at the category, got to "1973" at the end of the clue, and hit Sydney Opera House with absolute certainty.
Glad you got there, but it should be noted that the Sears Tower also opened in 1973, so not sure how the year locked it for you.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 39,800
51 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: ruminants (DD), chitin

Congrats to Jason on an amazing run. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

The opera itself being a clue never kicked in for me. I went with the Sears Tower, not remembering that the category was World Landmarks, which to J! means "non-U.S." Whiff.

It actually redounded to Christine's benefit given that she missed the clue, but wagering $2000 on a DD a third of the way through DJ! while down $13000 to $6400 to $5800 against the fourth-longest-reigning champion in the history of the show is the J! equivalent of waving the white flag. I know it's easier to make these decisions from the couch, but contestants have to go into the game with some killer instinct. Fortune truly does favor the bold.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Sears Tower didn't even cross my mind, though I had no idea when it was constructed and thus didn't have that association available. I've been there and it's honestly not particularly special as far as skyscrapers go. (Chicago tourists would be better off visiting the Hancock Building IMO.)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Gabe had a tendancy to make unforced errors. It was only his fortune of finding two DDs and Jason not finding any that saved him from being locked out. I don't think he'll win more than another game.
It was also surprising to see Christine finish that close to contention. Ironic that if she had only wagered $5 on her DD, she would have had a chance to win with a singleton.
TravlRaider wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: I did not hear it though the CC has an "Oh, damn." for Christine after guessing the wrong Public Enemy guy.
Haven't seen the episode yet, but I remember hearing that in taping and wondered if they would cut it out
I heard it.