2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne »

NBC's new streaming service will be named Peacock.

There will be yet another reboot of Battlestar Galactica, along with reboots of Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Slowly, painfully making my way through a backlog of 700+ RSS feed articles...

Purdue Pharma, previously owned by the Sackler family and maker of OxyContin, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
https://gizmodo.com/drug-company-that-m ... 1838139579
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

And ... Antonio Brown has been released by the Patriots.

I suspect that last Sunday is the last football AB will ever play.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

TOYS

* backwards spoiler below*

After receiving a letter from a 6-year-old girl in July 2019, the head of BMC Toys proceeded with plans to update these, which first appeared in 1938

[***nemymraneerg***]
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

2019 Emmy Awards major winners:

Drama: Game of Thrones won for Best Drama Series, and Peter Dinklage won Best Supporting Actor, but was shut out in its other nominations (four GoT actresses were nominated in the supporting actress category along with Fiona Shaw from Killing Eve but the award went to Julia Garner from Ozark). The fabulous Billy Porter won Best Lead Actor for his work on Pose, the FX series about the drag scene in New York in the late 80s and early 90s. Jodie Comer won Best Lead Actress for playing the assassin Villanelle on Killing Eve (a show created by Phoebe Waller-Bridge - more on her in a moment).

Comedy: it was Fleabag's year, picking up Best Comedy Series, Best Lead Actress for Phoebe Waller-Bridge (who also won an Emmy for writing), and Best Directing. Bill Hader won for Barry, and Alex Borstein and Tony Shalhoub won in the supporting categories for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Name to know: Greta Thunberg, 16 year old climate change activist from Sweden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Probably more of an LL question given the Eurocentric nature

Thomas Cook, (formerly) the world's oldest tour operator, went under last Sunday, stranding people just everywhere as operations came to an abrupt halt

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/22/busi ... index.html
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

horror icon Sid Haig died at the age of 80
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A mere footnote to most people, but hits home with me ... Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter has passed away at 78. I was fortunate enough to interview him on the radio in1979. A true master with words.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has announced that the House of Representatives will move forward with an official impeachment inquiry against President Trump.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante

Post by Volante »

This'll get duplicated next year as well, but it was announced this year so, loophole!

Jennifer Lopez and Shakira will perform the Super Bowl LIV half time show.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/jen ... w-n1059291
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

the houston astros become the first team in mlb history not to issue an intentional walk in an entire season
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

African-American opera singer (soprano) Jessye Norman has passed away. For Jeopardy! purposes, you'll want to know her performance as Aida.

They also once asked what college she was an alumnus of, but the clue also mentioned Gerald Ford, so you'll be okay not knowing that off the top of your head.

(Last asked on the show 2019-01-04, but they spotted you NORMAN in the category, as well as providing a pic.)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

So far, in addition to a FJ! question, we've had three full Broadway categories this season already: Name a musical from 2-3 character names, Plays and Playwrights, and today's category. In that spirit, here's one that might bear some fruit in a few months: A musical called SIX will be coming to Broadway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/01/thea ... adway.html

It's a combo of two of J!'s favorite topics: Plays/Musicals and British Royalty. It's a musical take on Henry VIII's six (get it, SIX?) wives.

It doesn't get to Broadway until March, so it probably isn't really fair game until late this season or next season, even if it has been in the West End for awhile. I actually saw it while it was in Boston - there's not much to it other that knowing the title, character names (just all six queens), and basic subject matter, although they may manage to connect it to some Henry VIII/wife factoids.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

General Mark Milley of the U.S. Army becomes the 20th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:41 pm General Mark Milley of the U.S. Army becomes the 20th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Ever, or in the Trump administration?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Lee Choon Jae confesses to the Hwaseong Serial Murders in South Korea, murder cases that went unsolved for over 30 years and were the subject of various films and tv series including the highly acclaimed "Memories of Murder"
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:31 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:41 pm General Mark Milley of the U.S. Army becomes the 20th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:49 pm
i found it to be pretty funny as well, and that sea dude and i don't care for one another
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:03 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:49 pm
i found it to be pretty funny as well, and that sea dude and i don't care for one another
I think you and I are each capable and appreciative of good humor.