LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by classicroadster »

My Koin is working super overtime this year, this time on Kuala Lampur/Jakarta which cost me a win. I'm mired mid-rundle, and I've personally found this season very challenging and my Qpct is below my average and I will struggle to get up to the same TCA as my worst non-rookie season. I've found a ton of answers fall under YEKIOYD to me, and I have not known many of them. I mean, I was shocked that 92% knew pesto is made with pine nuts. Huh? I could not identify a pine nut, and no pesto I've ever had has had pine nuts. Now, I have not had pesto at an italian restaurant so maybe that is my bad.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:49 am ...and no pesto I've ever had has had pine nuts...
Are you sure about that? Admittedly, alternatives can be used, but the nuts get pulverized during the making so the sauce itself has no visible nuts.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Volante wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:12 am
classicroadster wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:49 am ...and no pesto I've ever had has had pine nuts...
Are you sure about that? Admittedly, alternatives can be used, but the nuts get pulverized during the making so the sauce itself has no visible nuts.
So, no I guess I'm not. If that's the case, I'm even more surprised that 92% knew it is pine nuts, making it the second highest correct % of the season.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:30 am
So, no I guess I'm not. If that's the case, I'm even more surprised that 92% knew it is pine nuts, making it the second highest correct % of the season.
That was one of my biggest surprises this season. I guess LL on the whole really likes its pesto.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Hrm, I guess this J! was older than I thought: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ight=pesto

It might be cooking shows. Those are, apparently, really big.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:58 am
Hrm, I guess this J! was older than I thought: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ight=pesto

It might be cooking shows. Those are, apparently, really big.
it was on WWTBAM long ago as well
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I somehow managed to confuse the East and West Indies and guessed Havana. Luckily I managed to get Degas, for which my opponent gave me 3 points to squeak out a win. Now, with two days remaining, I still find myself in position for a championship placement. Guess I should start crowdfunding for a replacement laptop so I can actually do it properly when the time comes.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Boy I just love submitting entirely blank sheets. Just nothing clicked at all on 23. Even worse, I was familiar with all six answers, but the clues just weren't leading me anywhere at ALL.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

A bit of a Slumdog Millionaire moment yesterday when managing a rare victory against bomtr. My mother bought a mah-jongg set back when I was in junior high school so I was somewhat familiar with the tiles. And I've stared at the Degas statue in question at the Art Institute of Chicago enough that, after I convinced myself that Rodin could not possibly be the answer (his Burghers of Calais was a commissioned artwork, after all), I managed to come around to the correct answer.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Woof wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:39 pm And I've stared at the Degas statue in question at the Art Institute of Chicago enough that, after I convinced myself that Rodin could not possibly be the answer (his Burghers of Calais was a commissioned artwork, after all), I managed to come around to the correct answer.
Rodin was my only other thought; could he have been the Van Gogh of sculptors? But then where could he have kept all his work meantime?
I'm smart and I want respect.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Lefty wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:10 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:39 pm And I've stared at the Degas statue in question at the Art Institute of Chicago enough that, after I convinced myself that Rodin could not possibly be the answer (his Burghers of Calais was a commissioned artwork, after all), I managed to come around to the correct answer.
Rodin was my only other thought; could he have been the Van Gogh of sculptors? But then where could he have kept all his work meantime?
I locked in on "young girl was the model" and never looked back. I am aware that Degas did a bit of sculpting so I decided that was my answer.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got a 6(4)-1(2) win to bring myself out of the relegation zone going into the last day!

For the explorers question I had Cortez, Pisarro, Balboa, Velazquez, and Ponce de Leon under consideration, but I ultimately went with Pisarro. Considering how we have a Ponce Avenue and a Ponce City Market here in Atlanta I probably should have known which one was most likely to be a place name.

My other miss was on the play. I had never heard of that one.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I am in fourth in my rundle. All of the top three are tied two points ahead of me, but I hold a MPD advantage over all of them. So if I can win and any of them lose, I'm in. (And I am 9 points ahead in the Maso race, so I am guaranteed at least a share of that.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Trying not to make my stay in A rundle a 1-season one, I'm in 25th (one above the relegation zone) and tied in points with the person in 26th, over whom I hold a 3-point edge in MPD. She's the only person who can knock me into the relegation zone. So it all comes down to MD 25!

Note: the 26th-place player has 6 forfeits, although she just had to show up yesterday and pull a 9(6) to remain even with me in points. I'm curious - since players with more than 3 forfeits in a season "may" be forced to sit out the following season (per Rule 19.3) - 2 queries: how often is that rule enforced? And if it's enforced against my rundle-mate, would I remain in A even if I slip behind her today into 26th, since she wouldn't be returning, or would the extra slot be filled by a ronin or by someone who gets a battlefield promotion from B level?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:46 am Trying not to make my stay in A rundle a 1-season one, I'm in 25th (one above the relegation zone) and tied in points with the person in 26th, over whom I hold a 3-point edge in MPD. She's the only person who can knock me into the relegation zone. So it all comes down to MD 25!

Note: the 26th-place player has 6 forfeits, although she just had to show up yesterday and pull a 9(6) to remain even with me in points. I'm curious - since players with more than 3 forfeits in a season "may" be forced to sit out the following season (per Rule 19.3) - 2 queries: how often is that rule enforced? And if it's enforced against my rundle-mate, would I remain in A even if I slip behind her today into 26th, since she wouldn't be returning, or would the extra slot be filled by a ronin or by someone who gets a battlefield promotion from B level?
I think it's always enforced unless there are extenuating circumstances, so the wording is "may".

Just my thought, but I don't see you being relegated so someone could get promoted. I would expect if she lands in non-relegation, she would still be dropped to last place in the rundle by the system due to the number of forfeits, making you in the safe zone.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm just one spot above the relegation line going into the final match day and it's very precarious. The person below me has the same number of points, but has -22 MPD to my -19. I'm still leading my rundle in correct answers against by eight, so luck just hasn't been on my side this season.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Thanks in no small part to a career low in CAA, which is 100% luck, I punched my ticket to the LLRC as of yesterday. Going to be interesting to see how things shake out next summer with the much larger player base.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I managed to lock myself a spot in the championships thanks to missing things I should have known the past 2 days. My opponents rightly gave me a low score on geography questions based on my record, and I managed to get neither of them but get the 3-pointers.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

RJRouge wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:48 pm I managed to lock myself a spot in the championships thanks to missing things I should have known the past 2 days. My opponents rightly gave me a low score on geography questions based on my record, and I managed to get neither of them but get the 3-pointers.
Are you saying you wouldn't have made the championships if you'd gotten those right?
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

It was awkward phrasing, to be sure. The point I was trying to get across was that I missed questions for which I was assigned low points rather than missing other questions instead.